PDA

View Full Version : Turkeys... fat and sneaky !

gew98
05-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Managed to get two nice gobblers this past youth hunt with mini-me. But the turkey season proper the big gobbler and couple of jakes in my woods eluded me like the plague. Have had them come up to the back door every morning since the season ended. Had them all around eevry dang day of the season but they never got wihtin scattergun range and the minute you tried to sneak out of the house and flank them...their sniper eyesight never let them down !. Had a nice fatty of a jake come within feet of the front door moments ago and took his mugshot...smart **** bird !.

DIRT Farmer
05-13-2011, 08:34 PM
That is what you get for taking a kid huntig, shown up. Come to think of it I think if I had the chance to relive some of the experiences I had with my soms when they were starting, I would know the defination of heaven. I used to have to remember to slow down, check if they were cold and tired and have to remember snacks and drinks, Now they bring the snacks and coffee in their truck. If I could just get them to slow down some so I could keep up.

condorjohn
05-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Would someone kindly get these DANG turkeys out of my yard?

runfiverun
05-13-2011, 11:25 PM
25-20 will stop them right there and you can walk over and get them.

giz189
05-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Congratulations to mini you. On the other part I feel your pain. I am covered in turkey poop this year.

KYCaster
05-14-2011, 12:40 AM
These showed up in my yard in 2008, hung around for six months or so then disappeared...........haven't seen a feather since. :confused:

This little turkey showed up about the same time......can't wait to get a gun in his hands.

Here he is (Sam) a couple of weeks ago.....not quite ready for a youth hunt......

Consider yourself blessed gew98, and make the most of the time with your kids....they grow up way too fast!!!

Jerry

blackthorn
05-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Quote "Consider yourself blessed gew98, and make the most of the time with your kids....they grow up way too fast!!!"

So true--my oldest son turned 50 last year! First time I thought that just maybe, could be, might be I'm getting old--then again--71? Naw not me!!

Congratulations to the mini you!!!

FISH4BUGS
05-14-2011, 09:39 AM
We put out cracked corn in the yard for the birds (typically doves, jays, small sparrow types, mocking birds, red wing blackbirds, cat birds, vireos, chickdees, nuthatches, squirrels, woodpeckers, etc.) and of course anywhere from 1-30 turkeys come around a lot. They will clean out a yard faster than Grant took Richmond, and leave NOTHING behind except piles of poop.
Haven't seen one since hunting season started May 5th but they will be back!
They ARE crafty critters!
My Rossi 92 shooting 38 wadcutters and a head shot at 20 yards will fill the freezer very nicely, thank you very much!....just waiting for the right time.

gew98
05-14-2011, 10:26 AM
These showed up in my yard in 2008, hung around for six months or so then disappeared...........haven't seen a feather since. :confused:

This little turkey showed up about the same time......can't wait to get a gun in his hands.

Here he is (Sam) a couple of weeks ago.....not quite ready for a youth hunt......

Consider yourself blessed gew98, and make the most of the time with your kids....they grow up way too fast!!!

Jerry

I hear you !. He just turned 8 29 April , loves the little 4 wheeler , gokart , all the old surplus army gear I gave him I used to have to lug around. I've already kitted him out with a Rossi pump 22 , S&W MP15 22 ( w/50 rd drum too ) , a 22 cricket , a romanian M69 .. and built a No4 .303 out of spare parts a buddy gave me for him when he gets older... though wihtthe marbles 32 S&W converter he does shoot it now. Rineyville is'nt terribly far from Webster , you'll have to come over sometime for a BBQ and enjoy the steel target rich impact are I conjured up in the back yard. Whomever says you can't get over run by wildlife by shooting alot has never been on a Military range !.

KYCaster
05-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Rineyville is'nt terribly far from Webster , you'll have to come over sometime for a BBQ and enjoy the steel target rich impact are I conjured up in the back yard.

Hell yeah!!

I love to shoot steel and I love to see a youngster having fun.

Have your secretary call my secretary and set it up....or maybe just a PM.

Looking forward to it.

Jerry

P.S. I love to eat BBQ too!

gray wolf
05-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Men I have to say it does my old heart good to see pictures like that and the great story.
My hats off to you great folks and your great attitudes about life.
Proud to know you.

Sam