PDA

View Full Version : Heritage 22 convertible

zardoz
05-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Oh well, what can I say? I went into a gun shop today, and asked about Glock 27's, and then .308 bolt actions, and was really just browsing. I had almost turned to leave, when I do the Columbo "Oh yea, just one more thing...."

I asked if they had one of those Ruger Single Six convertibles, and the young pups behind the counter had question marks floating over their heads. Then, the gray haired man, says, "We got a convertible down there at the bottom, but it's not a Ruger." So, I spy it, and take a look. Less than half the price of a Single-Six, and the wallet went flying out the pocket at supersonic speed for some reason. Pure impulse had taken over. You know the feeling.

So, this nice little hog leg follows me home, and I wonder if I did OK. So, I get home, run some patches through the barrel, and they are spotless. Fired a couple dozen rounds with 22LR, and then a couple dozen 22WMR after swapping the cylinders. Nary a problem, and with 22LR, just as accurate and easy to handle as my other SAA styled shooter (45 Colt). Tickled to an extreme with this one.

The nifty wooden box has "Tennessee" on it, and well........the inner 12 year old boy is a happy camper for today.:mrgreen: Anybody else out there have one of these inexpensive little shooters?

http://myfiero.com/uploads/26420_.jpg

http://myfiero.com/uploads/26421_.jpg

2wheelDuke
05-21-2011, 09:05 PM
I saw them online when I was browsing around one day. I noticed that they listed a dealer less than a mile from my house, so I decided to drop by.

I wasn't terribly impressed, but it still seemed like it'd be fun. The only problem was the shop. They had them marked up at least 50% over the MSRP listed on Heritage's site.

I asked why, and he said that MSRP is just a suggestion. I have to need something or want it pretty bad to pay retail. I'd have to be desperate to pay over retail.

Bullshop
05-21-2011, 09:19 PM
One reason they are cheaper is the frame is an aluminum alloy.
I just did a rebuild on one for a customer. The cylinder locking parts are cheep weak stampings. I wouldn't get frisky with fanning or even fast cocking.

zardoz
05-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Yea, I figured this gun to be a limited lifetime piece.

Just wanted something for casual plinking 22's, without the hassle of cleaning the Mark 3. Fits the bill perfectly.

Oh, I would never dream of "fanning" any of my single actions either cartridge or cap&ball. I'll leave that to the Hollywood gunfighters. If I ever need to indulge in rapid fire, I'll have a solid reliable semi-auto for that task.

Bullshop
05-22-2011, 01:06 AM
I think the one I worked on saw some rough use. There is a tab cast into the hammer that times the cylinder locking latch, that was completely gone. The cylinder locking latch was so worn at its contact point with the hammer it would not disengage the cylinder. The trigger return spring was broken in two so even if you could get the cylinder to turn it would not cock.
This was done as a favor for a friend of my boys. I told him up front it was not worth fixing. I could see his heart sink so told him I would try. I made the parts from solid stock (no stampings) so it was likely better when it left here than when it left the factory.
I had to drill the hammer to set a pin where the casting had been. It was hard for only a couple thousandths and then dead soft.
Be kind and gentle to it and it should hold up. I dont think it will be a family heirloom though.

Bloodman14
05-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I bought my wife one; for casual plinking, it fits the bill.

rond
05-23-2011, 05:55 PM
I can't get past the safety on those. Ruger cost more but is a much better gun.

markinalpine
05-23-2011, 08:44 PM
I got one that came in the plain cardboard box for just under $150.
Murdered lots of steel cans with it! :bigsmyl2:
Mark :[smilie=s:

scrapcan
05-24-2011, 12:40 PM
My neighbor brought one over that had issues like Bullshop mentioned. He called the maker and they shipped him parts. They were easy to replace/fit and it has run well for sometime now. I suggested that he call and get some spare parts incase they become unavailable.

The ocmpany treated him very well.

mnkyracer
06-03-2011, 02:40 AM
This is what I carry as a trapline gun. I had to do some MAJOR filing on the front sight for plinking. 10 yds - 12" low. After that, did get a few whistle pigs with it.

izzyjoe
06-06-2011, 09:16 PM
i bought one years ago, and it is called a Rough Rider, but it's the same pistol. i've shot a many bricks of ammo though it, but not much of the magnum. it's killed a many tree rat, and a whole lot of other critters that needed puttin' down. the only problem that i've had with it is the hammer screw backs out a little ever time you cock it, but some clear finger nail polish on the screw fixed that. i've not shot a lot of ruger single sixes, but my boss has one, and it's nice but i'd rather have my ol' beater. i notice one thing about the ruger that i did'nt like, it does'nt have half cock and you have fumble around with it and line up the cylinder with the ejector. as where mine has half cock, and it lines up with ejector, and you can load, and unload it lightning fast! but his ruger is far more better than the ol' beater.:razz:

jrhoney
06-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Neat little revolver. I've seen a few here in town but didn't think much of them since I had a 22 rifle. Now I am without a 22 and these are looking pretty good to me. You mentioned it has a safety? Where and how does it function and is it really necessary?

superior
06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
I bought one from an FFL dealer friend of mine years ago. I had to send it back to the factory because I was experiencing a high number of misfires with it. It came back functioning, but it's accuracy never improved over a 6 inch group at 15 yards with the .22lr cylinder. I always treated it gently, but the cylinder hand broke eventually and locked up the action. Upon disassembly, I noticed that the lock-up mechanism consisted of mostly sintered metal parts.
I e-mailed the factory with some questions and they never got back to me. I hope you have a better ownership experience than me. My next rimfire convertible will be a Ruger NR9.
I guess sometimes when you buy cheap, you buy twice.

DLCTEX
07-03-2011, 02:12 AM
I traded some labor on a bathroom remodel for one a number of years ago. It was the gray metal one with the salt and pepper grips. The grips were uncomfortable for me, too sharp on the corner, so I sanded and whittled them to a more pleasing shape. It shoots well with either cylinder and has fired thousands of rounds without a hitch. +1 on not liking the safety. Mine shows a definite preference for Federal 22LR ammo and does not like Rem Thunderbolt at all.

docone31
07-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Years ago I had one. I had to replace the hammer spur as Bullshop related. I fanned it, and one time too many fans and no more cylinder go around.
I replaced it, got the pistol to fire.
The most fun I had with it was when I fired CB caps. You could actually see the ball lob to the target! I tried the magnum cylinder for the box I purchased, but never did magnums again either. I later traded it for a Ruger MKII with bull barrel.
I still remember that pistol fondly though.

Andy Griffith
07-11-2011, 04:47 PM
These are darn good little guns for the money- especially since Ruger seems to want a king's ransom for their pieces anymore. :cry:

I've got three of them I've acquired in some group purchases over the years, and one, a 9" convertible that I actually bought, which was the first one.

Each of them will shoot just a bit better than my Ruger Bisley 6" .22, but single sixes aren't known for pinpoint accuracy...hopefully a culled Marlin 60 barrel contoured down and fit will fix it. ;)

I did have some parts missing from one of them, and I called Heritage and they sent the parts right out and I had it shooting again. Some people shouldn't home gunsmith anything! :veryconfu

They shoot good and are affordable- what else can a man ask for? :)

DLCTEX
07-11-2011, 08:33 PM
JRHONEY: The safety is a plastic lever on the left side of the hammer. When it is forward it is "on safe" and when pulled back the hammer can hit the firing pin. I haven't checked to see if it would function if removed.

Rangefinder
07-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I ended up inheriting one of these little buggers a few years ago. I really didn't hold out much hope that it would be of any real "shootable" value. My first impression was that it was pretty similar to the ones I had as a kid--you know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that fired belted ammo in the form of a long, red roll ;).

THEN I took it out cutting firewood one day. I'll be darned it it wasn't a tight-shooting little bugger that actually felt really comfortable all the way around. I was pleasantly surprised!

One thing I did to it involved the little button on the side to remove the cylinder pin. There was nothing locking it and it appeared there should have been. 30 seconds later and a section of the spring from a click-pen and the thing only releases the cylinder pin when I want it to--which it previously did at random when I used the .22WMR cylinder.

Fredx10sen
07-18-2011, 03:13 PM
All the ones I have are great Little guns. That's one of the guns that my Grandson shoots in SASS. One of them has had 1000's of rounds shot through it without any problems. One of the ones I picked up from a friend was dry-fired a Lot and dinged up the cylinder which made it very hard to eject the empties. After cleaning up the cylinders and making a new firing pin, it works great. My grandson likes them better than the Bearcat that he also uses in SASS. Great Lil Guns for the money.

Bret4207
07-18-2011, 06:15 PM
I've never shot one myself, but I know a coupe guys that like theirs a lot. One of the guy's actually got rid of his Ruger SS after he got the Rough Rider. That's saying something.

Phat Man Mike
07-18-2011, 10:20 PM
we have one and the G/F love plinking with it! good gun for the price. you just have to treat it like any other weapon. and the folks at the home office are super nice :)

Four Fingers of Death
09-23-2011, 05:37 AM
They are pretty cheap here as well and a few guys at the range are going to get one. I think they probably be allright if treated with care and not too much hi velocity ammo.