PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Slugging

firewalkerd1
05-13-2011, 12:51 AM
I have read several threads that have mentioned slugging your barrel. I,m in on a GB on a MP mould and not sure on the size. My 45 is a remmington rand and I need to find the barrel size. I can't find anything that explains how to do this. I have read that some used a fishing sinker to a slugging kit. Could someone direct me to a site or try to explain the procedure. I've even tried u-tube.

cbrick
05-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Sure, its simple and after you've done it a time or two you'll think so too.

Use a soft slug, fishing sinker, bullet, whatever, just make sure it starts out larger than anticipated groove diameter. Clean the barrel well, run an oily patch through the barrel and tap the slug through using a brass rod. Never use a wood dowel.

When the slug comes out measure it with a micrometer, not calipers.

If you are getting one the Miha 45's I suggest a .454", much simpler to size down a .454 a thou or two than to get a .452 and find out you need a .453 or .454.

Rick

noylj
05-13-2011, 02:25 AM
In 35 years, I have never had a problem with a wooden dowel of 5.5" long.
Never found a need to oil the slug and would worry that my slug may be 0.001" undersized due to the oil. Just had to do a couple last night for a couple of .38 Supers.
When you slug, note any areas where the slug is harder or easier to push through the barrel. Indicates a variation in groove diameter and will probably make shooting lead bullets difficult as any area where the groove diameter exceeds bullet diameter will encourage gas cutting and leading.

GaryN
05-13-2011, 02:27 AM
Another thing that works for me is to use an old aluminum arrow cut to whatever length you want and them glue arrow inserts into both ends for strength. You can get all different sizes and the thicker ones are pretty tough. The first two numbers on an aluminum arrow is the diameter and is in 64ths. The next two numbers are in thousands and it refers to the wall thickness of the arrow. So a 2117 would be 21/64 in diameter and have .017 wall thickness. I think a 2020 would be a great size to try. I use the 2117 because I already have one. The only problem would be on small calibers. Gary

MtGun44
05-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Steel or brass rod are fine. A 1/4" steel rod rammed into a 25 ACP case makes a perfect
driver and the case protects the barrel with the brass "shoe" on the end. Add a couple of
rings of masking or electrical tape and you are good to go.

The good news is that of all the guns that need to be slugged, the least variation is in
the 1911 .45 ACPs, IME. They run VERY close to .451 in my experience. I rarely tell
folks to skip slugging, and often have said that all guns should be slugged, but if there
is a class of them that are "most likely to succeed" without slugging it is 1911s.

If you shot .452 boolits odds are HEAVILY in your favor that they will be just fine.

And that is from a guy that often says that asking "what size these guns usually run" and
using that to select a diameter is like buying shoes based on what size your friend
wears.

Bill

Doby45
05-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Could not agree more with MtGun44 on all counts..

Texas Heart Shot
02-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Ok, I understand the process of sluggin a barrel & the need for it. My question is; Buying cast bullets from a company say for a 45-70 that are .459 @ 405gr., should these be resized? I've already loaded around ten rounds and fired half of these. They seem to shoot ok and were quite on target.
My load was 37gr. of reloader 7 & large rifle primer pushing 405gr. fn bullet, 2 a range of 50 yds.

Wolfer
02-15-2012, 11:54 PM
I guess I'm a little lazy cause I'm pretty prone to shoot first and worry about problems after they arise. I find slugging a barrel to be pretty simple and easy but yet I have several guns that I don't know what size they are. If I shoot and it's accurate with no leading issues I don't bother slugging.
If not the first thing I do is slug. IME I guess you could get too big ( although I doubt if it would chamber ) but you can certainly get too small.

largom
02-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Ok, I understand the process of sluggin a barrel & the need for it. My question is; Buying cast bullets from a company say for a 45-70 that are .459 @ 405gr., should these be resized? I've already loaded around ten rounds and fired half of these. They seem to shoot ok and were quite on target.
My load was 37gr. of reloader 7 & large rifle primer pushing 405gr. fn bullet, 2 a range of 50 yds.

If it's not broke don't fix it! Your gun tells you what it likes and yours likes .459 boolits. I would not change anything unless you have a problem. If I were to change I would try .460 boolits if they will chamber OK.

Larry

stubshaft
02-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Let me repeat that, your gun tells you what it likes. Just because others swear by oversize boolits and xyz alloys doesn't mean yours will.