PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

milkman
05-20-2011, 06:30 AM
I didn't know where to post this so if it's in the wrong spot I apologize.

I just bought a shot maker at an estate sale. It came with no documentation what-so-ever. Does anyone have any info on how to operate it, cleaning and maintenance?? How do you keep nozzles from clogging? It does have a tray with it to catch the shot.

I sent an email with a picture to Littleton, asking if it was theirs but haven't gotten a reply.

Milkman

As part of the deal I got several Texan shotgun presses that I don't need. I know nothing about them but they seem to be pretty complete except the priming cup is gone from several. They would be good for parts at least. If anyone need one send me a PM. I'm talking freeby here.

BABore
05-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Ask and look around down in the shotgun forum. More likely to get an answer.

alfloyd
05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
I have a copy of the Littleton shot maker. It is a pdf file so I will need to send it to you in a email. ( too big to upload into my photo section.) I would be interested in your shot shell loaders. What models do you have?

Lafaun

myfriendis410
05-20-2011, 01:42 PM
It does look like a Littleton, not the Stewart. To clean the dripper, you need a pin vise and a set of wire drills. An air compressor and a propane torch are a good idea too. You must remove the drippers from the pan, heat up each one and blow out through the drip hole (backwards). Allow to cool then drill out with, I believe, an .022" drill bit. That is really dependent on the shot size of the dripper, but at least puts you in the ballpark.

My advice to you is to NOT try to use it until you have thoroughly read the instructions. The machine works, and works well, but you have to pay close attention to it while it's going. Do NOT use brake fluid. Use pure coolant, preferably the non-toxic kind. Chalk the apron with school chalk instead of soapstone.

I have one and it's had several tons of range lead run through it over the last few years. It's certainly more economical to make your own shot if you have a supply of lead.

Vinne
05-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Myfriendis is right up until the part of drilling them out. Stop there and let them cool then put them back in. I find that works almost all of the time. I also tap them (large hole side down) onto a 2x4 after heating. Also if one gets dirty on the run, I take a thick piece of wire about the size of the feed hole and bend the end about 1 inch then place it into the back side of the nozzle and work it around a little. That will clear out the junk to get it back dripping. Be careful, the wire will transfer the heat and burn your hands if you take too long!!!

As far as using it to make shot, it will take too long a post to help you. I got mine used 25 years ago and just started it and it took a few times to start making good shot. My first made #8 shot and now I am making 7 1/2 but it dosen't matter what size you make as long as you start with clean wheel weights by removing the clips and trash and keeping the ramp dusted with a thick coating of soapstone or chalk. If you run into a hitch, post and we will try to help...good luck!!

milkman
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the info.

I got a reply from Allen Burgess at Littleton. He confirmed the unit was a Littleton and was nice enought to send me the current instructions.

Now I'm undecided if I want to keep it. I really don't shoot that much shot.

Terrel