PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 less than awesome

ohland
05-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Nothing earthshattering. Lee's second handloading manual does a far better and thorough job of looking at pressure vs strength of lead. Between Lyman and Lee, casting, lead properties, and heat treating are covered just as good, if not better.

BUT... it does have RCBS common mould loading data. Sure wish RCBS would update this manual.

:coffeecom

RayinNH
05-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I have that as well. I like it for comparison against the Lyman manuals, sometimes it lists a powder not listed in the Lyman manual. Another tool in the arsenal so to speak...Ray

buck1
05-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Its basic but it was great to get me started.

GRid.1569
05-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Its basic but it was great to get me started.

Me too... over here it was often the only resource available....

but it was this site that really kicked me off.. :wink:

05-15-2011, 03:50 PM
True, it's not as informative and comprehensive as Lyman's, but it is still a reference worth owning. There is something to be learned in all such guides.

Von Gruff
05-15-2011, 04:57 PM
It was what I got as well when I started looking for a bit more than the CASS casting I had been doing. Enough imformation ( along with a 1983 John Wooters G&A casting for the 7mm artical) to get started in a small enough format that it could be absorbed and understood. Basics without overcomplication.
To this day I dont have the Lyman manual, although with the information available on the http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm and in the stickies and the forums on this site it would be redundant.

Von Gruff.

dale2242
05-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Put it up for sale on S&S for $10 shipped. I`ll bet there are plenty out here in Cast Boolit land that could use the less than awsome info therein. I like to look at the info in all loading manuals in get the average starting loads and glean all possable info from each....dale

ohland
05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Put it up for sale on S&S for $10 shipped. I`ll bet there are plenty out here in Cast Boolit land that could use the less than awsome info therein.

Sorry, but the price of sin has risen.

Like the old Geritol commercial, "my wife, I think I'll keep her" kinda thing.

:veryconfu

swheeler
05-16-2011, 03:15 PM
It's been in my book shelf for 15 or so years. Dennis Marshalls article on oven heat treating is how I learned to do it. Just another tool to use in our hobby and I would say mo better than Laser Cast's book.

1Shirt
05-16-2011, 03:16 PM
It is just one of a number of manuals that you ought to have on hand for reference and comparison.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

376Steyr
05-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Years ago I went to a fair-sized gunshow in Boise. There was a table by the exit and boxes filled with these manuals, with a guy passing them out for free. Don't know what the story behind this was, as I don't recall any advertising on the table.

swheeler
05-16-2011, 04:40 PM
"Years ago I went to a fair-sized gunshow in Boise. There was a table by the exit and boxes filled with these manuals, with a guy passing them out for free. Don't know what the story behind this was, as I don't recall any advertising on the table."

Same way I got mine except at the Missoula Gun show.

MT Gianni
05-16-2011, 07:26 PM
I paid a genuine $3 for mine. Late to the party I guess.

Doc Highwall
05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
You have to remember that it was published in the late 70's when Lyman had the 45th reloading manual as their latest.

Back in those days LEE did not have a manual and Lyman only had data for their moulds so when RCBS started to make moulds this is the book that they came out with and it does have the B.C. of the bullets listed.

Now think of all the mould manufactures back then and today that do not have a manual for their bullet moulds. They are a lot of new bullet casters even today asking what load to us for say a SAECO mould and there is none. The RCBS book is useful for this along with others when the bullet caliber weight and shape are close to give us a starting point.

Others have brought up pressures, they are only guide lines as the pressures were measured in their guns with their components, and with the advancement in pressure reading the old manuals if they were re-shot today the pressures would be different and more accurate.

Defcon-One
10-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Mine was purchased new in 1987. It is a hard covered book and still looks new.

I love hard covers because they take some use and hold up well.

It is one of the two books that I always fall back on for info. My Lyman and this RCBS. Both great in there own way!

JeffinNZ
10-20-2012, 09:31 PM
I picked up recently for $15.00. Nice to have for comparison but not a patch on the Lyman book or the info that is contained HERE.

Newtire
04-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Found some great loads for M1 carbine there. Also a good reference for .32 addicts. Only paid a few bucks for mine a long time ago. Like someone mentioned, this site is probably the best thing going though.

MTtimberline
04-15-2013, 08:19 PM
It is very limited and lacking information compared to others, but you can never have too many references. I use mine to write notes on the RCBS moulds that I have. There is plenty of space to add load information for powders unlisted and for loads that have had good results. This is just a way for me to keep information on RCBS moulds organized and readily available. I think that the more information I write in it, the more value this manual has to me.

Bullwolf
04-16-2013, 09:12 PM
It is very limited and lacking information compared to others, but you can never have too many references. There is plenty of space to add load information for powders unlisted and for loads that have had good results. I think that the more information I write in it, the more value this manual has to me.

This was the first all cast boolit manual that I ever purchased as well.

It's not the best load manual out there, but it's another decent reference to check. It also has specific data for RCBS boolit moulds, and load data for some powders that other books don't always choose to include. It's another reference for me to check, and I love the size and foot print of the manual. (It fits on my load shelf nicely) Even though I refer to the data in newer Lyman cast manuals far more often, I have written so many of my loads in the RCBS manual that its like a small hardback notebook to me now.

I would really hate to loose or get rid of the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1. It's much easier for me to open the book and scan the pages, rather than trying to find a favorite load in my more "organized" notes.

- Bullwolf

quack1
04-17-2013, 07:54 AM
I use my copy along with my Lymans. Been a lot of years, but, if I remember correctly, I got mine for renewing my subscription to either Rifle or Handloader magazine.

Doc Highwall
04-17-2013, 08:10 AM
You have to remember when this manual came out there was no Lyman #3 out yet. Also silhouette shooting was just a few years old in the U.S. and in that time frame manufactures did not mention other manufactures products for the most part , and the RCBS manual was the first one to give ballistic coefficients. With more people shooting lead bullets because of silhouette shooting, and because Lyman’s #2 manual was no where what the #3 is, the RCBS manual was just as good as any other manual out there.

winelover
04-17-2013, 08:22 AM
I was partial to it since I used RCBS molds exclusively before I joined this forum and started to get in the Group-buys. I had the Lyman #3 Manual but the RCBS still had optional powder choices that Lyman lacked.

Winelover

blackthorn
04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I have 2 copies, aquired years ago. I was in a used book store in the greater Vancouver area a couple of weeks ago and they had a copy priced at $30, so the suggestion at $10 is likely a bit low. I use mine along with others I have aquired.