PDA

View Full Version : LEE 358-158-SWC with gas check mold

RDub
05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi
I picked up one of these;

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/rafswede/LeeSWCw-gc.jpg

and a question came up about the gas check. Which one is recommended to put on this bullet?

After casting a few and attaching a Hornady 35cal gas check, I realized that the gas check was .362" and the bullet .358".. This would create a 'midriff bulge in the case when the bullet is seated.. so I'm thinking.. If, I was to just attach the gas check and tumble lube..

So I sent the bullets through the 450 sizer at .358", and then treated the bullets to the LEE alox tumble lube process. This bullet as cast would seem to be quite a bit larger than .358" as the sizer 'sized' quite a bit.. But the gas check is now .358"...

What is usually done with this bullet?

Thanks

05-10-2011, 08:20 PM
The gas check gets crimped into the boolit's base and will end up being at boolit diameter, in your case .358". There won't be any "midriff bulge".

Lee moulds usually drop oversized.

RDub
05-10-2011, 09:37 PM
The gas check gets crimped into the boolit's base and will end up being at boolit diameter, in your case .358". There won't be any "midriff bulge".

Lee moulds usually drop oversized.

Well there wont be any now.. since the boolits went through the 450 sizer.
I guess what I was asking is, these boolits were meant to be sized through a LEE bullet sizer tool, yes?
This would make more sense now that I remember LEE does have their own sizing dies. This would do the same thing as the Lyman 450 sizer and, using a LEE tool wouldn't deform the nose by using a Lyman top punch.

I have two other .358 LEE molds and I discovered that all I had to do was, do the Alox tumble treatment on those and they shoot great as cast. I was thinking this would be the same, but I see on this boolit, the gc has to be crimped in and sized.

So.. guess its time to pick up a LEE sizing tool..

Thanks

05-10-2011, 10:28 PM
"I guess what I was asking is, these boolits were meant to be sized through a LEE bullet sizer tool, yes?"

No.

And, there is no need to buy a Lee sizer, your Lyman 450 and .358" die are all you need. A Lyman 429 top punch will not deform the nose.

RDub
05-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Ok, very good. Thanks