PDA

View Full Version : Perry Como - Magic Moments

WILCO
05-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Every time I hear this song, I think of Norman Rockwell and his paintings. The lyrics speak of simpler times. Good stuff, just thought I'd share it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ND3oghPL5M

10x
05-14-2011, 12:59 AM
I think of the weeks before Christmas in the early sixties.
Cold mornings, long dark evenings.
Ed Sulivan on Sunday evenings....

smoked turkey
05-14-2011, 09:31 AM
We had it good when we were younger didn't we? I wish our grandkids could know of some of those times. We need to take the opportunity to spend quality time with our kids and grandkids in order to leave some of that legacy with them.

sturf
05-14-2011, 09:43 AM
You can't go home again; but how I wish I could.

pls1911
05-14-2011, 10:08 AM
You guys make Saturday mornings tough...
Our extended family has made every attempt to pass our experiences forward, but with the influence of current culture only most of it has stuck. Kids are all out of college now and remain rabid outdoors people, as much as new jobs and marriages allow.

I prefer to unplug... the ranch at Throckmorton has no cell service or electricity, and water only if you haul it....delightful!

Bad Water Bill
05-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Here is some music from THE CARPENTERS to bring back some more memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCk-D2fOpg&feature=related

10x
05-14-2011, 11:41 AM
You can't go home again; but how I wish I could.

Hey , I've been trying to go home ever since I left in 1969.
Getting back there never matches the memories and there is simply too much in between that was missed.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Good comments here!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, as an Ol'Coot, see the educational system as being at fault for a much of stuff that is messing up the "family".

Yes, we as parents share in this blame, but the push to get kids into orginized sports at younger and younger ages, is pushing a huge wedge into the family.

Kids doing home work starting in the 1st and second grades when they should be outside riding the bike or climbing trees or whatever it is that kids used to do, and all the while our kids falling behind in what is truely, educationaly", important, the 3 "R"s.

Dance class, volley ball, basket ball, foot ball, soft/base ball and on and on and on. Things which have in reality, questionable value are robbing families of time.

I watch my son's family in Southern Califunnyia falling apart as they attempt to put activity after activity, school, sports, dance, drama etc. etc. into an extremely overloaded day. Three kids all running in three different directions while all the while things of family, Christian, moral, ethical values are pushed aside.

Years back, when the kids were much younger, the TV broke and I didn't replace it. Our family began to talk! We shared time, thoughts and many many laughs while what is standard fare then and now was no longer present.

Yep, guess I'd like to take some of the medical advancements along - both the wife and I would be dead otherwise - but other then that I'd go back to the 50s in a second.

Much better and simpler time!

Keep it Coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Isaac
05-16-2011, 11:44 AM
My wife made a keen observation a while back regarding the deteriorating family gatherings. She believes it began when retailers began opening for business on Sunday's. Doing so meant family gatherings after church ceased due to those who wanted to shop and those who worked on Sunday.

At least where our families are concerned, she's pretty much nailed it.

Isaac