PDA

View Full Version : Elk harvest with Lee Custom 375-260 FPGC

3584ELK
12-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I was part of the Group Buy for a 6 banger Lee mould that Buckshot honcho'ed last summer. I got the mould and spent some time working up a load, reaming out my Hornady dies so I could seat these big boys, etc. I finally ended up with a load for my .375 Winchester in Big Bore 94 guise. The load consisted of W-W cases, Rem 9 1/2M primers, 35.0gr of AA1680, and the Lee FPGC weighing 255gr sans gas check and lube.

After drawing a cow elk tag for the Late Rifle hunt in December for Colorado, I took my daughter for opening weekend and then I returned last Monday for the beginning of that huge snow storm we ended up with. On Tuesday, I started at 10,000 feet and worked my way down into the cedar ridges. I spotted two cow elk feeding together and snuck to within 150 yards wherein I bellied into the snow and laid the rifle over my daypack. I blew my cow call and got one to stop, drew a bead on her front shoulder, and at the shot she immediately fled downhill as though she was scared or heart shot. I followed up my shot, finding some hair that had been cut and began to follow her tracks. It was snowing so heavily that I couldn't see beyond 200 yards and I didn't see blood until she crossed a 4x4 trail. I could see where she stopped and looked back several times. I jumped her from underneath a pinon tree and she ran like a jackrabbit, making me believe she wasn't hit very hard. I followed her over the ridge, and spotted her bed with the outline of her shoulder with a 6" circle of blood under it. At this point she moved along the opposite ridge and I finished her with an offhand shot through the neck at 150 yards or so. In the photos, you can see where the finishing shot was taken from, marked with a tiny red dot, as I took the pic from where she dropped. Also, you can see the broken shoulder very evident, with the entrance hole labelled "1". Number 2 indicates the entrance hole for the finishing shot.

Upon skinning, we found the bullet from her neck, and it measures .473" at its greatest diameter, weighing in at 188.5gr. It retained 74% of its weight. Brinell hardness, measured on my LBT tool, came out at 11. The mix was wheelweights, water quenched. I sized the bullets to .378" in an RCBS lube/ sizer. As you can see, the gas check survived the trip, although it got beat up a bit.

I have one last quarter to butcher and I believe it holds the initial bullet. The first shot never penetrated the ribcage. It broke the near shoulder and travelled down the ribcage and lodged itself in the brisket. Very interesting bullet path, and I am anxious to find what remains of that bullet. I will update with my findings. Is the .375 Winchester an elk rifle? I think so, even though I am a bit disappointed that the bullet never penetrated the vitals.

As a side note, my daughter has been teasing me with "that little lever can't kill an elk, you need to take Greenie" (my .358 Norma Magnum). She shoots a .280 Remington and this sure has quieted her down. LOL.

Thanks for reading my essay, I hope it makes sense! :-D

obssd1958
12-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Congratulations!!
And thanks for the pictures AND the essay. There is something about hunting in the snow, on the ground, that awakens the primal predator...

Nrut
12-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Yes ...Congratulations for sure!.....I like you would have thought that your first shot would have penetrated to the vitals.....I would have also thought the second shot (neck shot) would have penetrated completely.......I have the same mold and am using it in my 38-55 Uberti Low Wall low vel. loads.....will have to try some AA1680 next spring....:)
Looked at your pictures again and see you have a box of 9.3 270gr. Speers....Take that lubed GB bullet and run it thru a .368 push thru BuckShot sizer and over 35grs. of H4895 and you mite be surprized....I have'nt done it with the GB mold yet but have with a RCBS .377/279gr. bullet and it is deadly accurate in a CZ550FS 9.3X62.....

Glen
12-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean about that unusual bullet path, I had a bullet do that on an antelope doe back in '92. Hit exactly where I wanted to (just behind the front leg, about 1/3 of the way up), and it hit the ribs, turned south and back, and exited at the base of the sternum, having never entered the ribcage. It didn't even bruise the ribcage!

Good job tracking her down and finishing things up.

3584ELK
12-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Nrut- thanks and you have a sharp eye. Those ARE 9.3mm Speers, along with some DWM Cone Points and Swift A frames. I have a short barreled 9.3x64 that kicks like a mule but carries a big wallop. I definitely want to try CB's in it!

Bass Ackward
12-24-2006, 08:34 AM
3584Elk,

Thanks for having the persistance in that snow to continue. Sadly, a lot of other might not have.

I hope that you do recover the first slug. It would be nice to see what happened. as you obviously hit bone.

Congratuations from me too!

Doughty
12-24-2006, 11:13 AM
3584ELK,

Congratulations. Good story. Do you know what your bullet velocity was? Also, do you have any idea of what the temperature was.

Ranch Dog
12-24-2006, 12:02 PM
3584ELK...

Good job and always glad to see a 375 Win at work!

piwo
12-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Congratulations on the hunt!

I hunted three days in northern New Mexico this week in the same storm that hit Denver a few days later. We hunted in 18-20 inches of snow (I have a few pics that look much like your's) but unfortunately did no good. We did see a few elk each day, but always in the timber moving, or at some great distance moving through meadows in the timber. ) Our only shooting opportunity came at the very end of the last day. After eliminating 150 yards distance by sneaking through the snow, we were still left shooting at between 347 and 415 yards, depending upon which cow you were targeting. Our post shooting wrap-up showed neither shooter was shooting at the yardage he thought, and dialed up. :( Neither my partner or I were using cast on this hunt, so I didn't think it warranted it's own thread.

Hunting in the snow is indeed wonderful, but as St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Bob Gibson once said about hitters who liked fastballs: " and I like ice cream too, just not a whole gallon an once".

Congratz again. This is a great accomplishment and one to be proud. I'm green with envy!:mrgreen:

3584ELK
12-24-2006, 09:22 PM
OldVic,

As for bullet velocity, I haven't chronographed the load at any range other than 10 feet off the muzzle, and I got 2180fps. I suppose one could extrapolate, but the other variable is that the 150 yard to target number is "good ole boy guesstimation" !

Thanks for your interest, I had fun.

Boz330
12-26-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't remember you saying whether the first shot on the shoulder was angled or not. I have seen bullets deflect on an elk shoulder when a quartering shot was taken. Thats why I have always said you can't have to much bullet for elk especially if you are going to take shoulder shots. If you can take out both shoulders it is a great shot but an elk on 3 legs is not at a tremendous disadvantage if the bullet doesn't get to the boiler room.
Congratulations on your kill you deffinately had to work for it.

Bob

3584ELK
12-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Boz,

I didn't state the angle before, and it wasn't much, maybe 5° downhill and 5° to my right, as the elk faced to my left. I agree with your assessment and am frankly surprised that the bullet had the energy to deflect and travel down the ribcage, breaking a rib right at the brisket on the left side, vs. penetrating the lungs. Due to some travel and a busy schedule, that aforementioned quarter will have to hang until the weekend before I can butcher it. When I do, I wll be very interested in recovering the slug.

3584ELK
01-12-2007, 06:57 PM
UPDATE-

We butchered the other quarter back on the 27th of December and never found the first bullet. I think it must have eixted, explaining the sark grey hair I found at the site of the first shot. This is a puzzle to me, why that bullet wouldn't penetrate straight (er) into the vitals.

What are your theories? I wouldn't even begin to know what the velocity of the bullet was at the animal, maybe 1200 fps?