PDA

View Full Version : Strange critter sighting

KYCaster
05-20-2011, 10:50 PM
What's up with all the strange critter sightings lately?

Nuclear fallout from the Jap power plants??????? End of times?????????

I don't know, but this little fella showed up in my yard last week.

At first glance I thought, "fox". Then I did a double take. I've seen both red and gray foxes around here, but never anything with a color like this. Seems to be a bit unusual color for a coyote too.

It's a bit larger than the foxes I've seen, but much smaller than a coyote.

Some kind of hybrid???? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Jerry

Patman
05-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Some years back I harvested a fox that was a cross between a red fox and a silver fox. His body was bigger than all the reds that we harvested that year. My hunting partner offered me a prime bobcat pelt in trade. Given the price of bobcat pelts that year I was really tempted but decided to keep my crossfox. In the years since I have yet to see another one like it in the wild.

BD
05-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Looks like a red fox shedding his winter undercoat to me. We used to see the occasional cross fox in the tannery, maybe one in a hundred.
BD

troy_mclure
05-21-2011, 10:46 AM
gotten many foxes while coyote hunting. saw a few mixes and a few 1/2 colors(front half grey rear red etc...).

6.5 mike
05-22-2011, 03:08 PM
NOT one of my x mothers-in-law, looks to good.

watkibe
05-23-2011, 12:43 AM
BD #1 right !!!

beagle
05-24-2011, 08:53 PM
We have both reds and grays over here. I have a pair of grays that raises on the place every year and a red that wanders through the yard from time to time.

Heard a couple barking this morning early. I leave 'em alone as they don't bother anything.

Haven't seen and crosses though./beagle

Boz330
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
We have both reds and grays over here. I have a pair of grays that raises on the place every year and a red that wanders through the yard from time to time.

Heard a couple barking this morning early. I leave 'em alone as they don't bother anything.

Haven't seen and crosses though./beagle

I had a red who raised her young in my yard for several years. I figured it was because of all the coyotes around. Don't see many foxes anymore so I wouldn't harm them for the world. She actually stood up against my Rot one night she had her offspring out for a hunt. I pulled her back but that took some guts on the fox's part. Not sure what ever happened to her.

Bob

KYCaster
05-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Strange critter update..............

I've seen this one on three.....make that four......different occasions since I took that pic. The color is consistent, no matter what time of year, so it doesn't have anything to do with seasonal shedding.

You can see the black patch between the shoulders; it has a similar patch on the right rear leg.

Well, I saw it again Saturday out by my 100 yd. berm....along with three pups. They appear to be 3 to 4 weeks old, maybe a bit older, and look exactly like a red fox should.

No pic, I don't have a good camera right now....they wouldn't stay still long enough for a family portrait anyway.

Jerry

fouronesix
05-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Looks like a 'blotchy' red fox or a 'blotchy' cross phase red fox to me. Does not at all look like a coyote or coyote hybrid. Red foxes come in several color phases and color phase variations.

lefty o
05-28-2014, 11:07 PM
thats 100% red fox. just a little shaggy looking.

AlaskanGuy
05-28-2014, 11:57 PM
That is a fox..... Lol

9w1911
05-29-2014, 12:01 AM
thats a muddy fox haha

WILCO
05-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Looks like a red fox shedding his winter undercoat to me.

I would agree.

fastfire
05-29-2014, 06:39 PM
:-(Them and coyotes are hard on the pheasant population here

.45Cole
05-30-2014, 11:10 PM
I'll bet that it's a red fox that PETA Krylon'ed to keep it from being clubbed.

deep creek
05-31-2014, 10:06 PM
that be a red fox. ive trapped hundreds over the years ,they come in many flavors.i have a beautiful sliver cross at the taxidermists doing a full body mount on it.everybody that sees it wants to buy it its purty!!!