PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 1st Efforts

DOUBLEJK
06-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Well I got some loaded last night for the newly aquired Browning 53..but unfortunately they weren't the Saeco 322's...had a few too many Honey do's to cast any..:|
However I had a box of them J-werd's on the shelf from Speer...the 100Gr. HP variety....
After gleenin' all the great info from the past posts on reloading these bottle necked cases n tryin' for good case life I set the sizin' die to size to bout 1 tenth inch less than full length...the cases were lubed with a touch a Imperial sizin' wax n run in the die which left a very visible new shoulder...next up was the primin' punch n I ran inta an a unussal couple a case's....I was usin' a Lyman ram primin' setup n adjusted it to seat em to just below flush on the 1st case....2 of em didn't seat all the way and the rims looked too thin....got out the calipers n sure nuff most were .0615" n these 2 were only .0410" thick....otherwise they looked the same as the other 48....perfect R-P 32-20 in the case head n same O.A.L. Has anybody else run into this?
So I had 48 good one's to load....next run em into the expander die n man did they expand alot....these Lee dies sure sized em down alot....expanded em just enough to start that J'ed bullet and it sure seemed like alot of werkin' that thin brass...:???: probably wasn't close to bein' able to seat a real boolit without shavin' it...
Then I adjusted the ole measure to throw 14.0Gr's of AA#1680 n filled em up...n seated em to 1.585" O.A.L. n then raised the seatin' stem outa the way n proceeded to adjust fer a nice crimp....didn't smash any n they looked good...[smilie=l:
This mornin' I headed fer the pond n set up my chrono n a plywood bench top I set on my truck bed too give me a fairly stable standin' bench...
Stapled up a couple a targets at the 50yd. backer n let 5 of the R-P factory loads go for effect n group......went inta bout 1-3/4" with a reading of 1192 n 1188 fps at 10'....dang chrono wasn't readin' em all...
Then I stuck 5 a the reloads in the magazine n when I cycled the 1st one it needed a bit more effort to close the lever all the way than the factory loads did....wonder if that bullet was seated a might too long er the case needs sized just a might more...not wantin' ta risk pullin' a bullet I just fired em that way....dang chrono didn't read a single round but they went inta a group of 3/4" nice n round and with 3 touchin'....:-D
Now ifin' I get a train to dump at werk tonight I'll get some real boolit's made up fer it...n hope they will shoot that well Ifin' they do I'm gonna be a real happy camper...

9.3X62AL
06-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Nice results, indeed. My Marlin 94CCL did similar things with factory loads, and I haven't done enough work with the cast critters to really assess its potential. The Lee Soup Cans are just a little skinny (.311" sizer just touches the drive bands) to call the results fair, but they did better than factory loads. I haven't run any of the Speer 100 HP's through mine yet, but an earlier Marlin 94CL liked them and the Hornady 100 XTP's pretty well. The 85 grain XTP's were awful.