PDA

View Full Version : made a mistake

bubba 2
05-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I loaded 40 boolits 165 grain Ideal mold with lino lead these have hornady gas checks and believe it or not they were cast in the 80s. The problem is I have is that I was looking at the wrong chart and the load I put in these should send the boolits about 2650 fps. My question is will this be a dangerous load or will I just get away with some leading. The load is for a 762 x 54r and the hottest load was 47 gr of varget.

MtGun44
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
As long as they won't overpressure, meaning that the loading chart says that this load is
safe for the powder quantity in that case for that weight bullet, then you are technically
OK.

BUT - at that velocity you are very unlikely to get anything better than "minute of berm"
so what is the point of turning about $5-7 worth of powder and 40 primers into pointless
noise AND making a lot of work to scrub out the barrel???? Nothing to be learned from
shooting them, as far as I can see.

Pull them down and try 10-12 gr of Unique for a nice starting load that is light and probably
will be accurate. Then if you want to use Varget, find out what load will give you around
17-1800 fps and try that out, about 5 shots at a time. If you want another good load to start,
try 16 gr of 2400. These two loads have worked for MANY, MANY people for years and will
likely work for you. Work up to faster speeds slowly, like learning to walk before running.

Good luck.

Bill

stubert
05-15-2011, 02:41 PM
I checked a couple of books, and pressure should be ok. Leading might be an issue, I think you might be over the edge, of velocity with lead boolits. Try em, you can always clean the lead out.

bubba 2
05-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the answers back I havent invested in a boolit puller yet. I think that might be my next investment. So I'll just shoot these so I can reload.

HARRYMPOPE
05-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Shoot them and see what happens.If the bullets are .312 or bigger they might do OK and may not lead.If they do lead use a GC bullet slobbered with lube and 5g of Bullseye and 4 or 5 shots will clean it right out.

I agree with mtgun44's loads as there have been the best in 4 of my Mosins and a better place to start.

HMP

XWrench3
05-15-2011, 05:10 PM
personally, i would probably tear them down. it is highly unlikely that at max load, they will be accurate, and a barrel full of lead certainly will not help out accuracy. if you really feel like shooting some of them, take 5 and shoot them. you will know right away if it is something you want to continue with or not. if by some weird twist of fate, they work out, great!, if not, there will be only 35 to tear down. the one thing i would definitly not do is just burn them up for the sake of burning them up. if you tear them down, you can recycle all of the components. otherwise, it would be like throwing all of it down the toilet. i HATE WASTE!

bhn22
05-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Shoot 'em. If you try to pull the bullets, the gas checks might not come out with the bullet. Inertia bullet pullers often leave the check behind, for me at least. If the load is safe, you'll be okay. I'll leave it up to you to decide the safety issues. In the past, a friend and I have shot lino bullets at speeds up to a little over 2700 FPS with good accuracy. This was in a much larger caliber (375 H&H), and I almost got my old 338 up there too. The gas checks will help keep the bore clean, but you should check the bore occasionally to monitor any possible leading.

runfiverun
05-15-2011, 06:54 PM
if you shoot them slowly from a cold bbl.
i per 15-20 minutes, you may just learn something.
at least about your lube, watch for a grey poof smoke cloud in front of the bbl.
try a damp patch with some castor oil on it.
a dry patch after each shot.

Wayne Smith
05-16-2011, 08:32 AM
If you have a press and pair of channel lock pliers you have a bullet puller. You don't need to save these, you can re-cast them.

BBA
05-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Drill a hole in a 2x4 just small than the rim and use some rubber bands to hold the round in place. Whack on a hard surface. Re-use bullet and powder.

nwellons
05-16-2011, 09:07 AM
I have found my inertia bullet puller to be useful and inexpensive. Hard to beat that combination.

And I learned from posts here how to use it correctly, rather than as a hammer. Also to use your press shell holder with it rather than the parts that come with it.