PDA

View Full Version : All You Ever Wanted to Know About Leading

ColColt
05-28-2011, 12:35 PM
...but were afraid to ask. This is one of if not the most informative articles about the causes of leading I've seen. Seasoned vets will have no doubt read this and know it already but, if you're struggling with this problem and wondering what's the cause and don't mind a little reading, this is excellent and should give you a proper diagnosis.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm

williamwaco
05-28-2011, 08:40 PM
I have been casting bullets for a very long time. I have solved a lot of cast bullet problems through trial and error. All that is in the past.

I have never encountered a problem in casting that this man has not solved and written about. And: when you read his solutions, you know not just how to fix it, but why it works.

If you are casting bullets and have not read these articles and now his complete book, you are casting blindfolded.

cbrick
05-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I have been casting bullets for a very long time. I have solved a lot of cast bullet problems through trial and error. All that is in the past.

I have never encountered a problem in casting that this man has not solved and written about. And: when you read his solutions, you know not just how to fix it, but why it works.

If you are casting bullets and have not read these articles and now his complete book, you are casting blindfolded.

No kiddin . . . Where was Glen 30 years ago when I was beating my head against wall and pulling my hair out. :mrgreen:

Rick

Three44s
05-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Very good!!

I'll add just one product:

CorrosionX

I use this as my cleaning agent in tandem with a Copper Chore Boy more often these days.

And when I am all finished, I run a good amount of it back into the bore and chamber or cylinder and swab it out and then dry patch it out.

You'll be amazed at how things don't like to stick to metal treated with CorrosionX.

Here's an example:

The soot and deposits you get all over a stainless revolver are very visible. Before I started using CorrosionX, I'd have to use bore solvent to clean off the exterior.

NOW, you can simply wipe it off with a swipe of your finger or a soft rag.

Only the really burned on sections such as the front of the cylinder require anything more. The rest of the gun looks like a mirror after a single swipe.

The internals clean much easier as well and lead is no exception.

As I break in a new to me gun for lead, I clean with USP or JB bore paste and CorrosionX and Copper Chore Boy if it's called for. Swab it down with CorrosionX for the "final" and dry patch that out.

Once the internals stay cleaner (usually two cleaning sessions) the bore paste is not used often. The copper chore boy gives way to just a bronze bore brush. The CorrosionX is still in the mix.

Three 44s