PDA

View Full Version : Heat treating affect GC performance?

Shuz
05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
The other day I pulled some .25 cal air cooled boolits from loaded .250 Savage rounds because they were not shooting well. Heat treated boolits were performing much better, so I decided to heat treat those already sized, checked and lubed. First of all, I tried acetone to remove the Lars White Label 50/50 lube, because I know what a mess lubricant makes on the foil lined oven tray.
It did not work, but I heat treated them anyway. Then I got to thinking,(we're entering a real danger zone now!), I wonder if the gas checks will be adversly affected by the heat treatment?
I dunno. I haven't shot them yet to see, but I'm wondering what to expect? The checks now have the more yellow color of the Lyman brand. Comments?

GRUMPA
05-11-2011, 10:15 AM
I have always heat treat my boolits with checks on them, saves me a headache if I forget to put the checks on after heat treat. Boy what a booger that was trying to put checks on heat treated boolits. Yeah they are a different color but from what I observed, they shoot the same regardless of putting them on before or after heat treat.

BABore
05-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Annealed GC's shoot just fine. In some cases better than unannealed ones. One problem you may encounter is the GC's popping off when you quench or they relax and loosen. You can also develope cracking of the boolit where the GC crimps on. Felix has mentioned this many times. I've never had it happen with big boolits, but keep an eye out for it.

44man
05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
The other day I pulled some .25 cal air cooled boolits from loaded .250 Savage rounds because they were not shooting well. Heat treated boolits were performing much better, so I decided to heat treat those already sized, checked and lubed. First of all, I tried acetone to remove the Lars White Label 50/50 lube, because I know what a mess lubricant makes on the foil lined oven tray.
It did not work, but I heat treated them anyway. Then I got to thinking,(we're entering a real danger zone now!), I wonder if the gas checks will be adversly affected by the heat treatment?
I dunno. I haven't shot them yet to see, but I'm wondering what to expect? The checks now have the more yellow color of the Lyman brand. Comments?
They will be OK and might even work better. The reason for the check is to arrest skid of the boolit. Sometimes softer works better.
I tried air cooled in my .44 many times and they did not work like water dropped so I tried annealed checks and accuracy did improve.
You boolit hardness and toughness is more important anyway.

Doc Highwall
05-11-2011, 10:23 AM
The temperature that you heat treat bullets at is far to low to anneal gas checks.

runfiverun
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
what doc said.
you don't anneal brass or copper under 700.