PDA

View Full Version : Carbine loads.

Newtire
12-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Cast up some RCBS 32-98's and sized them to .309", slopped em up with LLA and loaded them into M1 carbine loads. Using 8.6 gr. BlueDot, the load barely functioned the action but shot nice little 5o yd. groups. I am going to sneak up on 9.5 grains (max in Hodgdon manual) until accuracy goes south and call it a done deal. That nice flat nose ought to be a real whack down load for varmints and such. I tried the Win 296 load of 14.something with that boolit and might get one on paper every now & then.
In order to keep the facts straight, going to post other gun results in separate post.

nighthunter
12-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Newtire ... I shoot 11.7 grains of WC820(new) with a 115 grain FNGC sized .309 from 2 different Ruger Blackhawks. One is scoped and will shoot into 3 inches at 100 yards. The second is open sights and will shoot the same group at 50 yards. Shot a doe this year with the scoped Ruger and she was dead at 15 yards. Picked the shot carefully at about 45 yards. Behind the shoulder in the soft spot. Penetration was complete with no recovered bullet.
Nighthunter

Newtire
12-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Newtire ... I shoot 11.7 grains of WC820(new) with a 115 grain FNGC sized .309 from 2 different Ruger Blackhawks. One is scoped and will shoot into 3 inches at 100 yards. The second is open sights and will shoot the same group at 50 yards. Nighthunter

Hi Nighthunter and Merry Christmas,
Owned one Ruger revolver & it was an accurate one too. Never shot it at 100 yds. but it would shure shoot at 50 yds. Will have another one day!

I shoot a 120 gr. Roundnose Lee, a pointed 311359, a 130 gr. Lee RN and now this little 32-98 slug all with good accuracy but my shooting is out of a finicky carbine that likes to jam when fed anything not roundnosed. I'm using H-4227, 2400, and BlueDot mainly because that's what I've got. I understand that wc820 is some great stuff.

Mohillbilly
12-28-2006, 02:58 AM
Newtire I wanted a cheap lower noise load for the .30 carbine and settled on a little Lee swc TL for .32(sized down to.310).It is also still in the line up but no longer a six hole mold.I used bluedot and made a load for my Automag III seems to me about 9.8, but backed it back down for the carbine. Of course the blackhawk would take about any thing I put in it....Be careful with this as the swc is lighter than most anything else and there is no load data.What I wanted to make is, a not so loud,and cheap(lead'npowder) load for pests and small game because I also shot paper with it...

georgeld
12-28-2006, 03:31 AM
I've loaded and shot mine since '73.
Nearly all of them jacketed with H110 or 4227 and either 12, or 12.5gr. Switch between the two without varrying.
Tried 13gr once and was too much. 12's just about right. As you know they do bark.

Had a can of Ms Moly spray sent a few yrs ago, cast a bunch of the RN's about 115gr and painted them with it. Seemed to be a fine plinker with about 4-5gr Red Dot.

Have a coffee can full of WC's some less than 100gr to load once I get more powder. Brass is ready now, mailed the order for coal yesterday so another ten days should have it started.

Never tried the WC's yet, but, should be a dandy in it as they are in other cal wheel guns.

Seems like I ordered a SWC in .32 for it, but, don't recall casting with it yet. Had all my brass loaded and hadn't shot many til the last couple months due to health and family problems.

Recently got about 800 more cases and have about that many fired and it's all ready to start loading now. Believe I'll load some test loads first. Should get that done, no excuse's are good enough for why I haven't. Just haven't is all.