PDA

View Full Version : Fouling dilemma

captaint
05-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Sounds stupid, doesn't it??? I know. Here's the deal - I have a nice old model 41 that has the supressor on the barrel. I usually shoot this pistol every other week, indoors, and clean maybe every 6 or so weeks.
While cleanin it last nite, I notice there's gunk in the slots in the supressor. Easy, right??
Not easy. the fouling is rock hard. I mean I couldn't chip it with a hard toothpick!! So - I soak the supressor in Hoppes overnight, thinking that'll do that.......I'll finish it in the morning. Wrong. It's still just as hard as ever. It's almost silvery looking. There's even some in the tubular part, like at the end of the barrel.
I'm pretty sure the supressor is aluminum (easy to find out for sure), so some care will be necessary.
So, anybody ever seen this. And if so, what do I have to do to get it gone???
Thanks in advance for any ideas. Mike[smilie=b:

martinibelgian
05-22-2011, 04:18 PM
I presume you mean muzzle brake - and that silvery stuff will probably be lead...

captaint
05-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, muzzle break. I wish it was lead. It's hard as hell. I've never seen anything like it. I thought sure after a good soak it would soften up and away we go. AND, when I got the gun, last January, it had a little of this, but not like now..... Mike

captaint
05-22-2011, 05:48 PM
martinibelgian - As it turns out - YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR... Lead it is. Got it clean enough to really SEE it. Now to figure out how to get it out. I don't want to heat it up that much to melt it. It is aluminum and has a highly polished anodized finish. I'll think of something... Thanks Mike

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-22-2011, 06:03 PM
I had a Model 41 years back with the same set up as you have, and also remember the fouling build up.

However, it jsut was never a big issue.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot