PDA

View Full Version : Warped and twisted

Mark Daiute
05-16-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't know, maybe this is not the correct place to post this but it involves boolits so here goes:

I enjoy casting boolits and prepping them for shooting. I have a friend that has stood by me, for years, through thick and thin. He has been generous with me to a fault and we share a lot of the same passions including collecting firearms and shooting. Whenever a mold up a batch of boolits and lube and size them I try to divvy them in 2 and give him half as a way of saying thanks.

Lately my new 311284 mold from the group buy has been receiving all my attention and I've cast a lot of them. Even Fred's half of the batch amounted to something like ten pounds or more.

Here's the warped and twisted part. I took Fred's batch to the post office today and got the smallest of those flat rate shipping boxes and crammed it absolutely full of 311284's. Like I said, it weighs something close to or over 10 pounds. For some reason I take great delight and shipping a brick of lead like that via the Post Office's flat rate. That simple act just made my day.

Mark

williamwaco
05-16-2011, 11:55 AM
he, he, he - you are truly warped.

I would know because I buy all my reclaimed bullet cores from EBAY. 68 pounds per box at $14 shipping = 21 cents per pound delivered literally to my front door. It cost twice that to mail a one ounce letter. It gives me a small satisfaction to get some return on all the taxes I have paid to support that organization over the years.

Doby45
05-16-2011, 12:04 PM
My hope is you packed it well enough to handle the abuse the angry postal workers will deliver upon that package. If not the person you are shipping them to might just get an empty box. :)

geargnasher
05-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Some postal workers will cry and whine like a UAW brat when you ask them to do their jobs. I had one tell me "I'm a disabled vet, I can't lift that." Ok, thanks for putting yourself in harms way for the rest of us, I really appreciate it and I'm sorry you got hurt, but the USPS regs state that to work for them you must be able to lift and carry 70 lbs. How did you get this job? And if you were hired with special provisions for your disability, then please go get someone who CAN lift this box to help you. If it fits, it ships, up to 70 lbs for one low flat rate, their rules and advertising, not mine. Nothing tee's me off quite like a Welsher.

Gear

runfiverun
05-16-2011, 05:40 PM
wanna hear them whine?
have 16 of those 70 lb boxes show up all at one time,,,,,, then 8 more two days later.
too bad we have a p.o. box......
i twould have probably wrecked the mail truck to deliver it all at once though.

Freightman
05-16-2011, 06:59 PM
I ship 70# boxes all the time and do not know the reaction on the other end, but all I have had on this end thank me and say see you next time. Might be the part of the country or whatever but all the USPS people (men and women) have been great. PS all my UPS people treat me the same recon I have been lucky or whatever.

kyswede
05-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I bought about 1200# of lead online last year, mostly on ebay. I paid on average $1/# shipped for range lead, pure soft lead, WW ingots and linotype. I figure the P.O. will get tired of shipping 65-70# boxes flat rate one day. I have enough lead in the garage to last the rest of my life and then some.
kyswede

Mark Daiute
05-16-2011, 08:57 PM
well, all I can see is that we both had a good laugh over it this morning, me AND the postal worker.

williamwaco
05-16-2011, 09:54 PM
My hope is you packed it well enough to handle the abuse the angry postal workers will deliver upon that package. If not the person you are shipping them to might just get an empty box. :)

HA! That is the good part. I am the recipient. All that heavy lead delivered to my front door. All I have to do is open the box and pop the ingots into the pot.