PDA

View Full Version : What lead can you use?

tayous1
05-12-2011, 10:36 AM
I'd like to ask what lead can you use to cast with? I have a guy wanting to sell me printers lead he says he has two bars of it. Can I use it to cast and if so how much should I offer for it per pound? I'm guessing there is a tack post somewhere about what lead can be used that I have not seen. Thanks for the help.

Mal Paso
05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Linotype is the standard printers lead and current Rotometals price is $2.69.

You'll probably want to mix it with pure lead unless you want very hard boolits.

Doby45
05-12-2011, 11:07 AM
If it melts you can use it or mix it with something else. Lead of any kind =s good.

gray wolf
05-12-2011, 11:10 AM
It's also listed in some of the better casting books that are out there,
and there is a nice sticky with an E-book.
Give a little hint about what you are going to shoot it in ?????

cajun shooter
05-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Take time to read the sticky section of this forum. You should also read every thing written by Glenn Fryxell. Linotype is too hard for any kind of plinking, target or hunting bullets of lead. It is a very good metal to have to alloy yourself into the good range.

1Shirt
05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
I will use (at least eventually) any and all that I can get my hands on!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

XWrench3
05-12-2011, 07:09 PM
1Shirt, i agree with you 100%! i will take any, and all lead that comes my way! ESPECIALLY CHEAP LEAD!

tayous1
05-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Ok so it sounds like if I buy it I should mix it with some pure lead. I'm going to be using it for 45 acp ball rounds for just shooting. Also just got a score today with the Game and Fish guys about 100 12 ga 7.5 shot rounds along with maybe 100 30-06 brass and some lead free sliver solder. Could I use the sliver solder for any casting?

edited to add the 12ga ammo looks all rusted by the primer so I cut one open it has lead shot in it and the powder was all clumped like it had been wet so I was thinking of using the lead shot also to cast some boolits with I also need to check that tire repair shop near me bet he has a lot of lead also.

geargnasher
05-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Silver solder.

If you melt down the shot, don't do it in your casting pot. The stuff is oiled and coated with graphite, and the graphite makes a mess. Use a stainless sauce pan or something.

Now, please go back and read post #5 that you seem to have ignored, and take his advice. I see you asking all kinds of questions here and not really listening to or heeding the responses we take the time to compose. We can't help you if you don't do your homework and take a little responsibility for your own education regarding the basics.

Gear

leadman
05-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Look at the bottom of the page for the revolver and ram. This is a link to LASC with all the info you will need to begin casting.
Also buy a Lyman cast bullet manual. This can be ordered from on-line sites like Graf & Sons, Midway, Midsouth, or direct from Lyman.
The shot is coated with graphite as mentioned and this acts somewhat like a insulator so sometimes you will have to use a utensil to flatten them as they melt.