PDA

View Full Version : New member Intro

Petrov
05-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi folks, new guy here. Been shooting pistols and rifles for over a decade, been reloading for over 5 years now. I mainly shoot .223 and 9mm. Reload rifle on a single stage RCBS press and 9mm on Dillon Square Deal B. Joined up here to learn about casting, considering getting into making boolits. I shoot once a week at an indoor range.

birdadly
05-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Seems to be a great site for exactly what you want to start doing! I'm in the same boat and have found it very exciting, from the simple fact that I didn't even realize that people did this in the first place, to reading all the details on the steps needed from beginning to end.

If you don't plan to start casting right away, make your way to the Group Buys section and find yourself a nice mould to buy there maybe. I don't plan to cast until the fall and have signed up for a beautiful Miha mould in 45acp.

Enjoy!

Petrov
05-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks! While I am here might as well start asking questions. I am a big VV powder fan.
I use n350 for my jacketed stuff, it simulates my speer +p gold dot self defense round. I know that N350 pretty much going to melt the lead in 9mm cast boolits. What about N320, any one here has experience with in in 9mm ?

gray wolf
05-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Not knowing to much about the hobby could make it difficult
to ask the correct start up questions. Questions about VV powder may be good ones to ask
But I think it may be a cart before the horse thing.
No offense, and welcome to the grate forum. 9's could be a little tricky to load for not impossible just a little tricky with lead bullets. But there will be plenty of help for you on that.
You may want to think a little less than +P Vel. to start out. How much you want to invest in casting and what is available to you for your budget.
To make things a little easier on the boy's here they may suggest a list of things for you to
look into and study a little. Then you can ask specific questions and have a better idea of why the answers make sense.
So strap yourself in and enjoy the ride. You will get many responses to your questions and wont be out in the cold. Speaking of cold--the weather here in Maine is horrible, rain, cold, and damp. Hows a guy posed to fire up a lead pot. That reminds me--lead pots-- you will need one, along with a few other goodies.

Gar
05-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Welcome aboard,
I've been shoot cast 9mm since the 70's. Mostly out of SMG's and Walters. Not hard to cast.
Use the search function to find loads of great information and general backround.
Might answer most your question before you even knew you had question.

RobS
05-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Welcome aboard!!! Do some reading of the stickies here on the forum if you haven't done so already and then look into this sticky as it's a good one:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=110213