PDA

View Full Version : Ever experiment with cast bullets.. I mean really experiment..

gew98
05-19-2011, 09:56 PM
I just say this as 20 years ago I got playing with 45/70 405 & 500 grain cast bullets. Well it was'nt exactly smart...but something said try it. I took ball bearings , got them hot and dropped them in the mold then cast my bullet(s). I figured I just made the ultimate 45 cal AP round !. They seemed to impact good . I got sparks on impact... and I thought seemingly better dents in the plates. What finally cured me of that boneheaded move was - well let me backtrack a bit here... I used to work in a salvage yard and with numerous cars and steel I had a target rich environment... and I utilized it every chance I got. Ok so there I was on the hood of this old junk car hammering various targets and I shot a steel plate with one of those hot loaded monsters out of the marlin 95......and pop... both front door window glass went off like a bomb and the trunk of an old buick a little further on got holed...by a ball bearing. Yep , yessir that cured me of that right then. Never told a soul about that franken bullet experiment..I feared they would be tempted to try it and catch the golden BB.

geargnasher
05-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Don't tell the BATFE about it.

Gear

stubshaft
05-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I have "heard" that tungsten nails cut off and cast as a core for 357 caliber boolits make a great penetrator round.

a.squibload
05-20-2011, 02:21 AM
..I feared they would be tempted to try it and catch the golden BB.

All you need is a face shield and a baseball glove!:kidding:

Hardcast416taylor
05-20-2011, 08:29 PM
And to think I thought my neighbor on the next farm was dangerous shooting ball bearings in his 12 gauge!Robert

frankenfab
05-20-2011, 10:24 PM
I have "heard" that tungsten nails cut off and cast as a core for 357 caliber boolits make a great penetrator round.

What are tungsten nails, and where do you get them?

Jim
05-21-2011, 07:50 AM
What are tungsten nails, and where do you get them?

They can't be too hard to find. I Googled "Tungsten nails" and got 1,620,000 results.

alamogunr
05-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I think 2 of those results were for horse shoe nails and the rest were fishing sinkers. Not sure why they call them "nails". I'm not a fisherman.

John
W.TN

Von Gruff
05-21-2011, 06:29 PM
You could always use the nail ( or the tip part of on) fron the concrete nail guns. They will shoot into steel so there should be nothing much they wouldn't penetrate if centered in a cast boolit mould and cast into a boolit.

Von Gruff.

Spartacus
05-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Man you guys are a bad influence on me.

My momma warned me about men like you...

94Doug
05-21-2011, 10:16 PM
I thought Tungsten Nails were a Hair Band from the 80's.

Doug

a.squibload
05-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Like, oh wow man, I saw them live with Twisted Whiskers!:roll:

crazy mark
05-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I've put some 30 cal cast boolits thru old car rear ends, brake rotors, and cast iron engine blocks. They were running about 2100-2200 FPS 150-180 Gr SP's that had about 4% tin added and water dropped. Alum motors didn't really slow them down too much. Never could get one to penetrate 3/8" plate steel though. Maybe it was the angle I was shooting at it, as I was making sure not to get any ricochets. The 35893 and 429303 do penetrate metal pretty good but not as good as the 30 cal stuff. I can't push them fast enough. Mark

August
05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
It has always been my suspicion that many who haunt these boards are former juvenile delinquents.

My suspicions have now been confirmed.

I knew there was a reason I liked this place.

gew98
05-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Like, oh wow man, I saw them live with Twisted Whiskers!:roll:

Never heard of either..but if they were a metal band as that's why. I got hit with a pipe early in life and went right to punk... cyanimid , scronflakes , will to live , Dead kennedy's , Big Black , LEWD , Flipper , Anti Nowhere League , sex pistols , minor threat , Black flag , FEAR , DOA , ' X' , Pixies , Concrete blonde , Bad Brains , Social distortion... and a host of other's I have fogotten the names of. Made for some great times in City gardens in Trenton NJ , South st. in Philthydelphia , and CBGB's in NYC. Had a great time , some crazier girls , and made for better fun shooting at the sandpit in lakewood NJ before that got closed off.
MM mmm mmm...some whacky days I would'nt give nothing for !.

a.squibload
05-25-2011, 04:31 AM
Gotta confess, the wife saw something on my shirt before we went in to a restaurant,
said it looked like a twisted whisker,
I asked her if that was a geriatric rock band, took her a minute to recover.
It's a gift, I guess...

Chicken Thief
05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
This thread gave me a brainfart!

Dragged out my nailgun and cleaned it.
Here's a pic and some close up's of the nails.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Nailgun/R0010441.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Nailgun/R0010442.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Nailgun/R0010447.jpg
Here compared to a Lee 405gr HB

It will shoot a 2" nail clean through a ½" piece of aluminium

The small nails has the following data:

Small:
Weight = 21gr
Diameter = Head .308" Shank .148"
Length = .595"

Large:
Weight = 28gr
Diameter = Head .308" Shank .158"
Length = .675"

Nice inlay for a 158gr 357Mag ;-)

EMC45
05-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Never heard of either..but if they were a metal band as that's why. I got hit with a pipe early in life and went right to punk... cyanimid , scronflakes , will to live , Dead kennedy's , Big Black , LEWD , Flipper , Anti Nowhere League , sex pistols , minor threat , Black flag , FEAR , DOA , ' X' , Pixies , Concrete blonde , Bad Brains , Social distortion... and a host of other's I have fogotten the names of. Made for some great times in City gardens in Trenton NJ , South st. in Philthydelphia , and CBGB's in NYC. Had a great time , some crazier girls , and made for better fun shooting at the sandpit in lakewood NJ before that got closed off.
MM mmm mmm...some whacky days I would'nt give nothing for !.

I know exactly where you're coming from.....Agnostic Front, Warzone, Madball, the Business, Anti Heros, Etc. Etc. Etc......South St. Philly Zipperheads, Coney Island High Club The Village Etc. Etc.....

pdawg_shooter
05-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Friend of mine turned down some 3/8 grade 8 bolts to .300, turned a point on them and cut them to length. Two wraps of 16# paper loaded in a P-17 shot through the thick part of a railroad iron.