PDA

View Full Version : My 12 yr old daughters Black Bear Hunt 5/2011

CHD
05-28-2011, 11:49 PM
My 12 year old daughter and I had a great spring Black Bear hunt. She finished her hunters safety class last year and was itching to do some hunting. Our dear hunt fell apart and the only fall bears we saw I made her pass on due to shot difficulty or size of bear (I haven't heard the end of it from her either). I knew if we had an opportunity I would be hard pressed to talk her out of it. Luckily we had great weather and greater opportunities to get her close to a nice bear. She took her boar from 78 yards with my 300 WSM. She handled the rifle great, though it did scope her nose. The bear didn't go but 3 feet before laying down and letting out a few death bellows (that unnerved her a bit). I have never seen this girl so excited as when we got up to this bear. It is a great trophy for my young hunter, and I couldn't be prouder.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/hucknheather/IMG_4055.jpg

A few hours later I had an opportunity on another really big bore that I just couldnt let pass. Using my 375 H&H I dumped him in his tracks (luckily right at the waters edge), it was comical Im sure watching my daughter and I try to get this bear in the skiff. He was a pig. Fortunatly that was about as exciting as it got on this hunt (refering to the brown bear hunt last week, another post here on the forum).
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/hucknheather/IMG_4064.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/hucknheather/IMG_4082.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/hucknheather/IMG_4083.jpg

dk17hmr
05-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Nicely done!

Do you take the meat?....the guys that bear hunt around here hunt for the head and hide, in Wyoming its not required to take the meat as it is a "trophy" animal so the hunters treat them like coyotes....When I mentioned eating the bear that we shot in Michigan they all thought I was crazy, I didnt know people didnt take the meat.

CHD
05-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Yep, we take the meat. Makes ok eatin when made into sausage. Fall bears don't have to be salvaged because they've been into the wormy fish, but spring bears you have to salvage the meat.

Larry Gibson
05-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Outstanding hunt with the daughter.....brings back memories of long past hunts with my daughter....thanks.

Larry Gibson

x101airborne
05-29-2011, 03:46 PM
High five to you and your daughter. Congrats all around. Is there anything so terrifying and exciting at the same time sitting next to a first time hunter not able to control the shot and being responsible for the whole works at the same time? And then the excitment of recovering the animal and letting them know how PROUD you are of them.

3 most exciting times in my life
1) coming home from my 3rd deployment for good
2) seein my son come into the world
3) being with my step son on his first hog hunt

Never forget any of them and Im sure you wont either.

Bad Water Bill
05-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Looks like a VERY proud dad and an even prouder and excited daughter. Thanks for sharing a great story.

.452dia
05-30-2011, 01:04 PM
I have three kids (grown now), 2 boys and a girl. Oldest boy loves to hunt and shoot but never has the time. Youngest son likes to shoot but doesn't care that much for hunting (baseball nut). The girl is the baby of the bunch and loves it all. Hunting, Shooting, Fishing Camping and about anything outdoors she loves. I sure miss spending time with all of them but they all have families of their own now.

Enjoy it while you can. Great hunt and nice photos.

Euan
05-31-2011, 03:25 AM
Congrats to you and your daughter. very proud time for you both. I know it was when both my son and daughter had there first succesfull hunt. Great stuff.
Cheers Euan.

Bula
05-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Awesome! Nice work.

RugerFan
05-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Very nice indeed! I've never gotten a fall bear, but spring bears are sure good eating. Can't wait to give it a go again.

shooterg
06-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Those pictures will be treasured forever - great memory she'll be able to share with the great-grandchildren !

jmsj
06-01-2011, 11:39 PM
CHD,
Congratulations to both of you!!
You must be proud of your daughter. My daughter is about to turn 11 and has been going hunting with me since she was 5. She has taken some small game but has not asked to shoot any big game yet. That is if you don't count the time when she was three and asked if she could shoot a black bear with my 44 Mag. pistol.
Congrats again, jmsj