PDA

View Full Version : TC White Mountain Carbine;

curdog
05-13-2011, 12:54 AM
I have a chance to buy a TC White Mountain Carbine 54 cal. Does anyone have one of these? Are they any good? It is in really good shape.

NickSS
05-13-2011, 06:20 AM
I owned two of them over the years and they are good rifles and real handy in the woods. i had very good luck with them but ended up selling them when I wanted something else more.

tinyejp
05-13-2011, 07:48 AM
I have one in .50 and agree that it's really handy in the woods. Folks say with this twist you need to use minies or sabots, but in my experience this little fella shoots the PRB almost as well. The frizzen isn't great, as it's case-hardened and wears out with a good bit of shooting, but that's easily re-hardenable or replaceable.

The rifle is very comfortable to shoot. I like the straight stock, and the sights make a nice picture. It's also very light, which makes for a good day in the woods!

All-in-all, a great choice for chasing whitetails or range work, in my opinion.

curdog
05-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will try this one.

idahoron
05-14-2011, 01:40 AM
A friend of mine has one. He has two barrels for his. The OEM barrel and a Green Mountain Stainless steel 1-28 twist. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Deer%20hunting/Johndeer05-a.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Antelope%202010/JohnsbuckA.jpg

Potsy
05-14-2011, 04:58 PM
One of my college roomates and his brother both had one in college. They shot well enough for the two of them to kill a couple of deer a year for several years.
I've tried to buy my old roomate's. He won't part with it even though he doesn't hunt it anymore and it's got kinda rusty.
Which reminds me, he just had a kid, maybe I oughta hit him up again?

quilbilly
05-15-2011, 12:01 AM
I have had my 50 cal White Mtn carbine for nearly 16 years and it has put a lot of venison (plus an elk or two) in the fridge. It shoots well with PRB but I have mostly used sabots and cast 429 boolits. I have named it "Sweet Thing" because it shoots better than I do with MOA accuracy at 100 using the sabots in front of 80 gr of FFF. I must admit it has a horrible trigger but you don't mess with success.

curdog
05-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the info and the pictures, nice mulie buck and pronghorn.

MikeS
05-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I have a 54 caliber White Mountain Carbine that I bought new many years ago (not long after they first came out with them). I've only shot it maybe a half a dozen times or so probably about 8 years ago or so. Does anyone know what twist the rifling is? When I shot it in the past it was with the Hornady Great Plains slugs.

I just bought a couple of moulds for it, a Lyman Maxi-ball mould, and a TC maxi. I haven't gotten them in yet, but when I do I plan on casting up a bunch of boolits for it. Anyone know how the WMC shoots with maxi-balls? I forgot to mention, mine is a percussion cap model, and a few years ago I bought a conversion nipple that uses 209 shotgun primers instead of #11 caps, but have yet to shoot it since putting that on.

If I wanted to convert it to a flintlock, would it just be a matter of changing the barrel, and lock assemblies? I have a pound of Triple 7 that I would be using, rather than the Pyrodex that I had because when I moved I didn't take the small amount of Pyrodex that I had (less than a pound) as it was getting kind of old (it was a very early batch that I'd had for a long time). Does anyone make 54 caliber pellets I could use rather than using loose powder?