PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats

floodgate
12-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Though I've been enamoured of guns and their gear all my life, I've never gotten "into" hunting - nothing against it; I've just never tried it. But moving to the "country" has given me a new perspective, at least as regards predators. This past Fall and Winter, the neighborhood has suffered a real plague of bobcats. We have a big "Hav-A-Hart" trap with live bait compartment, and trapped two big adults a couple of months back (It's amazing what an "attitude adjustment" an obstreporous rooster will undergo, after a night next to an angry 'cat!). But they must have had a big litter, because then we were swamped with half-grown kits - small enough to squeeze through the electric fence between the hot wires - who cleaned out a dozen of our chickens and three ducks. We called the Government Hunter in for help, and he got three; we trapped two and I got another with my Stevens 24 .22LR / .20 ga. in the act of killing two chickens; anchored him with #3 Buck at a longish 35 yards and finished him with the .22. (Legal, as he was in the "act of depredation".) Thought we'd cleaned them out, but then Xmas eve we lost another chicken. Put the half-eaten carcass on the trip platform and set it as light as it would hold, but he somehow sneaked it away without tripping the trap. I left it set and un-baited last night, too much rain to set a live chicken out in the live-bait compartment overnight, and - Lo! and behold! - the cat wandered in to see if there were any morsels left over and tripped the trap on himself. Ever see that "Oh S**T! expression on a cat's face? He's - uh - "relocated" now; hope that's the last of them.

Happy New Year to all!

floodgate

carpetman
12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Floodgate--I had a kitten that was too light to spring the trap. Placed an ingot on the platform and it reduced the trigger pull enough to do the job.

MT Gianni
12-27-2006, 06:10 PM
If the fur is prime Montana bobcats are getting a good price. I heard $350 for a nice pale one. Gianni.

wills
12-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Now Carpetman is gonna be down at the High School trying to trap the mascot

Scrounger
12-27-2006, 06:47 PM
If the fur is prime Montana bobcats are getting a good price. I heard $350 for a nice pale one. Gianni.

I guess Carpetman is a millionaire then...

felix
12-27-2006, 07:19 PM
If not now, he will be! ... felix

Scrounger
12-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Now Carpetman is gonna be down at the High School trying to trap the mascot

Yeah this mascot:

wills
12-28-2006, 09:11 AM
That is the college mascot, the high school mascot is a bobcat.
http://www.angelo.edu/gallery/new_pics/images/asuhome21.jpg
or
http://www.angelo.edu/gallery/new_pics/images/asuhome48.jpg

shooter2
12-28-2006, 11:14 AM

Perhaps more than that. A really nice tom with "rosette" spots will go well over $500.

mag_01
12-28-2006, 01:30 PM
----------------Hay we are talking at least one new gun here-----skin em---Mag