PDA

View Full Version : Another way to be cheap

bhn22
05-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Like many here, I use Lava Soap to wash my hands after casting. But I often forget to buy it at the store, so I have a new solution. While ransacking the kitchen one day, I noticed some nylon pot scrubbers that weren't being used. Today, I went to wash my hands & had no Lava, so I squirted a little dish soap on one of the nylon scrubbers and went to work with cold water. It only took seconds, and my hands were completely clean. It even removed some paint from an earlier project. No more $3.50/bar soap for me.

montana_charlie
05-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Here's a brush that people have been using for a hundred years ...
http://www.amazon.com/FINGERNAIL-HAND-SCRUB-BRUSH-NYLON/dp/B003X2FUBG

DIRT Farmer
05-15-2011, 01:17 PM
After working on equipment, especialy deisel engines and having to get my hands clean enough to work in the hospital, I used automatic tranny fluid, then dish soap. It also workson black powder grime.

onondaga
05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
I have to be a Nay Sayer on the scrubbing pad, at least after handling lead. The pad can and does abrade the skin. You can rub lead right into your skin with a scrubbing pad. . I'd rather use a soft bristled hand brush with soap and take more time to gently get hands clean from lead.

Gary

OeldeWolf
05-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I am working as an auto mechanic now, and the best stuff I ever used was Fast Orange. It dissolves the oils and greases, does not strip the skin oils too badly, and has some grit in it to help. Works much better than Lava ever did.

MtGun44
05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Goop with the grit in it is much better than any soap, like the AT fluid, it is a solvent for
the grease and grime, but it, unlike the AT is water soluable, too. The Fast Orange is
a very similar concept, should work great,too. The various waterless hand cleaners include
oils like lanolin that keep the skin from getting dried and cracking if you do this a lot.

The only issue about the really abrasive scrubber is that if you wash very often you will
get raw from the abrasion.

I've switched to thin 'rubber' gloves for auto repair work now days, keeps my hand clean and they
really don't cost much at all in dexterity. Box of 100 blue synthetic gloves isn't bad at the home store.

Bill

tryNto
05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
I am working as an auto mechanic now, and the best stuff I ever used was Fast Orange. It dissolves the oils and greases, does not strip the skin oils too badly, and has some grit in it to help. Works much better than Lava ever did.

I agree, Been using Fast Orange for at least 15 years, Works Great...

jsizemore
05-15-2011, 02:24 PM
You mean the grit ain't abrasive to the skin?

casterofboolits
05-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I apply "Gloves in a Bottle" before doing any grimy work or handling lead. I buy it at the Kroger pharmacy.

It protects against solvents, grease, oils and your hands clean up with regular soap. Check out glovesinabottle.com.

troy_mclure
05-15-2011, 03:28 PM
i just use dawn dis soap, hot water, and a rag. itll clean anything.

Riverrat
05-15-2011, 03:44 PM
+1 on the Dawn dish soap!

Ed

Von Gruff
05-15-2011, 05:05 PM
A quick squirt of ED's Red, (mine without acetone) give them a rub then liquid soap and hot water for me. On the other hand I dont have to do this many times a day, just when doing some of the things that require a bit more than plain soap.

Von Gruff.

shaune509
05-16-2011, 01:20 PM
+1 on the Dawn for most oilly dirt but for the really stiky stuff like pine pitch I use vegtable shortening and then rinse in warm water and dry off with paper rag. As for the scruby opening the skin I cant see that it is any harder on the skin than a wash brush, now steel wool might be a different story.
shaune509

bhn22
05-16-2011, 10:26 PM
I can't imagine a nylon pot scrubber (not Scotchbrite) being more abrasive that a nail brush. If you guys want to wash greasy hands, use hair shampoo. It is also formulated to gently dissolve oil.

missionary5155
05-17-2011, 04:43 AM
God morning
+1 on Fast Orange. First time I came across it was at a tire store in Perrysville Indiana. I was a Goop user for years and became an instant convert.

EMC45
05-17-2011, 09:41 AM
I have used Goop, Gojo (with and without grit), Fast Orange, Simple Green with grit, etc. etc. I too have recently found that a stiff nail brush with Dawn will get everything off! That goes for gun oil/carbon, automotive grime, sink trap/pipe grime etc. The brush is a little stiff, but it beats out buying "special" soap all the time!

bbqncigars
05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
The blue plastic 'brush' that comes on some Gojo bottles is da bomb when used with Dawn.

Russel Nash
05-17-2011, 11:29 PM
this works too:

http://www.drugsupplystore.com/catalog/stivesapricotscrub.jpg

you can find the wally world stuff sold under the equate brand right next to it for a little cheaper.

you know apricots have pits, so the ground up pits are used as an abrasive in that stuff, works pretty good.

both tubes can be found by the women's make up and stuff. just a few aisles over from the deodorant and the shaving razors. it is sold as "apricot scrub".

Doby45
05-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Why Mr. Nash, I do declare you smell just peachy. :)

badbob454
05-18-2011, 12:32 AM
as an ex mechanic for 40 plus years,i recommend fast orange with pumice, ... it will, scrub you clean and will possibly scratch your skin ... not for wimps ... he he

3006guns
05-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Fast Orange, followed by one of the liquid handsoaps in the squirt containers.

I also discovered the scrubber technique but took it one step farther, using the green pot scrubber that looks like Scotchbrite. Really cleans your hands but I sure wouldn't want to shower with it!

gofasttodd
05-22-2011, 02:34 AM
i like to mix cheap powder dishwasher soap with dawn you get a nice abrasive action and does not take much dollar store stuff works jsut fine