PDA

View Full Version : thats alot of patches!

troy_mclure
05-23-2011, 07:31 PM
went patch material hunting today. of 3 fabric/hobby stores in town(and good will) non had any linen(only one even knew what it was), and none even heard of "pillow ticking", i couldnt find the striped material often described as it on here either.

i took my micrometer in with me, at hobby lobby found the tightest weave cotton cloth that was .01+.

it was 8oz bulldrill, its .015.

i paid $6 for a yard. this should last the rest of my life. lol

now i just need a 1 gallon jug of t/c bore butter and a large hole puncher.

waksupi
05-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Don';t need the punch, rip strips, and cut them square. Lots faster, works just as well.

northmn
05-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Don';t need the punch, rip strips, and cut them square. Lots faster, works just as well.

Probably better as you get perfect centering. If you insist on precut cut them square as that also works as well. Also, Crisco works as well as Bore Butter. I have used both. For shooting a lot of shots in a row you need a liquid lube like Young 103 like Maven recommends or NAPA oil and water or just plain spit. I buy patching in that manner and do not need to buy any for sometime yet as it is the best way. A bag of 100 patches cost nearly that much.

DP

troy_mclure
05-24-2011, 01:15 PM
here in south louisiana bore butter IS liquid. lol

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-24-2011, 05:10 PM
borrow the old ladys rotary cutter for qilting or get one of your own , they use them with a 24 inch ruler on a rubber mat to cut very accuratly thier quilt squares and cut often 2-4 thickneses of fabric at a time 10 minutes and your fabric will be in strips nice square edges cut by the round razor blade

square patches don't seem to affect accuracy under 100 yards for me and the range is only 100 long so it doesn't come up much that i shoot longer than that.

i get the old lady's flannel scraps from when she backs a quilt in flannel they are working for me and since i already paid for them when she bought the quilt fabric i might as well use them

yes the term old lady is used in a nice way she is however a few days older than I

for lube we have been using 1/3 hydrogen peroxide , 1/3 rubbing alchohol , 1/3 murphys soap oil in a small spray bottle a spray on the patch wets it. we often get 20 + rounds without swabbing the barrel and it keeps the fouling soft.

nanuk
06-08-2011, 08:52 PM
yes the term old lady is used in a nice way she is however a few days older than I

My "Ol' Lady" is a year and a half older than me... When we meet her sisters for lunch, I am always the youngest at the table.