PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on a crackshot

GOPHER SLAYER
05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
My brother asked if I could sell this Stevens Crackshot and I have no idea what to ask for it. It is in excellent shape with almost all the case hardning. The white spot you see on the stock is a smear of white paint. The bore is perfect and of course the gun shoots. The action is stamped CRACKSHOT 26 and SVG in a circle. The barrel is stamped J. STEVENS ARMS CO. CHICOPEE FALLS MASS. USA. PAT. APRIL 22ND 1913 I apologize for the so-so quality of the pictures. One day I will learn to take close up pictures. My book of gun values is packed away in a box at another location. We are moving if escrow on the old homestead ever closes. As a test, who can tell me what type of phone is also in the picture?

missionary5155
05-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Good morning
I would head to Gunbroker and get a feel for prices people are paying.. not what the big sellers are asking.
Last one I bought cost me a Waltham pocket watch from 1897. Yours is a bit nicer looking though.
Mike in Peru

bearcove
05-13-2011, 07:04 PM
First you probably need to figure when it was made. Sure looks way newer than ours. It was a great uncles. they used it on the farm to put down the hogs and steers for butchering.

Its plain and old but a tack driver. If I remember it was worth $125 -150 when I checked 15 yrs ago.

Bent Ramrod
05-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Gopher Slayer,

According to Jim Perkins' American Boys' Rifles, your #26 Crackshot is among the last ones out the door before WWII shut down the boy's rifle production at Stevens' plant forever. This would be in the 1940-1942 timeframe. They came in .22LR, .32 Long rimfire, or smoothbore versions of both for shot cartridges (the 26 1/2).

Earlier Crackshots, before Savage took over Stevens, had shorter barrels and smaller straight stocks and splinter forends more typical of boys' rifles in the pre WWI period. The "SVG" in the circle is Savage's mark, which appeared on the remainder of the Stevens line after Savage took Stevens over in 1924.

Generally rifles of this type are offered at between $250 and $450 around here. Yours is in pristine enough shape to attract an "advanced collector" but sometimes such well-heeled collectors in need of a given item are rarer than the item itself. Gunbroker would probably be your best bet for a quick gauge of market response.

Just guessing the telephone is some kind of military field phone.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks to all of you for the information, especially Bent Ramrod. Ramrod, I have also found in my experience at least that when you find a died in the wool collector he will be among the most tight fisted people ever to trod the earth.