PDA

View Full Version : Mauser receiver sights?

Hackleback
12-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Is there a receiver sight that uses the same holes as a scope mount base? I would prefer not to swiss cheese the reciver if posible. BTW, this is a scout rifle project that is about to be sent off to the smith.

Thanx

Larry Gibson
12-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Is there a receiver sight that uses the same holes as a scope mount base? I would prefer not to swiss cheese the reciver if posible. BTW, this is a scout rifle project that is about to be sent off to the smith.

Thanx

Depends on the spacing of the holes. I have matched up a couple of Williams WGRS receiver sights. Had to slightly elongate one of the holes in the base of one but it wasn't difficult with needle files and wasn't visable after mounting.

Larry Gibson

versifier
12-26-2006, 01:54 PM
There are ones that attach to the rear scope base. I think they are made by NECG, anyway Midway and Brownells both stock them. If that is not what you had in mind and want something lower, the rear ring is not crucial from a strength standpoint, and an extra hole isn't really going to hurt anything, nor will it show if the sight is installed correctly. Like Larry said, it might not even be an issue, and your gunsmith can take measurements to figure out if one or another will work without the hassle of d&t'ing another hole. BTW, check out the XS scout mount base for Mausers. I will be installing one on mine this winter. It mounts with one setscrew and Acraglass epoxy. Post some photos when you get it back.

Hackleback
12-27-2006, 11:15 AM
OK, been looking around at sights a bit and was visiting the williams site. It apears that the WGRS-FN (#17778) is something like what I was intirested in. It states that this uses a 1/2" hole spacing. Is this a standard spacing for a Mauser scope base? With this sight, do you need to grind off the charging hump?

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/gunsightsdefault.htm
In the way of scope mounts, I have been told that you can D&T the bbl and use a Weaver rail that is intended for a Contender. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts or comments on the rail concept?

The XS scout scope base looks easy to install, though from the pictures on the site, it looks bulky.

Thanks for the commentS evereyone!!!

versifier
12-27-2006, 02:37 PM
OK, been looking around at sights a bit and was visiting the williams site. It apears that the WGRS-FN (#17778) is something like what I was intirested in. It states that this uses a 1/2" hole spacing. Is this a standard spacing for a Mauser scope base? With this sight, do you need to grind off the charging hump?

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/gunsightsdefault.htm
In the way of scope mounts, I have been told that you can D&T the bbl and use a Weaver rail that is intended for a Contender. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts or comments on the rail concept?

The XS scout scope base looks easy to install, though from the pictures on the site, it looks bulky.

Thanks for the commentS evereyone!!!

There really is no "standard spacing" for an older rifle. Every company that makes mounts is/was a world unto themselves. When they are the same, it is more a lucky chance than anything else. The only time they tend to standardize is when the reciever comes from the factory already drilled and tapped, and mil Mausers don't fit that catagory.

I am not sure if you need to grind the rear ring down, but it is very likely. You can ask them at Brownells or Williams directly and they will tell you what you need to know.

My first mauser project involved removing the rear sight and then d&t'ing for a base (I don't remember which one, it was in the box of used spares at the local gunshop. I bedded it with epoxy and it stood up well for 20 years until I lent the rifle two years ago and the guy that borrowed it didn't properly tighten the scope rings, which tore up the aluminum base. That is the rifle I'm putting the new mount onto. I figured if I was going to upgrade, I'd do it right this time and not dub with adapting something to it.

Antietamgw
12-28-2006, 01:03 AM
You can use the Weaver base for the Contender, #92 if I recall. These work great on a military barrel. I've done a number of them using the Weaver base, the Burris scout base and a couple other odd bases for various reasons. The Burris is good for sporter contour barrels. I believe the Weaver is the way to go on military barrels for a few reasons. It is simple, strong and fits well on military barrels without much extra work. If you look at the hole positions on the base you will see that center of the 4 mounting holes is offset or closer to one end of the base. When the base is set properly you can use a Scout or EER scope with the base in the rearward position. If you wanted to use a handgun scope with longer eye relief, you just reverse the base and gain some eye relief with the base rather than trying to get all the extra eye relief needed by moving the rings forward. A lousy explanation so I figured to attach a pic. Unfortunately the only one I could find is using a TC scope with the rail. If your 'smith hasn't done one of these before you might want to get your scope, rings and base together ahead of time and play with it a bit. Also, though the barrel/base fit is close, it isn't perfect. It can easily be made perfect by bedding the base to the barrel or machining the base to fit. As far as a receiver sight goes, the WGRS will fit a military action though I think you will need to remove the stripper clip guides. It also requires a higher front sight than a Lyman 57, 5D or Foolproof. I want to keep the clip guides and want to keep the iron sights a low as possible. I thought I might try to modify an '03A3 rear sight - the M1 carbine sight is a bit too long. Simple and low is what I had in mind. If I can't come up with something like that, I'll use a Lyman 57.