PDA

View Full Version : [Young Country] 103 BP Patch Lube

Maven
05-22-2011, 06:33 PM
In warmer weather I use saliva as a patch lube even though it means swabbing the bbl. after seating the RB in all of my muzzleloaders except my Trade Gun.* However, at an organized shoot, especially if it's a woods walk, I don't want to waste everyone's time doing so. Thus, I was looking for "the better way." I.e., a lube that would keep the BP fouling soft and allow multiple accurate shots without having to swab the bore during a match. At our club's match last week, as well as practicing yesterday, and shooting in a woods walk today, I used 103 Lube (aka Young Country 103 Lube) exclusively. While it was humid on those 3 occasions, the 103 Lube worked perfectly, meaning I didn't need to swab the bbl. at all for 20+ shots. Loading was no more difficult after the 20th shot than it was after the first either. By way of contrast, another shooter used oil of wintergreen scented pre-lubed store bought patches and asked how come I didn't have to swab during the shoot. None of the other 3 in my group did either, but I was the only one using the 103 product. In other words, lots of things work as patch lubes, but this one works well enough for me to recommend it. (And no, I don't work for the manufacturer.) Btw, T/C yellow Bore Butter works pretty well too, as the Ox Yoke/Traditions Wonder Lube stuff. In fact, the Ox Yoke is my second choice for prelubing my patch strips. Here's a link to one distributor of both lubes: http://www.octobercountry.com/products2.php?categoryid=326

*When I don't remove the saliva left behind, accuracy worsens appreciably except in the Trade Gun.

NickSS
05-23-2011, 05:54 AM
I have been using saliva for patch lube for something like 45 years and have never had to wipe the bore before or after loading the round. I have fired up to 100 rounds over several days of competion without cleaning my rifle till the end of the match without any problem. The only time I have ever used some other patch lube was when the rifle would be loaded for extended periods of time like when hunting. I then have used several different concoctions over the years. So based on my experience I can only say that what you say about your experience does not compute.

Maven
05-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Actually Nick, it does [compute]. Last March, I went to our range and used a rifle of known accuracy and with the same components I used in the past. Accuracy, which had been great in the past, was now so-so. A few weeks later, the same thing happened with a second rifle, with a different ignition system (flintlock and caplock, respectively). Meanwhile, I was quite pleased with the spit patch in both rifles as I didn't have to swab between shots (a huge convenience). After some pondering, it occurred to me that the only thing I'd done differently was to leave the bores wet after seating the ball with a spit patch. My next trip to the range was with the same rifle (the flintlock) I did everything the same except I dry patched/swabbed the bore after seating the RB with a spit patch. Accuracy returned to what it had once been in that rifle, and isubsequent outings, in my caplock as well. In short, saliva is my 1st choice for a patch lube when conditions merit it, but 103 Lube is my lube of choice when they don't.

RBak
05-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Never heard of the 103 before, but I do like what you had to say, and having followed your 'doings' for years on the forum, you've never led anyone astray that I'm aware of.

As an aside, don't want to get off your topic.....
However, I am on my last bottle of Lehigh Valley lube that has been my go-to lube for a long time now....can't rightfully say why, but I had it, I liked it, and I used it.
I bought a case of 24 bottles of 6.7oz each, back around the mid 1990's...this particular lube was made in Mexico, New York by Lestom Labs, Inc. and is no longer available, or so I'm told. (yep, Mexico, New York!)
In fact, I was told the same formula or very near the same was now made and distributed by October Country, but when I was looking at your link I couldn't find it.

After Lehigh Valley, my second and all time favorite lube for a roundball is plain ol' spit.

Someone here once said that 'lubes' were made for conical boolits, and spit was created for round ball and patch.
Until something better shows up I think they may be on to something.

Perhaps if we could get flavors added to the sizing a spit patch just might get a little more popular, but until they do that I do think I am going to give that 103 a try.

Russ

NickSS
05-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Well I personally never saw a loss of accuracy so either your saliva is different or the several rifles I use this method in are different from yours. However, I will say that this is possible though I have never noticed it.

Maven
05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
NickSS, You could be right about my saliva and/or rifles, but I've learned not to generalize about such things: Different guns often have different requirements. If the weather clears in the next day or so (We have Seattle weather here now.), I'll be back at the range and using spit patches for the reasons mentioned in my earlier response.

RBak, Thanks for the compliment! You're right, I haven't seen Lehigh [Valley] lube lately either, but for years have used Winchester Sutler's "Moose Milk" and really liked it (still do, but saliva is cheaper!). Btw, Dixie's "Old Slickum," also works very well and may be Murphy's Oil Soap + water + a bit of rubbing alcohol.

northmn
05-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Try the old treeid and true NAPA water soluable oil and water. May have to play with the mixture. Some are surprised to find that just plain water will also work. Someone did an experiment a while back on that. Patch lubes also seem to be humidity sensitive as to effectiveness. Some of the all purpose commercial cleaners like the green stuff also make good lubes and are about half the price of "patch lubes" . Spit is cheap but on hot days needs priming. Maybe the form of priming makes a difference. Although alcohol based priming should be saved for after shooting. In essense the type of lube you are talking about cleans the bore when loading such that the fouling remains relatively stable.

DP

Maven
05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
DP, Several years ago 44man recommended 103 Lube to me, but I hadn'tt given it a fair test until the other day. As I indicated in my original post, it works very well and can be a time saver if you pre-lube (and "nuke") your patch strips. However, during the warmer months and when I'm at the range by myself, spit patches work exceptionally well and there's never an issue of cost or availability either.

northmn
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
DP, Several years ago 44man recommended 103 Lube to me, but I hadn'tt given it a fair test until the other day. As I indicated in my original post, it works very well and can be a time saver if you pre-lube (and "nuke") your patch strips. However, during the warmer months and when I'm at the range by myself, spit patches work exceptionally well and there's never an issue of cost or availability either.

I used to shoot bulleye competition where you had 20 minutes for 5 shots and had different targets to shoot during the day and had to do a lot fo shooting. I think part of my distaste for spit lube was that I did prefer prelubed patching as compared to moistening the patch for every shot. I am not saying the 103 is not good stuff. I do think in a competition setting I would prefer a good lube over spit. I have used spit for a lube upon occasion off the bench for load trials and have used it to clean the bore when I wipe. For casual shooting it does work. I ahve tried a lot of different stuff and have not seen any real big advantage of one over the other. At the expense of some of the commercial "patch" lubes I have gravitated toward less expensive alternatives. I admit that in some things I am a bit cheap. When I shot bulleye matches I would use a lube that held up for 5 shots and then wipe out the bore. I usually fired a fouling shot before the next relay. I would win on occasion with that routine, so I stayed with it.

DP