PDA

View Full Version : cap keeper?

troy_mclure
05-24-2011, 08:10 AM
what do you keep your percussion caps in?

for range, storage, and hunting?

i just dropped the stupid tin(cci) and spent 20 mins picking them up off the floor.

Jim
05-24-2011, 08:35 AM
A few years back, I decided to make my bag period correct, just for the fun of it. I cut a section of branch, drilled a hole in it and made a plug for it. It's lashed to the strap on my bag and hangs right in front of me where I can get right to it. I pull the plug, tip the holder to get a cap, put the plug back in and I'm done.

http://jgcphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/photos-0191-e1306240302484.jpg

gnoahhh
05-24-2011, 09:02 AM
I started using a Ted Cash pistol capper that holds a tin of caps, 20+ years ago, and never looked back. I have one devoted to #11's for rifles and shotguns and one with #10's for pistols. I blackened the lid with black powder slurry on the pistol capper so as not to get them mixed up. Period correct storage usually means period correct fumbling the caps into the dead leaves at my feet due to my clumsy fingers!:oops:

troy_mclure
05-24-2011, 09:21 AM
I started using a Ted Cash pistol capper that holds a tin of caps, 20+ years ago, and never looked back. I have one devoted to #11's for rifles and shotguns and one with #10's for pistols. I blackened the lid with black powder slurry on the pistol capper so as not to get them mixed up. Period correct storage usually means period correct fumbling the caps into the dead leaves at my feet due to my clumsy fingers!:oops:

ive got a plastic version of that, not too reliable as the caps tend to turn.

troy_mclure
05-24-2011, 09:22 AM
A few years back, I decided to make my bag period correct, just for the fun of it. I cut a section of branch, drilled a hole in it and made a plug for it. It's lashed to the strap on my bag and hangs right in front of me where I can get right to it. I pull the plug, tip the holder to get a cap, put the plug back in and I'm done.

how deep/wide is the hole?

Jim
05-24-2011, 09:42 AM
The branch piece is 7/8" diameter by 3 1/4" long. The hole is 3/8" diameter by 2" deep. I can get about 20 caps in it with the plug seated. The holder is lashed to the bag strap and I put a lanyard in the end of the plug so I don't loose it. It worked out good.

Hanshi
05-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I use to keep rifle caps in an old pill box that allowed one cap to drop out easily into the hand. It had a sliding closer, was flat, small and made of plastic. It worked very well. I eventually made leather cappers that I can hand from around my neck and they work splendidly. Even made one for musket caps. I used different thicknesses of leather depending on style.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/PICT0499.jpg