PDA

View Full Version : Using a Hot-Plate- The Final Test

R.M.
05-13-2011, 05:19 PM
So set some background, I've been casting for on about 25 years. Always heated the mold on top of the pot. Always ran my pot hot, 800 degrees wasn't too hot for me. Got decent boolits most of the time. Did smear the tops of a few molds with lead, but for the most part, I was happy.
Then I start reading about using a hot-plate for heating the mold, and running the pot temp much lower. NAHH, that ain't gunna work.
Well, I'm here to tell you, it does. Still like to run around 700, plus or minus, but I get the mold hot enough to start with, that the first pour produces good boolits, and I cut the sprues by hand. Even took the wooden handle off of the Lee 6 bangers. Bullplate works. No smears.
Well today, I gave it the ultimate test. I have a Lyman 38 WC mold that I just could not get good boolits from. Tried for years, but finally gave up and bought a Lee 6 cav. of the same style. Cast up 104, with 4 rejects. All from the same pour, who knows, but now I am a full believer in a hot mold and cooler alloy.
Thanks to all who provided the tips here. :bigsmyl2:

captaint
05-13-2011, 07:22 PM
More than anything else, a hotplate just saves lots of otherwise wasted time. Like you said, you get good boolits right from the git-go. I will never be without one again. Mike

Catshooter
05-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Ain't it the truth.

I started casting in 1973. Learned more here since I joined than every thing before.

Cat

nanuk
05-13-2011, 08:33 PM
just dug out my old solid top hotplate a few days ago

I have some salvaged lead from an X-ray table.

need to pour some ML boolits

MikeS
05-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Ain't it the truth.

I started casting in 1973. Learned more here since I joined than every thing before.

Cat

I feel lucky. I started casting just a few months ago, but thanks to this board I have learned so much more than I could on my own!

But there's a down side to this too, When I started casting, I had 3 moulds, all two cavity Lee moulds, I had a 309-170-F for my 30-30, a 452-230-2R for my .45's, and a 456-220-1R for my Ruger Old Army, and I thought I had all my mould needs covered. Since joining this forum I've added about 12 more moulds, from Lee, Lyman, SAECO, and RCBS! With all these moulds, I'm even in on a couple of group buys here! Moulds are not the only things that have grown in number, I started out with a Lyman Big Dipper 10# pot, and a ladle, I just now added a Lee 20# bottom pour pot to the list of equipment. Where does it end? I keep seeing things I want to add to the stuff I already have!

Jailer
05-14-2011, 09:49 AM
I feel lucky. I started casting just a few months ago, but thanks to this board I have learned so much more than I could on my own!

But there's a down side to this too, When I started casting, I had 3 moulds, all two cavity Lee moulds, I had a 309-179-F for my 30-30, a 452-230-2R for my .45's, and a 456-220-1R for my Ruger Old Army, and I thought I had all my mould needs covered. Since joining this forum I've added about 12 more moulds, from Lee, Lyman, SAECO, and RCBS! With all these moulds, I'm even in on a couple of group buys here! Moulds are not the only things that have grown in number, I started out with a Lyman Big Dipper 10# pot, and a ladle, I just now added a Lee 20# bottom pour pot to the list of equipment. Where does it end? I keep seeing things I want to add to the stuff I already have!

Too funny MikeS, sounds just like my story. Now after pan lubing a couple thousand I'm ready for a Star.

It never ends.

1Shirt
05-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Yep, it does never end, cause there always seem to be more and more beginnings. It is kind of a rule of casting, that there always seems to be a new mold or new technique that just HAS to be tried!
1Shirt!:coffee:

cbrick
05-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Where does it end?

Where does it end?

Well, I've been casting 30 years or more and I see no end in sight . . .

When I had about 15 molds I thought I had my calibers pretty well covered, now I have over 70 and am always looking for the next one that I can't live without. When I moved up to the RCBS 22 pound pot I thought how great that was. Several years ago I got the Magma 40 pound pot and thought wow, now this is the way to go. Wasn't long though and it just had to have the PID control. Now I can't help but wonder how nice it would be to have the 90 pound pot, hhmmm . . . 90 pounds of all the same alloy, nice. Used the Star lubrisizer for years when that silly machine suddenly demanded that I get the air pressure system for it, then a second Star and second air system.

After awhile you start buying more guns because you have all these molds and nothing to shoot the bullets from.

And that's just those few things. I have increased the size of the loading room several times and am still cramped.

Where does it end? Silly question, when they are throwing the dirt in on top of course. :mrgreen:

Rick

cbrick
05-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Now after pan lubing a couple thousand I'm ready for a Star. It never ends.

A couple of thousand pan lubed, wow.

Yep, your ready for the Star. Just wait until you lube & size a couple of thousand as fast as you can drop them into the die, you'll never be the same again.

If you do get one do yourself a huge favor and get the air pressure system with it. It is downright shocking the difference in both ease and speed.

Rick

felix
05-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Rick, good buddy, maybe it's about time to start thinking about a hobby? I know, I know, some things revert into becoming a HABIT that prolly should be shaken up. Do we need more shrinks on our board? Perhaps. If there was one here locally with the same interests, you can bet he and I would become friends. ... felix

Jailer
05-14-2011, 10:21 PM
A couple of thousand pan lubed, wow.

Yep, your ready for the Star. Just wait until you lube & size a couple of thousand as fast as you can drop them into the die, you'll never be the same again.

If you do get one do yourself a huge favor and get the air pressure system with it. It is downright shocking the difference in both ease and speed.

Rick

Been trying to do things on the cheap, but I'm getting tired of cleaning excess lube off of the boolits after they are sized and loaded. This was made even worse when I got the lube level just a bit too high on the H&G 130 clone boolits that I lubed recently. That stuff it a PITA to clean off if the lube level gets over the front driving band.

I've had a hankerin for a lever gun lately just so I have something more that I can cast for and a good first deer hunting rifle I can hand down to my girl when she's ready. Like I said, it never ends..........

MtGun44
05-14-2011, 10:39 PM
As long as you are having fun. ;-) !

Bill

cbrick
05-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Been trying to do things on the cheap,

Yep, that's how it starts alright.

Rick

cbrick
05-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Rick, good buddy, maybe it's about time to start thinking about a hobby? I know, I know, some things revert into becoming a HABIT that prolly should be shaken up. Do we need more shrinks on our board? Perhaps. If there was one here locally with the same interests, you can bet he and I would become friends. ... felix

Where would I find the time for a hobby? :mrgreen:

Not all that bad though, kids are all grown up and live out of state and I live alone. For me the time I get to spend in my loading room and at the range is very relaxing and peaceful.

Hhmmm . . . are my molds now my kids? Does it matter that I tuck them in at night and read them a story?

Shrink? Did somebody mention a shrink? :veryconfu

Rick

HATCH
05-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Some pointers......

You need a Star if
(1) you plan to reload for the next 20 years
(2) you size more then 500 at a time
(3) Time is worth more then money

If you said YES to ANY of the above then you need to buy a star.
Yes the initial investment is high but its a long term investment.

I plan to reload for as long as I am breathing and hopefully atleast for the next 20 years or until some GOV official bans powder and primers.
When I size, Its normally 1000 rounds but I only size once a month.
My time is limited.

Now on mold temp -
Preheating the mold does reduce the amount of "bad" boolits that you initially get because the mold isn't up to temp.

I cast mostly with brass molds now. I can heat them up in 2 mins and be casting perfect boolits the second filling.

ColColt
05-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Not all that bad though, kids are all grown up and live out of state and I live alone. For me the time I get to spend in my loading room and at the range is very relaxing and peaceful.

Nice ain't it?:) Over a lifespan of 65 years, several wives, kids, step-kids, I've come to the conclusion I like animals better than most people. I think kids are for people who can't have dogs. My little buddy stays in the enclosed garage with me as I cast and do reloading-sometimes that's several hours and he never complains, whines or asks "Are we done yet?" Yep, living alone ain't too bad most of the time.