PDA

View Full Version : The Gibbs Summit

Jim
05-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, I sent an email to the Gibbs Rifle Company. I asked them how many of the Summit rifles were made.

They responded this morning, telling me that only about 2,000 were made. That explains why I can't find any on Gun Broker or Guns America.

I bought mine back in the fall of '02. Just a year or two later, I found out there weren't anymore.

If you own a Summit, you might want to give some thought to selling it. The one I own isn't going anywhere.

school of mines
05-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I have always wanted a Summit, but could never find one! How about posting some pics?

Olevern
05-23-2011, 01:00 PM
If'n I diden't have a Siamese Mauser 45-70 I might be tempted to add a Gibbs to my list of wants. I think i have the caliber covered though, with three Marlin lever actions, the Siamese bolt and a Ruger No. 1. How's that Gibbs shoot, Jim?

Jim
05-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I apologize for taking so long to respond. The truth is, I forgot about this thread.

Vern, it shoots pretty good. Adding the scope really helped me improve my shooting with it. I now have loads with 300, 350, 405 and 500 grain boolits that I can keep in a 2 inch group at 50 yards from a bench rest.

These rifles are getting scarce. I can't remember the last time I saw one on any of the auction sites. The value has not exactly gone through the roof, but I think people are sitting on them because there were only so many made and they're nice rifles. If you find one, you might better jump on it.

HERE (http://fgsp.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/the-gibbs-summit/) is a post I put up on my photos site on the rifle.

Olevern
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
That's one fine lookin rifle, Jim. Bet it would make a great hog rifle. I like the flush mag. Looks much better than the stock.