PDA

View Full Version : Success with Lee .500 Improved Mini Ball

Gray Fox
05-19-2011, 12:28 PM
My brother and I both shoot TC .54 side locks, but last year he got a Traditions break action .50 with 3-9 scope. It has a 1:28 twist and he has had success with sabots using .252 250 and 300 grain RNFP boolits I've cast. He recently tried some .50 Great Plains bullets and wanted me to try to duplicate it with something.

Having read here about varying succes with the Lee .50 Improve mini ball I thought I'd give that a try. The mold arrived last week and after break in was dropping some nice boolits. Two days later we got to the range and he tried both 85 and 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. The boolits were hand lubed with Wonder Lube 1000, but I'm going to work up a beeswax and olive oil lube so we can pan lube some. The latter load was shooting clover leafs from a rest at 25 meters, and he consistently nailed a football sized rock on the backstop at about 90 meters. Recoil was moderate and he was satisfied that he'd found a very economical wild hog load.

Another instance of being able to go from lead pot to the range and achieving success because of the breadth of knowledge I've found on this site.

Thanks, guys--GF

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-20-2011, 11:32 AM
i was using the 50 cal great plains bullets for hunting i have used the 410 gr flat point and the 395 gr hollow points i stopped being able to find them at any reasonable price and started using lee reals i cast with a freinds mold , but i really liked the 410gr fp over 90 gr 777 , i took a few deer with them and they work very well

looks like the lee improved mini is 360 gr