PDA

View Full Version : RL-7 and the 30-06

HEAD0001
05-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Guys I need a little help on a load. I know we have discussed this before. I did a search but I could not find what I wanted. So if I am being redundant then please accept my apology.

I have two large containers of RL-7 on my shelf. I use it in my 45-70's. But I would also like to use it for my 30-06.

I decided to go with the RCBS 180 grain FP bullet with a gas check. Mold is on order. I would like to use RL-7 with this bullet. The rifle is a TC Encore with a 24" barrel, and the rifle also has a muzzle brake.

I am looking for a good hunting load. Not necessarily a hot rod load. But I would like to get as much performance as I can-within reason.

So guys tell me what you are doing with RL-7, please.

I have found a good bit of data with other powders. But I am really interested in going with RL-7. Thanks, Tom.

BABore
05-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I've used Reloder 7 in my 30'06 with the Lyman 311041. My boolit dressed out at 180 grains. I used Lyman 48th Ed. data for that boolit. IIRC the max charge wt. was 40.0 grains. Using a CCI 200 primer, I was able to take my boolit up to the max charge listed and got good hunting accuracy with it. I was getting 1 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 yards, which was good enough for my purposes. I used a good quality lube and an alloy of 50% WW's and 50% Pb water dropped. Straight WDWW's were not near as accurate even though they were harder. I would get an antimony wash in the bbl after only a few rounds which destroyed accuracy. Normally, a much slower powder is needed to get good high velocity with cast. Reloder 7 was just one of those that bent the rules.