PDA

View Full Version : Scope recommendation for ruger scout rifle?

mpbarry1
05-27-2011, 01:18 AM
The red dot scope has outlived its usefulness. It is hard to work up a load with a 4 MOA dot. Especially since my old eyes are seeing two dots!

What scope would you recommend for this frontier?

dualsport
05-27-2011, 01:53 AM
On the cheap end I've read good reviews for the NcStar 2x7. Leupold and Burris make some good scout scopes. LER scopes are a bit different than a pistol scope, eaiser to see thru at closer distance from your eye.

lbaize3
05-27-2011, 10:51 AM
My eyes are old, too. So I took off the back sight and mounted a Redfield 2X7. Works extremely well on my GRS rifle. Only 150 dollars on most web sites. It also looks and balances well on the rifle.

Larry Gibson
05-27-2011, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't go "cheap" with that Ruger rifle, be like putting retreads on a Corvette and expecting racing performance. The Leupold 2X scout or the Burris 2.75X scout are the obvious choices for that scout rifle. You won't be disappointed with either.

Larry Gibson

mpbarry1
05-27-2011, 06:33 PM
I think u are right Larry. Dangit. I wanted to spend all my money on wheel weights ...

You live pretty close to me! Ever get over to La Grande?

tdoor4570
05-27-2011, 07:21 PM
2x BSApistol scope I use them on 8mm Mausers and have never had a problem

Blammer
05-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I like weaver 2x8 handgun scopes for my "scout" scope set up.

Larry Gibson
05-28-2011, 01:13 PM
I think u are right Larry. Dangit. I wanted to spend all my money on wheel weights ...

You live pretty close to me! Ever get over to La Grande?

Assuming you mean La Grande, Oregon(?) as there is a La Grande, Washington. I get to La grande, Oregon several times a year to visit and hunt. I lived there for 18 years and still own property out by Thief Valley.

Larry Gibson

Hang Fire
05-28-2011, 08:12 PM
2x BSApistol scope I use them on 8mm Mausers and have never had a problem

Have to agree, for a cheapo scope, mine has performed well on my cheapo MN scout that gets rough usage as my truck gun.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/SSC3_op_800x366.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
05-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I have a Leapers 1.25-4X on my Mini 14, that I bought from Pyramid Air the air gun people. It cost 79.95. It has a lighted green or red mildot reticle.

I haven't ran it illuminated while shooting yet but it would come in handy at night or poor light. The optics are very good and clear all the way to the outsides of the field of view.

I just did a rifle class at Front Sight and ran 500 rounds thru the gun. After zeroing to 200 yards while there, the scope didn't move and performed flawlessly.

It even came with pop up lens covers.

I put a Leupold 1.5-5X VXIII on my Ruger Gunsite Scout. It was used and I paid $300 from a friend. It does't have a lighted reticle just standard duplex. It did not come with lens covers, I had to buy them separate. It has very good optics and the image is clear all the way to the outer edges of the lenses.

Only time will tell if the Leupold is actually better than the Leapers as far as actual service goes. Since I could buy 3 of those for what I have in the Leupold, and they have a lifetime warrantee too. ???

It is pretty much what you like the looks of best. After shooting my Scout yesterday. I think it could do with a 2-7 variable.

I don't use the Scout mounting I don't like them and can't see much difference over a iron sighting set up. I used the Ruger rings for both rifles.

I like my new RGS !!!

Randy