PDA

View Full Version : Ruger and Ranchdog 44 boolit.

Newtire
12-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Did some shooting with the RanchDog 44 group buy boolit and got about the same results whether boolit was hollowpointed or not. Used 21.5 gr. Win. 296 and got real reliable functioning and 1-3/4 to 2" groups @ 50 yds. all day. OK for the range and purpose of that gun. Also loaded some RanchDogs (these are 277 gr. out of my mold) with 14 gr. HS-7 and got functioning and lower on target. Looked to be high pressure judging from primer flatness. Anyway, good plinking with less recoil than Win 296.
Here's a pic of my 2-plinker carbines.

Ranch Dog
12-25-2006, 10:18 AM
That is pretty cool. I always like the looks of those Rugers and if I every see one for sale, I guess I will have to have one!

Dr. A
12-26-2006, 11:33 AM
I've got one of those things, and it takes a back seat to everything else because of Ruger's recommendation for not using cast boolets with them. Do you clean the gas port more or is there something else I'm missing?

Newtire
12-26-2006, 03:49 PM
I've got one of those things, and it takes a back seat to everything else because of Ruger's recommendation for not using cast boolets with them. Do you clean the gas port more or is there something else I'm missing?
Hi Dr. A.
I got out the illustrated diagram, a few tools & together with the downloaded guide on Ruger's site one day I set to work. It really wasn't nothing much to remove the gas jet assembly that hangs off the bottom of the barrel. I removed a little lead buildup & went back together with it. I had fired over 200 rounds in it before I took it apart to check it. Now, I have about another 200 through it & (now that you reminded me), will take it apart & have a look before I go shooting again.
Maybe some people have some problems with it but I don't so will continue to shoot my cast boolits thru it. I more or less think that Ruger is wise to say not to shoot the lead thru the gun as if it plugs up after 1000 shots or so and fails to function, they will have warranty issues. Like I said though, I see no difference between this and the normal accumulation that occurs in the M1 carbine. Just takes a few tools to clean the Ruger but only a nut wrench for the M1.
I love that little carbine !

44man
12-26-2006, 06:49 PM
The bad thing about the Ruger is the magazine. The best boolits will not fit. Ruger doesn't like cast or handloads in any of their guns, Legal crap! I have single loaded large boolits with great results though. Cut the 296 load to 20.5 and see what happens. 21.5 is great in my revolvers but 20.5 is best in the Marlin. I don't know how it will work in the Ruger.

Little Joe
12-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Now I going to say !! I really like those Ranch Dog bullets.I don't have my own mold yet but I have a bunch of those wonderful Ranch Dog bullets that I got from a friend.Great shooters from my 444 Encore

Out of here,
Little Joe

Newtire
12-27-2006, 08:48 PM
The bad thing about the Ruger is the magazine. The best boolits will not fit. Ruger doesn't like cast or handloads in any of their guns, Legal crap! I have single loaded large boolits with great results though. Cut the 296 load to 20.5 and see what happens. 21.5 is great in my revolvers but 20.5 is best in the Marlin. I don't know how it will work in the Ruger.

44 Man, you are right on it with the 20.5 gr. load. Consistently more accurate.
I load mine at 1.610" all day in both magazines and never ever a hangup. The magazine does limit you in OAL though so you can't load em out to touch the lands. It's a pretty limited gun in it's load preferences. I haven't found any boolit it won't feed short of a full blown wadcutter. The big 300 gr. Lee and the RDog are my faves. The 429244 SWC loads get crimped over the first band or no feed-same as in my Marlin .444. Those things are tackdrivers in the .444. Not anything to win any matches in the Ruger but neither is anything else for that matter. Shoots cast as good as/better than jacketted 240 grainers that I've tried.