PDA

View Full Version : Large Rifle Primers

Bradley
05-20-2011, 11:13 AM
All of my shooting is with cast bullets. These days it is exclusively pistol rounds. But I've got a lot of large rifle primers and only a limited number of large pistol primers. Anyone ever load 44 Magnums with large rifle primers?

JesterGrin_1
05-20-2011, 11:27 AM
No the Large Pistol and Large Rifle are not the same size.

But you can do this with small pistol and small rifle primers.

Bradley
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=JesterGrin_1;1275706]No the Large Pistol and Large Rifle are not the same size.
QUOTE]

I'm aware of that. Also it is suppose to take a stronger blow to set off large rifle primers. BUT these differences are small. So has anyone loaded 44 Magnums with large rifle primers and if so how well did they work?

JesterGrin_1
05-20-2011, 11:55 AM
You can try them if you like but the Large Rifle Primer in a Pistol case will sit high or to say protrude from the case. Which is not a good thing.

myfriendis410
05-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Bad idea. The only way you will make 'em work would be to ream out the primer pocket deeper. The large rifle primer is quite a bit taller and you won't be able to seat them without crushing them.

My advice would be to trade them for what you want. What are they?

mdi
05-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Of course you can do it, but should you do it? The rifle primer has a harder cup and sits taller in the pocket and is a different composition of priming compound. Miss fires, hang fires, and pressure problems are common when you switch components around (thats why they make different sizes!). I've done it but I have a few decades of reloading experience and know what the possible dangers are. If you have to ask, don't do it!

Shooter6br
05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I use small rifle primers in smalI pistols. My bad?

Chicken Thief
05-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Generally the rifle primer are harder and contains more ignition powder/force.
So if all else is equal then pressure will be (way) higher!

Bwana
05-20-2011, 05:25 PM
The short answer is, yes. The longer answer is it is a bit of a pain in the rearend. I did it just to see what the results would be for future reference.
The easiest way is to use a Sinclair carbide rifle primer pocket uniformer. My SBHs had no problem igniting the primers; but, it was hit or miss with my 45ACPs.
I would second the suggestion of trading for pistol primers unless you can't. And the Sinclair tool is not inexpensive.
Load development remains the same; start low and work up.

44man
05-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Even if you fit them to brass, the LR primer has too much oomph and will just blow out boolits before good powder burn.
I won't even use a LP mag in small brass like the .44.
Standard LP is too strong for the ACP in a revolver. Accuracy improved across the board by going to SP brass, even in the 1911.

Jim
05-21-2011, 08:03 AM
THIS (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=6529.0) might help.