PDA

View Full Version : muffin pan question

perimedik
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Saw some mini muffin pans in teh doloar store.
They were non stick coated.
Is this OK? I checked the FAQ and couldn't fing anything on it.

Can I use these for ingots of mealted WW or is the telfon or similar going to eff up the alloy/lead?

If not what should I look for? aluminum? Steel?

Thanks

kbstenberg
05-16-2011, 12:33 PM
They probably won't work as they are. BUT! Use some courser steel wool on the inner surfases, put them out in the elements an let them rust. If they dont rust go over them again with SW an put them out to rust.
Yes steel or cast would be better, cast being the best. Visit the local Thrify store. an get them used. Much cheaper.
Just my 2 cents. The minie muffin are a waist if your intending them for lead. But i have one pad i use for ingotting tin in.
Kevin

WILCO
05-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Heavy steel pans work best.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-16-2011, 03:07 PM
If you can find a muffin pan made out of aluminum then choose that. Lead will not stick to aluminum and just turning the pan over; the ingots just fall out. If you fool around with tin plated, tin or steel pans you may get into sticking problems and thats not fun. A cast iron muffin pan is also a good choice. LLS

Doby45
05-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Go to the Goodwill store and get some steel muffin pans, which they ALWAYS have. Bring them home and toss them in the grill on high for about 10min and then pull them out and let them sit outside for a week. Done and cheap.

376Steyr
05-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Teflon degrades at molten lead temperatures, and supposedly puts out some toxic fumes as it does so. If you do use coated pans for ingot moulds, do it outside.

Echo
05-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Teflon degrades at molten lead temperatures, and supposedly puts out some toxic fumes as it does so. If you do use coated pans for ingot moulds, do it outside.

True, but it will be such a miniscule amount of toxic gas that it can be ignored.

I use a non-stick muffin pan, with no problem.

Digger
05-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Check out this thread ,,, scroll down to my pic's and response ..... muffin pans work great , as stated , teflon coated steel pans ,, took a small propane torch to them to burn off or treat the teflon and went right to it .
Works great, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=114136

digger

Casting Timmy
05-19-2011, 08:45 PM
I just use my mini muffin pans straight from walmart. I never really worried about teflon fumes.

Cowboy T
05-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Teflon-coated muffin pans are fine. You'll see a little "bubbling" on the bottom of the muffin ingot, but it doesn't affect the quality of the alloy one bit.

Someone mentioned doing the pouring outside due to toxic fumes. Personally, I'd recommend that in *any* case, teflon or no!

perimedik
07-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I bought some steel ones for a dollar.
scuffed the inside. the first few batches bubbled.
full "cup" makes a 2pound ingot
half makes close to a pound (eyeballing)
works well - pics to follow.
I'm gonna try another 6 qt pot and see what it yeilds.

Bomber
07-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Teflon-coated muffin pans are fine. You'll see a little "bubbling" on the bottom of the muffin ingot, but it doesn't affect the quality of the alloy one bit.

Someone mentioned doing the pouring outside due to toxic fumes. Personally, I'd recommend that in *any* case, teflon or no!

Yes, I agree with this. I tried using some Pam non stick spray as a mold release and it worked, but the Pam burns and adds some crude to the muffin.
Later I used the Dollar General store muffing tin w/o Pam and most of the lead fell out when I turned it over. Some needed coaxing with a mallet.
Only way to find out is to try it.
And I also highly recommend doing this outdoors.

D Crockett
07-12-2011, 04:46 PM
permedik you have a pm D Crockett

gwpercle
11-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I have for years used uncoated plain aluminum mini-muffin pans. No rust, ignots don't stick and I find the smaller size handier. I keep the pot full by adding 1 or 2 while casting instead of using most of the metal then stopping and putting big ignots in then waiting for everything to reheat . This works well with bottom pour furnaces- keeping the pot at a consistent level seems to make the boolits have a more cosistent weight and diameter.

gary