PDA

View Full Version : boolit and powder identification?

ASCTLC
05-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Does anyone recognize these components well enough to help identify them? I reload but have so far stuck to jacketed and plated because I'm not ready to go through the whole engineering effort to mitigate leading. Having said that though, I bought some bulk .357 mag 158 gr SWC reloads from Cabela's quite a while ago and it does very well in my revolver and my Puma lever action. It's accurate, cycles great in my lever action as fast as I can cycle it, and no noticable leading after 75 rounds. What more could I ask for - other than that recipe [smilie=s:

I typically load 158 gr plated round nose using Universal, 158 gr jacketed with W296, and 180 gr wfn hard cast with lil gun. I do alright but cutting cost further would sure be nice.

Here's my pulled boolit that I find closest to match Missouri Bullet Company. I see no noticable difference with Missouri's offering but realize there may be more than just a visual to check and further identify.
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/ASCTLC/158gcast-1.jpg

And here's the powder. It's 12.3 gr. worth and resembles my W296 but I don't see W296 loading that light of grain. 14.5 gr is what I get from my current Lee Loading manual for a lead boolit. Since I don't have a large variety of powders I use, does anyone out there recognize this powder in the 12.3 grain area loading for a 158 gr LSWC? I'd be all over obtaining that powder to duplicate this load as it seems perfect.
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/ASCTLC/powder002-1.jpg

I'd be greatful for your responses!

Andy

shooter93
05-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the board. Noone can determine powder type by looking at it. Bullets are a a different matter. I couldn't say who made yours but it is a very common type.

ASCTLC
05-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks Shooter93. Worth a shot (no pun intended) to see if someone might know of a powder near that description for me to go check. I should have prefaced my quest with the statement that I wasn't going to go just load up 12.3 gr of whatever soemone said it looked like but use that as a starting point for me to go check if that powder recognition fits the Loading Manual's range for powder weight for the 158 gr LSWC.

If there are a few powders that look like that in the picture, I'd be able to use my loading manual and see if it's listed. Right now, I see all the powders but no idea which are flake and which are spherical by name.

Finding a way to duplicate an already perfect recipe would have been nice.

Andy

357 Voodoo
05-18-2011, 08:38 PM
the boolit came from a magma mold. it looks just like some i have that came from matt dardas at dardas cast bullits i know he uses magma. if you would like some send me a pm and i'll drop a few in the mail

the powder could be any thing. but w296/h110 would be a good powder to use

fredj338
05-18-2011, 09:05 PM
COuld be new formula 2400 but it's almost impossible to tell a pwoder by it's appearance, escept for the Dot series from Alliant.

noylj
05-18-2011, 10:43 PM
You could ask Cabela's. It might even be a non-canister powder, though I doubt it.

mpmarty
05-18-2011, 10:55 PM
buy a few reloading manuals and follow the directions. Never try to id powder by looking at it.

MtGun44
05-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Agree, it looks like the Magma commercial std .357/.38 158 gr BB SWC with the typical
blue crayon lube.

As to the powder - not a chance in the world to get it right. Could be darn near anything,
surplus, cannister or "other". If you have a large quantity of the powder (enough to warrant
load development as if it were a surplus powder) you could develop your own estimated
loads for it.

Bill

303Guy
05-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Never try to id powder by looking at it.Once I had a selection of powders that I could identify by looking at it - same manufacturer, same color but different granule sizes - a selection of four. Now, it all looks the same so I keep to completely different powders that look different and that gives me precisely four! Flake, ball, fine extruded and course extruded. One powder I have looks like the powder in the photo but it's not.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-19-2011, 06:42 AM
Keep an eye out for lead. Wheel Weights, roof boots, whatever. As you read these responses and look at posts on this site, you will find that the allure of casting your own will start to grow. I never thought of casting my own until I found this site. What a great hobby. I believe you will enjoy this site and the people on it. I know I didn't answer your question, but the others covered it quite well. Welcome to Cast Boolits.

ASCTLC
05-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys! So many powders I've never seen. Tried the asking Cabela's route and they won't comment. I'll figure something out on though. Got a few manuals already but I can't afford that many powders to try ;) Guess I'll just have to experiement to find the right pressure to keep these from leading. All part of the fun, right?

My big problem is the lack of a rifle range at the house. Pistol I can handle but just not enough distance for rifle. Kinda puts a damper on development but I'll manage. Just a little slower...

Great to have a name to the mold. I can pursue one if I find my hands on some lead.

357 Voodoo, thanks for the offer! I've no problem buying a few thousand of these as I already know this molding works so well with my two guns that take this caliber.

Andy