PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Lee mold

Floydster
05-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi all,
I have a Lee 452 230gr. TLRN mold which I am using now, and am satisfied with it, however I want to save on casting alloy and was thinking of getting the Lee 452 200gr. RF.
Do any of you fine gentlemen have this mold and what are your thoughts?
Thanks,Floyd

RobS
05-21-2011, 11:40 AM
I've used it for the 45 auto and it shot well. I had better accuracy when I water quenched my WW alloyed boolits for whatever reason where as all other designs were just fine air cooled. The meplat is large enough to dance on so if you are a meplat person you'll like it. The rather wide nose may give you feeding/cycling issues so adding to your post to what you plan on shooting them from may help others give you input in regards.

Floydster
05-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks RobS,
I plan on shooting these out of a Witness Elite Match, 45 ACP,I will be using this bullet for target and steelplate challenge which we are starting at our range.
I am also using 200 gr. SWC from MBC but am having feeding problems with this bullet and can't seem to get a handle on the problem.
I also use MBC 200gr. RNFP with no feeding probs. and the Lee 200 Rf seems to be close to this bullet, altho the meplat is larger.
Thoughts?
Thanks, Floyd

RobS
05-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Floyd:
I say get a few samples 20 or so from some of our members here so you know if they will work or not. If they do then you can get yourself the mold, if not then you are not sitting with a mold. I've often done this for people and just had them pay shipping, possibly did a trade or even just sent them some at no expense. If I still had the mold I'm sure we would work something out and have some heading your direction.

You can ask in the boolit exchange
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

or even ask here on this thread.

Floydster
05-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks Rob, I will wait for further input from other members. maybe someone uses the Witness Match and the Lee 200gr.RF.
Thanks again,Floyd

wallenba
05-21-2011, 07:25 PM
I use it in my S&W 625 because it has a crimp groove. The ogive allows a full moon clip to slide right in, and the flat nose punches a clean hole. I use it in my Ruger New model Vaquero's too, as they have shorter cylinders than the BH. Does well in both.

357shooter
05-21-2011, 07:40 PM
You could try some from: http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/45_ACP.html

MikeS
05-21-2011, 08:21 PM
You could also try the Lee 200gr SWC which is a copy of the H&G #68 a design specifically designed for target shooting, and feeding from standard gov issue 1911's, so if it'll feed in those, it should feed in anything. That same boolit design is available from most mould makers as well if you didn't want to stick with just Lee moulds.

Atakawow
05-21-2011, 08:57 PM
The Lee 452 200gr RF does not work well in my 1911's. The bullets had to be sat pretty deep just to get brass to sit flushed with the barrel hood. Last I checked, my OAL was 1.130, a bit deep for my liking.

shoez
05-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Consider the Lee 200 gr. TLSWC. I got it for the same reasons you stated, saving some alloy. Is now my favorite in the .45. Feeds perfect in my Rock Island 1911 and Sig P220. Very accurate.

Floydster
05-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys for all the input, very much appreciated---still trying to decide:)
Floyd

prickett
05-22-2011, 09:33 PM
You could also try the Lee 200gr SWC which is a copy of the H&G #68 a design specifically designed for target shooting, and feeding from standard gov issue 1911's, so if it'll feed in those, it should feed in anything. That same boolit design is available from most mould makers as well if you didn't want to stick with just Lee moulds.

You might not have success with the Witness and this SWC. My CZ97 won't shoot them (and I"m using Witness mags).