PDA

View Full Version : Kissing the rifling, How much?

stubert
05-28-2011, 07:33 PM
I recently got a Lee gas checked 500 grain mold. I am loading reduced loads in a .458 Lott. I loaded 10 and when I checked them to see how they chambered, I had to push them in the last 1/32 of an inch. When I ejected them they showed light rifling marks. These are for a # 1 ruger. Should I seat them deeper? The boolit is the Lee C457-500, It is pretty blunt. Pressure issues? #2 alloy @ 1900 fps. Thanks, Stu

Von Gruff
05-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Stu, if you can eject an unfired cartridge without de-booliting then the light rifling marks on the chambered round is very ggod for alignment of the cast boolit and should result in the best start for accuracy - all other things being equal. With a light 1/32 engagement there are no pressure issues so you should be good to go.

Von Gruff.

btroj
05-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Pressure won't be an issue. Biggest problem with a #1 is the lack of camping force to engrave the rifling. As long as you can close the action you are fine.
In a bolt gun I like to be firmly into the lands.

HollowPoint
05-28-2011, 10:39 PM
A good analogy of what you've just described is a sort of "French-Kiss" of the bullet making tangible contact with your rifling.:kissarse:

When a bullet has a slight gap or jump before it makes contact with the rifling, that's called a "Hollywood-Kiss;" where you don't actually make contact with the rifling, you just go through the motions.:popcorn:

OK, OK, I'm just messing around. The previous two replies are far more accurate than mine.:kidding:

I personally like for my bullets to just barely leave a hint of rifling engraved on the front end of my bullet.

HollowPoint

felix
05-28-2011, 11:18 PM
It really boils down to ignition characteristics desired. Harder the seating, faster the rise-time. Bore rider noses, i.e. long noses, should be of the proper diameter to play the same game. Boolit hardness plays a significant role and must be taken in conjunction with seating width/depth. This is where Prof Gun comes into play more than anything else. Everything changes with primer/powder selection as well. ... felix

PatMarlin
05-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Below is a target I shot at NCBS last weekend with NV curmudgeon Bill's Jesebell.

Ruger model 77 in 35 Whelen. 100 yards scoped off the bench. You had to really press that bolt in hard to get it to chamber. RCBS 35 200 with 20grs on 2400. Very first shot was the flyer.

A little harder than I've ever loaded but look what it did...

http://www.patmarlins.com/nvjessabelltarget.jpg

Bass Ackward
05-29-2011, 08:52 AM
You sound surprised Pat. :grin:

You need to shoot more often. You still own a 35 don't you?

For me, it's 53 gr RL15 using that bullet or my copy of it for hunting.

stubert
05-29-2011, 12:53 PM
hopefully they will be acurate

PatMarlin
05-29-2011, 01:11 PM
I've gotten 4 more since I put you on my ignore list John ...:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
05-29-2011, 03:00 PM
:kidding: For you guys who don't know me and BA John have been teasing each other back and forth for a lot of years now.

He gives me a bad time about not getting much shooing in the past few years.

I can still and shoot though. HA!

Tom W.
05-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Yup, that's YOUR story.. I think you may still be addled from rescuing that cat....

MT Gianni
05-29-2011, 09:13 PM
I have several target loads that will not extract under many conditions but need to be shot out. I have absolutely no hunting loads that are hard to seat or do not eject. What you are doing is a lot of it and your rifle will let you know.

Artful
05-30-2011, 01:50 AM
I have several guns that really like the bullet harder into the Leade - My biggest concern is does it shoot better (I'll usually put anywhere from .010 to .020 jump to just touching to .020 into the lead and try 'em)

PatMarlin
05-30-2011, 11:59 AM
One thing that did cross my mind though-

I asked Bill if he crimped those carts and he said no. And he said "why do it when we are feeding them one at a time."

But having to close them so hard made me wonder about potentially seating the boolit back farther in the case, which I guess doesn't make any difference if you factored that into your load.