PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go, hmmmmmmm..

Doby45
05-17-2011, 03:51 PM
You ever had those days when you are sitting here reading some posts and you think to yourself "Man THAT guy is just out right stupid?" You ALL know you do so don't try to deny it. Well, in that same token we all love the guys here and even the not so smart ones. It is akin to this being OUR family and we for the most part accept each others faults and look past them.. I say all that to say this, I have just had an eye opening experience while stalking the interwebz looking at other loading/casting/firearm related sites.

I have read "casting" stickies on other sites and was to the point of being speechless. It would almost be like playing a game of chess with a 3yr old and getting frustrated at the 3yr old. You just can not make this stuff up. I did find that this site was mentioned on a few occassions for people to come and get the straight dope of casting, so that was cool.

I also know that everyone has to start somewhere and in turn I could not be prouder of our new people for coming to this site, instead of some of the others I saw. That decision right there has helped steer that individual in a direction of fun and satisfaction in casting. That is all. :coffee:

05-17-2011, 05:52 PM
I used to drop in on another casting forum, just to see what they were talking about, but never became a member and quit going there, long ago. It was rather facinating to read that, quite often, there was much befuddlement involved in answering a basic casting question, and that the correct answer would be found at Cast Boolits.

gray wolf
05-17-2011, 06:57 PM
This is basically the only site I come to, good fine upright folks and eager to help.
But allow me to say this, There are two other sites that I have posted on while trying to be of help to people that were in desperate need of it. I did it cause I just thought it was the correct thing to do. Well to tell the truth I got a bad stomach ache every time I did it.
So no more for me, and here is why.
No matter what kind of help you try and give --- there is always a self appointed forum hero that seems to think they know everything about everything and have to have the last word.
Most times there beginning word, middle word, AND there last word is far from useful information. But everyone follows them like they were
some kind of pied pipe-per blowing a flute, when in fact they are blowing there own horn and can't get a note right.
If I had never loaded and cast one bullet in my life I would still question there information.
I can tell some have come to Cast bullets, I can tell by the way they type and the questions they ask, also how they ask them. Some still have that little bit of wise guy flavor.
I am happy to see most of the new guys are shocked at the comradeship that takes place on our forum. Lets face it--there is no other place like this place-- Ours is the best on the Planet.

Mumblypeg
05-17-2011, 07:33 PM
There are other sites??? Gosh...:confused: I need to get out more often.

southpaw
05-17-2011, 07:42 PM
This is the first forum that I ever joined. I joined a couple others but never ended up even posting on them. I rarely even go to them now. I find all the answers that I have questions for here.

Thanks for the GREAT site guys!!

Jerry Jr.

captaint
05-17-2011, 08:14 PM
When I decided to seriously take up casting bullets, I opened up the computer and googled "Bullet Casting". The first thing I saw was Cast Boolits. Boolits!!! Really?? Sounds like my kind of people. I was right. My wife can't believe how much time I spend here. If you can't learn a lot here and enjoy it, you're not paying attention. This sit is THE best. Period. enjoy Mike

runfiverun
05-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I have read "casting" stickies on other sites and was to the point of being speechless. It would almost be like playing a game of chess with a 3yr old and getting frustrated at the 3yr old. You just can not make this stuff up. I did find that this site was mentioned on a few occassions for people to come and get the straight dope of casting, so that was cool

brings to mind a "discussion" i had on another forum.
seems they had a problem in their 9mm with cast.
i asked the simple question about sizing to 357 or 358....hooboy i had a long running thread attempting to explain to the experts about bbl diameters and boolit fit.
finally ended up with me losing my temper and having the longest post i have ever made explaining about fit,throats, bbl dimensions, velocity/pressure,alloy hardness ,and lube.
i may have opened their eyes about how much they did/or didnt know about rifles,revolvers,and handguns.
i also may have contributed about 15 new members to this sight, and made a few new friends.
but i also learned to just post this sights web address.

Wayne Smith
05-17-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm a longtime member here, and will say we are a worthy successor to Shooters.com. I remember when, on the BPCR Shooters.com forum, a college guy was mentioned as coming to a couple of matches and being very interested but not able to compete because of money. That group completely outfitted him, including a competitive Sharps rifle, without him being a member or ever asking for anything but advice once he found out what was going on. Sure, we had some caustic souls there just as we do here. Once I got to know them I realized they were caustic because they really did know everything of which they spoke and got tired of having their knowledge questioned. I guess that would make me caustic at times, too. They are the ones that originally taught me to cast. I was a raw beginner then, and remember it now.

Like I said, a worthy successor.

HollowPoint
05-17-2011, 09:45 PM
"self appointed forum hero"

There is no internet forum in existence that doesn't have these types of individuals patrolling
their respective domains.

Since we humans are far better at seeing the faults in others than we are at seeing our own faults, on more than one occasion I've had to go back and re-read some of my own replies and posts to make sure I didn't come off sounding like too much of a prick.

I don't think I was able to catch them all so, if any of my replies or posts have come off sounding abrasive, arrogant or just flat out wrong, I hope you all will forgive me.

I did join this forum to learn more about bullet casting but, what I really enjoy the most are all the DIY ideas and inventions that alot of the guys here come up with.

I've come up with several of my own and when I first joined I loved showing them. I learned in rather short order that those "self appointed forum heros" that were mentioned above seem to take great pleasure out of crushing peoples dreams.

More than I love showing my new working inventions and prototypes, I hate having to deal with these "self appointed forum heros."

I rarely ever post any of my ideas anymore. I just love checking out the new "thinking-outside-the-box" stuff that alot of the other folks here come up with. (I cringe when I see their ideas get scrutinized by these ever-present "self appointed forum heros."

HollowPoint

exile
05-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Don't know what I would do without this place. Most forums are largely "look what I bought" or "here's what I read" (not that that is always a bad thing mind you), whereas this forum is:

"Look what I have learned through trial and error and many years of experience".

My hat goes off to you who keep this forum running.

exile

casterofboolits
05-17-2011, 10:49 PM
On some sites it's not just "things that make you go hmmmmm", but "Dang! are you trying to kill yourself?" Reloading with out a manual and taking load data from other posters at face value without checking it out.

As for casting, most are still stuck on "the harder, the better" and give no thought to fit at all and will ignore anything else.

At least, for the most part, we can have civil discussions on this site and help point a newbie in the right direction what ever thier problem is. Cast Boolits is a great site.

Southern Son
05-18-2011, 04:40 AM
I am a member of 3 other sites, 1 I have not been back to since some of the old hands tore a newb to peices for asking a question that they didn't like (he asked for a smokeless load for an old black powder cartridge). One I have not even posted on (I joined and then started reading some of the posts, only to find the site was populated by spoons). The last seemed like it might have some good information, but it had nothing compared to what we have here. This forum has everything the beginner could possibly need, and nearly everything that anyone could need. And this place is not just Casting. Some of the stuff that is happening in the Swagging Forum alone is just amazing, then there is the Gunsmithing and the Projects Forums.

onondaga
05-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Some people choose to be a "Contrere" like the Apache in the movie Little Big Man. They dress unusual, walk and live there lives backward. Being a Contrere was a punishment among the Apache. On internet forums you can easily notice a self appointed Contrere when they use capital letters and completely disagree with generally agreed upon ideas of the group. Those on internet boards doing this choose to do so for their own reasons. Unfortunately they influence newcomers.

Things like statements about tumble lube having no valid reason to exist, how uselessly hopeless a Lee 4-20 pot is unless you ignore the instructions, casting bullets at 800+ degrees ad nausium. People believing this stuff when they read it and follow it are hit in the pocket in dollars and cents trying to emulate the contrary. It is shameful. Sometimes I think it is intentional, but I just can't figure a reason other than random purposeful cruelty by predatory varmints.

Really odd stuff turns up. It seems now that using bullet lube on a sprue plate hinge screw is a fatal point of mockery. In reality, the stuff works if used as directed and if the casters that have caked their molds up and become furious would watch the Lee video, they would be shocked at seeing the correct method in video and not believe it. Video Link:

http://leeprecision.net/HelpVideos/MoldPrep/BMlubingsmoking.wmv

Gary

ibvolund
05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
I have just got on this forum a few weeks ago and for the most part am a lurker. I am a lurker because the information and talent of the people and the experience on this forumis miles above me.
I was taught the best way to learn is use your two ears twice as much as your one mouth. I have learned so much in such a short time and I thank-youall so much for it

Harter66
05-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Yep, I just tried to help a guy out on another forum. Aparantly "we"here swear by the FDC,I didn't read it that way,but I've been mistaken once or twice.

If not for this site and the people here I wouldn't be shooting my 32Rem at all nor would I be as successful as I've been w/my 06's or any of the rifles and would just be "living w/" a leaded 9mm ........i'd have saved saved a couple hundred dollars not buying moulds and pots and i'd have several sets of usless to me dies and never heard "you made bullets out of your door stops because ........why...again".

Every day I take something new away from here,and I've only put forth 1 idea or question that didn't get some sort of a useful answer/responce to,and even when I was misread having a terrible run and let my "head spin"there was someone to dust me off and get me back on track,ell' I barely have that at home.

3006guns
05-18-2011, 04:16 PM
This site has so many positive points it would take an hour to list them all, but the biggest is.......

A problem is presented and the poster asks for ideas/help. A flurry of replies offers suggestions and pointers. The poster is absent for a short time and returns with test results, usually positive. Results are discussed and a definate forward step is made.

That gentlemen, is a group working in harmony toward an end goal. Note the word "harmony". There are no "know it alls" here.......just experience.