PDA

View Full Version : First smelting/biscuit session ....

bullpen7979
05-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Well, I did it. Obtained 1 full bucket almost to brim of ww. $10.00 is what it cost me but I had to visit four sources...bit of a pain...

Anyhow, for you ww geeks (like I tend to be about most things)
I calculated that the bucket weighed approximately 130 # to start.

Looks like my txfr efficiency from raw weight to lead biscuits was approximately 70%. This includes discarding all the hash, Zinc & Iron ones that wouldn't/didnt melt. I wasnt sure how hot the $15 proctor & silex hotplate would get. It took about 40 min for each batch to be ready to skim off/flux & pour. I sorted pretty carefully, using a pair of wire cutters to test.

Out of the 130# bucket, I had about 20# of usable stick on's. I set these aside in a separate container...I hope this was the right thing to do. I thought I read somewhere that these were softer. I tried to melt just the lead ww. I also melted down about 10# of range lead that I scrounged.....
Is this also softer?

Anyhow....by my calcs I ended up with about 90# of usable biscuits.

Don't even have a furnace/mold/sizing die yet.

Should I have mixed in the stick ons? are these ok to melt and use as they are?

Thanks list....

Doby45
05-12-2011, 09:02 PM
You did well sorting your stick-ons from your clip-ons.

05-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Yep, keep the stick-ons seperate. If you cast for handguns cartridges, you'll soon find a need for them.

bullpen7979
05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm planning on loading for 9mm. Should I just mix it in with the rest of the bunch?

Maybe add 1 pure lead biscuit for every 3 ww biscuit?

I'm not sure how they differ in hardness or other factors, and what implications that has for their proper use.

runfiverun
05-13-2011, 10:33 AM
the clip ons vary in antimony content anymore as do the newer stick-ons.
they used to be pretty consistent in alloy like .5% tin,3% antimony and some arsenic airc .14%
and the stick ons were .5% tin and the rest lead.

now days i am not so sure i think they recycled the heck outta them for a while and the antimony content has come down on the clip-ons and some of the stick-ons seem much harder now.

i do use the 3-1 proportion for most of my revolvers and waterdrop the same alloy for my rifles.
your 9mm might just like the 3-1 waterdropped and sized to .357

9's and 40's are a bit different when using cast you have to pay attention to the alloy,sizing, and case brand more than say a 38 or 45 acp.

blackthorn
05-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Since you dont have your mould/furnace or die yet and you have your lead ready to go, you can spend some time reading on this site. Read all of the "stickies" first and then practice using the search function to research specific questions you will have. Best time you will ever spend!! Good luck and have a great day.