PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bear Hunt

CHD
05-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Hey guys just got back from hunting the back yard (well 50 miles back anyway). Went back chasing Brown Bears with a buddy. He stuck his with his bow, and I took mine with my pistol. Amazing hunt! I know you all wont believe this story, but I swear its true. Ill add some pics to try and verify for you naysayers. My pal stalked to 40 yards on a 8 footer, put one arrow into him, pissed him off. Im trying to keep the boat from going high and dry on the ebbing tide in a fast moving river, but am taking pictures from the boat. The bear goes back to feeding while his sides get slicked up with blood. When my friend goes to nock his second arrow the bear hears him. He holds his shot till the bear is turned away from him. The second shot got his attention, and after an intense roar and roll on the ground comes up taking off after my pal. I dropped my camera and grabbed for my rifle in time to see this bear 5 yards off my pals backside as they dissapear into the forrest. I fired one round off into the air while doing a running long jump to the shore (came about 4 feet short and landed in 3' water), I knew I'd be shooting a bear off my buddies corpse. By the time I got 10 yards up the shore my friend comes high tailing it out of the woods, no bear in tow luckily. My hearts in my throat expecting a charging bear any second. I asked him if he was allright and he is really shaken up and says he got me. I see he's got blood on his face and ask him where he's hurt. The bear bit him in the left butt cheek and chomped down twice, then thanks be to God took off into the forest. After dropping his drawers we could see three puncture wounds and a lot of swelling about to start. It didnt bleed much though. We found claw marks on his right lower leg he never felt happen, but was saved by some heavy rubber boots. After waiting 45 minutes to an hour we stalked the blood trail into the forest about a mile, it started getting dark (and our forests are THICK). We got out of there before it was totally dark with a wounded brownie. The next morning we went in at 5 am and tried to pick up his trail, tough going since there was rain over night. We ended up coming back to town to get his rear checked out by someone a bit more qualified than me. Hoping to go back out tomorrow to look for him.
My hunt was pale in comparison. I stalked up to a small bear feeding on the tidal grass flats, it was too small to shoot, but I didnt have anything better to do so I stuck around to watch him. I decided if I could get within 50 yards of it I'd use my 4" Smithy 500 on him (always wanted to do that). Thanks to all your help I've been casting my own 440gr. GC boolits that the gun has an appetite for. I tell you it felt like catching a steelhead on a fly you tied yourself but amplify the adrenaline a couple hundred times. The first shot took out his shoulder and through the boiler room, second shot was wild, third took him from stern to stem, found the boolit under the skin by his neck. Performance was awesome, maybe a bit too hard of a bullet, not much mushroom but the penetration was tremendous. I weighed the boolit at 399 gr. after traversing the bear. Small or not I'd do it again (measures out at 19 3/8" skull and 6' rug), an amazing hunt and great memory with a dear friend I'm happy to still have around by the grace of God. We wont break the rules again. Always have a back up shooter when using a bow.
Shoot Straight :)http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/hucknheather/IMG_4452.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/hucknheather/IMG_4696.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/hucknheather/IMG_8864.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/hucknheather/IMG_4519.jpg
:Fire::Fire::Fire:

waksupi
05-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Well, as long as y'all had fun!

:Fire::Fire::Fire:

[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

:awesome::awesome::awesome:

Nrut
05-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Great story!
Beautiful country..
Amazing the penetration those heavy slow moving slug..
I think I would leave bow hunting for black bears myself..:shock:

dk17hmr
05-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I want to go hunting with you guys!!!

I deer and elk hunt with old guys that think Im crazy for hunting more than a mile from camp...not sure what they would think of a spot and stalk brown bear bow hunt.....Im game.

RugerFan
05-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Performance was awesome, maybe a bit too hard of a bullet, not much mushroom but the penetration was tremendous.

Too hard? No way. Penetration is key when hunting the big meanies. don't worry about mushrooming. Those big flat nose boolits will cause plenty of internal damage. Good job by the way. Excellent hunt! I'll be moving back to AK (Anchorage area) by August and hope to take a Brownie at some point. My Toklat Grizz rug needs some company.

jmsj
05-27-2011, 10:37 PM
CHD,
Man, now that's quite a story !!
Glad your friend made it and congratulations on the bear. Not all trophies are measured by size.
jmsj

white eagle
05-27-2011, 11:52 PM
great story
I am afraid with my hip the bear would
have had me for sure
no running for this kid

fatnhappy
05-28-2011, 12:29 AM
great story
I am afraid with my hip the bear would
have had me for sure
no running for this kid

Not me. As much as I like to bowhunt, my HMO doesn't cover antagonizing angry animals. I'll take the handgun.

Glad your buddy with the masticated fart locker is OK.

redneckdan
05-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I want to go hunting with you guys!!!

I deer and elk hunt with old guys that think Im crazy for hunting more than a mile from camp...not sure what they would think of a spot and stalk brown bear bow hunt.....Im game.

I'll back you up with my .375 H&H ICBMs. I've gotten pretty good at working that magnum mauser action without smacking myself in the face with the end of the bolt. :guntootsmiley:

Doc Highwall
05-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Just remember when you are hunting bears with somebody else you do not have to run faster then the bear, but you do have to run faster then your buddy.
That folks is the bear facts!

CHD
05-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Fatnhappy you had me rolling. Masticated Fart Locker! Gotta share that one with him. Had the state trooper wildlife guys call, wanted to know all the details. Guess they consider that an attack even though it was provoked. Four years till Im allowed to hunt again is a long time to wait till I get to go after another brownie! Listen to me complain, my tag cost $20. Guess I should start saving now. I should post another thread on the Black Bear hunt my 12 year old daughter and I went on. Think I just might.

missionary5155
05-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Greetings
Thank you for taking the time to post all the story with photos. I really enjoyed it ! Although as a bow hunter I think I would opt for a 12 guage backup loaded with round ball at 1600 fps.
Mike in Peru

LUCKYDAWG13
05-30-2011, 05:47 PM
great story thank you