PDA

View Full Version : Slug results Winoku 92 32-20 Deluxe Take Down, sizing advice please?

Canuck Bob
05-29-2011, 12:52 PM
My new Winoku 92 32-20 slugged at .311 groove +0/- .0001 on all lands, Chamber neck .330 +/- .0001. Calibrated Moore and Wright mic at room temp. No heat transfer to mic or slug. Two slugs measured per instructions, dead soft sinker (thumb test though). The lands are .301 on the mic and a Polish workshop vernier caliper so maybe a broader tolerance here, they are narrow and I was a little clumsy here (old eyes and arthritic fingers). For reference my early training included lathe room operator for Timken Roller Bearing. I was required to work and measure to a tenth.

The barrel has no throat except a very sharp ramp from chamber lip to rifling (barely visible). Narrow lands and wide grooves. The barrel and throat are concentric based on the evenness of the grooves. Bore and rifling are very smooth for first 1/2 inch and crown. After close examination the fit and finish of all machining is very good, better be for the price paid!!!

Rem factory lead bullet case measures .3255 loaded neck. With new unfired Rem case an XTP bullet (.3114) carefuly oiled and inserted backward after chamfering neck measures .3260 giving about .004/.0045 to interference fit for case neck and chamber (.330) based on these bullets. I'm guessing the XTP neck would gain that half thou. when ran through a sized case and seating die.

How would you guys size this for an NOE 311316 for this rifle, please?

Would anyone bother to go to the hassle of adding a small throat and softer leade?

Obsessive Compulsive Casting Detail Disorder info for folks afflicted like me and track these things.

Bass Ackward
05-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Size is seldom generic for me unless you stay with a single design and hardness. Desired sizing always seems to vary with hardness, powder speed to bullet hardness and of coarse design. If you are going to run your hardness above the pressure level and the design provides support and guidance, you almost never have to size more than .001 over bore.

If it don't then you gotta chunk it up.

Allot is going to depend on your brass and dies too. 32-20 can be a toughy for enough case neck tension. If you need more, then bigger is going to look better. I'd start at .312 and then open it up if you want to stay with a single sizer.

Does it sound like I'm guessin? Yep, cause the gun is going to tell you everything and it is in your possession right now. :grin:

I would consider throat modification if I wasn't satisfied or had problems with some designs. Otherwise, I have some just as you describe that make you wonder why they ever invented the bolt action.

Canuck Bob
05-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks Bass A, I forgot to include intended alloy and performance. I tried hard to not forget accurate info and forgot the shooting part!

The mould has 2 cavities of the 311316 as PB and one cavity as a GC HP. I'm planning an alloy comparable to WW + 1 or 2 % tin starting with #9 mag shot, roofing lead with 95/5 lead free solder.

The rifle will get a steady diet of the PB castings run around 1600 max depending on performance. A load will be developed for the HP GC bullet with higher velocity for fun and maybe coyotes, 2000 fps max. It will be an iron sighted take down lever so I can't see to shoot reliably much past 100 m anymore, 75 more like it.

Canuck Bob
05-29-2011, 05:05 PM
I would consider throat modification if I wasn't satisfied or had problems with some designs. Otherwise, I have some just as you describe that make you wonder why they ever invented the bolt action.

Missed that, cheered me up. Gearing up to cast and load a new pricey rifle has stretched my budget. Also I did not figure in the nature of these older cartridges for component supply in Canada. A 357 Mag or Colt 45 would have been one stop shopping, not involving foreign borders and gun control headaches from both governments!

We really are under seige for our right to bear arms at every level. Up here they just make sure it is such a big pain and expense for handguns that the handgunner numbers are dropping to nothing. Then there is no no political clout next generation. You guys keep fighting for your rights we are barely holding on up here.

mpmarty
05-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Perhaps if you folks in Canada would join our NRA the organization would then take an interest in your troubles.

Canuck Bob
05-29-2011, 07:23 PM
We have our own association. The problem is that even though we are good neighbours and long term allies we are very different in our social ways. When I was a kid we were all in the UAW back east. Canada got shallowed up by the massive size of the American union. It went a lot better when we cut free with the American union's blessing.

Our new government is much friendlier to us. They are dropping the long gun registry from our legislation. The first move backward in legislation that I can remember.

quasi
05-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Perhaps if you folks in Canada would join our NRA the organization would then take an interest in your troubles.

The NRA? No thank you, we have our own organizations who deal with our own problems.