PDA

View Full Version : high point 995 loves lead, compensator doesnt.

nes4ever69
05-29-2011, 12:21 AM
well i had some fun today. i took my high point 995 out and went through about 300 rounds. lee tl356-124tc 124 grn tumble lube with lla and backed by some tight group powder. shoot dead on accurate and no lead to be found in the barrel.

but the compensator was packed full of lead. had to used a small screw driver and tap on it break the lead out of the slots. good news about that i got some of my lead back to re-melt.

small range i was at, 25 yards and just blowing through ammo keeping nice tight groups. havent been able to do that since i could only afford maybe a box or 2 of cheap winchester ammo.

tcbnick
05-29-2011, 12:36 PM
I did the same last weekend with my 995 just to see if boolits would funshion. And they did with no problems, shooting 115 gr store bought over some bulleye. I did'nt have the lead in the compensator like you but I did not go through as many rounds eather.

Doby45
05-30-2011, 12:51 AM
I just removed my compensator/flash hider as it is kinda hookie.. My 995 LOVEs the Mihec 359 mold as either HP or solid. Solid is approx 134gr and HP is approx 125gr..

dragonrider
05-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Ya comps seldom like lead, one has to resign oneself to difficult cleaning after each range session.

troy_mclure
05-30-2011, 09:30 AM
+1 for removing it, its mostly for looks anyways.

bobthenailer
05-30-2011, 09:53 AM
I have several guns with compensators that i use lead bullets in almost exclusvley I have found that the arrendo comp cleaning tool helps to scrape out pb build up in conjuction with full loads of ball powder AKA 296, H110, Lilgun, #9 & surplus 820 , ECT & jacketed bullets to blast out the lead
in 38 super, 357, 44 , 45, compensated handguns

Doby45
05-30-2011, 11:20 AM
The difference bob is that the HiPoint carbine comp is actually a piece of pot metal junk and is only truly useful for those that want to be tacticool. I am sure your comps on your weapons serve a true purpose and do what a comp is suppose to do. ;)

Echo
05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I did the same last weekend with my 995 just to see if boolits would funshion. And they did with no problems, shooting 115 gr store bought over some bulleye. I did'nt have the lead in the compensator like you but I did not go through as many rounds eather.

Your store-bought's were probably hard-cast, maybe even BB, and so didn't cast off shreds.

'Way back, when I got into competitive shooting in the USAF, I was issued a High-Standard space-gun (muzzle brake, bbl weights). I had to clean the brake a couple times during the year I used it - 22 bullets are swaged soft lead, and leave the muzzle with little tails caused by the rifling. These tails normally blow off as the bullet exits, but with the brake, they collect in the brake, and plug it up. Probably the same with your boolits. They are undoubtedly softer than the store-bought's.