PDA

View Full Version : Questions about sizing & lubing boolits

Kermit2
05-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I purchased a Lyman 429421 mould. I've cast boolits for light to mid range .44 special loads using an alloy made up of 50% wheelweights and 50% pure lead. I've good luck with this alloy in the past. I also purchased a Lyman .430 sizing die. When I ran the boolits through the sizing die from appearances it didn't seem to size them much. I also noted that while the lube filled the lube groove of the boolits there was also some lube smeared on the sides of many of the boolits. Does this indicate a problem? Do I need a different alloy? Will the lube on the side of boolits cause any problems with my handloads? All information will be appreciated. Thank you!

uscra112
05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Sounds like your boolits are already smaller than .430.

GSaltzman
05-13-2011, 09:40 PM
My Lyman 429421 also drops undersized boolits. Having said that my RCBS 250K does the same just slightly larger than the Lyman. Read up on beagling a mold. How big do you actually need? Have you measured the cylinder throats on your revolver? This is the reason I ordered a 429421 from BRP. It drops boolits at 433. My throats on both a Ruger SBH and my Ruger Lipsey's 44 special both measure 431.

prs
05-13-2011, 10:55 PM
A Lyman mould of .429 nominal diameter "should", by sesign, drop a .429 boolet is cast in Lyman #2 alloy. Softer alloy tends to drop smaller and harder ones a bit larger. I think you are on right track "sizing" the boolet in a die larger than the pill, let the barrel size them. The excess lube will not be a problem in the individual rounds, although I would wipe them clean to avoud picking up abrasive dirt. The excess lube can gum-up your seating die and cause your OALs to vary, so disassemble and clean it every hundred or so rounds.

prs

captaint
05-14-2011, 04:10 AM
Well fellas, if I had a mold for 44spl or 44mag and I couldn't get it to drop boolits larger than .429, it would be goin back somebody. Seriously, your boolits should come out of the mold at LEAST 431. Sounds like your alloy is OK, so........Mike

stubshaft
05-14-2011, 06:03 AM
What does your boolit mic Kermit?

357shooter
05-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Can the mould be hotter, without frosting?

Getting early signs of frosting, or just beginning to show some blemishes, will cast the biggest bullet from the mould. Cool a bit with a fan or wet cloth to keep it from becoming too hot. A cooler or hotter mould casts smaller bullets.

To squeeze the final few .000X's, try sizing them 2 weeks after casting. This may help as long as the bullets are close in size.

gray wolf
05-14-2011, 08:37 AM
I do not believe that Lyman molds are as cast, but what the bullet can be sized to.
That's what Lyman always told me. Sounds like your mold is under-size.

btroj
05-14-2011, 09:41 AM
This is why there are so many group buys for this bullet style. Lyman 429421 moulds seem to be great at casting a .429 bullet. Sadly, many 44 revolvers do better with a .432 or larger bullet.
I would try beagling the mould. It made a huge difference in how well it shot in my SRH. More accuracy, more velocity, no leading.

Look to the sticky on beagleing, it is what you want to try.

Brad

casterofboolits
05-14-2011, 07:03 PM
I have four of Lyman's four cavity 429421 moulds and they all size to 430 with no problem. Of course, they're almost as old as I am!

prs
05-14-2011, 10:22 PM
I do not believe that Lyman molds are as cast, but what the bullet can be sized to.
That's what Lyman always told me. Sounds like your mold is under-size.

I was unaware of that. My only Lyman revolver mould, a two cavity 454190, drops them right at .454 in WW alloy.

prs

MtGun44
05-14-2011, 10:22 PM
I have a number of 429421s and they run around .430 or .431 as cast.

The actual dimension is irrelevant unless it shoots poorly or leads your gun. How does
it perform?

Do you have a micrometer that reads to .0001? Do you know your throat diameter
accurately? If not, just shoot some and see what you get. lube on the sides is not a
plus but see how the rounds work. I suggest 8 gr Unique, then move up to 10.0
Unique. Try about 20 gr 2400 if you want a full power load. Once you try these "known
good" loads with your "known good" boolit design (and it IS!), you can find out
where you are.

If they perform badly you can start fiddling with throat measurement, different sized molds,
etc., etc. If they work fine, you are done without a lot of fiddling. Don't overthink
this -- Mr. Target has all the answers that matter.

Bill

runfiverun
05-14-2011, 11:03 PM
the lube was smeared on some of the boolits indicates you had something different while casting them.
are they shiney?
frosted white?
rounded bands?

cbrick
05-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Kermit, Nope, don't need a new alloy. What you have should work very well in the 44 Spl. If they aren't filling out to your liking up to 2% tin could help.

MtGun got it right. How do they shoot?

A mild snug throat fit is ideal but the Spl is a low pressure cartridge and if they aren't way undersize and or leading they could well be good to go, got to shoot them to know.

Using a size die .001" over bullet diameter is fine, I do it all the time to aviod sizing down a bullet that I don't want smaller than as cast.

Lube on the side of the bullet could be an as cast bullet too small for the die. It could be an out of round as cast bullet, variation in mold temp is one thing that can do this.

Rick