PDA

View Full Version : Kroil and lead

milprileb
05-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Gents,

I caught some of your comments on using Kroil in molds. Today was the smelt day for me and I had two of the Lee aluminum ingot molds brand new to use along with my old SAECO ingot mold. Well, I oiled the lee molds down and flat out: they just took the lead and WW metal all day long and dumped ingots clean as you could ask. I intend to do this to my Saeco mold now.

I tried CLP (how foolish that idea was) in the muffin pan cup cake recesses. ALL i GOT WAS LEAD LOCKED TIGHTLY INTO THOSE HOLES ! Should have used Kroil !!!

Oil is not always oil it appears !

44fanatic
05-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Ive started using Kroil on my casting molds. After a few casts, its usually burnt off and the boolits drop right on out.

05-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I have a Lyman 358311 that required an extraordinary amount of handle hinge tapping to get the boolits to release. I applied some Kroil, and the boolits fell out as soon as I opened the mould...no tapping needed. Other than the Kroil, there wasn't anything else done to the mould.

I haven't used the mould in many months, till, ironically, a few hours ago. The boolits jump out as if they can't wait to get out of the mould.

stubshaft
05-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I have been a Kroil fanatic for years. I use it on all of my molds and to clean my guns also. It entertains me to no end when people recommend scrubbing a mold out with soap and water when a quick spritz of Kroil will "git er done".

stubert
05-10-2011, 08:54 PM
I have been using Kroil at my shop for over 30 years, It is the ONLY penetrating oil I buy, Its uses are endless. I also use it to store my molds and my guns. It is ABSOLUTLEY the best penetrating oil on the market. And, I like the smell.

shotstring
05-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I ordered some Kroil last month after hearing all the rave reviews on it, but after reading all the literature on it, it appears to be a very toxic substance. Bad news to inhale either fumes or especially burnt fumes or even to have on the skin for lengths of time.

I know it contains some very effective chemicals such as benzene, which would explain why it works so well. Benzene is probably the single best solvent for removing any type of gunk, old oil or corrosion from metal that I have ever come across, but it is also one of the most toxic and dangerous.

For that reason, I worried about leaving Kroil on my molds and firearms for months at a time. Seems like the fumes would be all over in the air, and I touch my firearms all the time, so easy to have it on my skin without being aware. Anyone else have similar concerns?

giz189
05-10-2011, 11:14 PM
You mean it is more hazardous that a pot of lead at 700*

W.R.Buchanan
05-10-2011, 11:17 PM
I have been using Kroil for 30+ years also and it damn sure is the best penetrating oil there is. I had used it extensively while working at Edison Steam plants and the combination of Kroil and a rosebud will just about break anything loose.

I never had any idea to use it on a bullet mould until about 2 months ago when I showed up here.

Works great.

I can't stand the smell. It does not go away, however i got over that 30 years ago as well.

Randy

Ole
05-10-2011, 11:32 PM
You gotta love Kroil!

Heck I even brush my teeth with the stuff! [smilie=p:

:kidding:

mpmarty
05-11-2011, 01:13 AM
I used to work for a rural water company. We had some redwood tanks held together with steel bands. The bands had to be tightened every so often and we used Kroil on the adjusting bolts and nuts. This was in 1972. I've used it since and find it a good bore solvent as well as a mold release agent.

gew98
05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
It is ABSOLUTLEY the best penetrating oil on the market. And, I like the smell.

And I thought I was the only one !.

gew98
05-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Seems like the fumes would be all over in the air, and I touch my firearms all the time, so easy to have it on my skin without being aware. Anyone else have similar concerns?

No , none whatsoever.

rintinglen
05-11-2011, 09:30 PM
There are some people hereabouts whose noses must be blind if they think kroil smells good!

Yance
05-11-2011, 11:41 PM
There are some people hereabouts whose noses must be blind if they think kroil smells good!

I think you've got Kroil confused with Ballistol.:veryconfu

I have a buddy who seems to MARINATE all his guns in that stinkin' Ballistol!

Cadillo
05-12-2011, 12:05 AM
I ordered some Kroil last month after hearing all the rave reviews on it, but after reading all the literature on it, it appears to be a very toxic substance. Bad news to inhale either fumes or especially burnt fumes or even to have on the skin for lengths of time.

I know it contains some very effective chemicals such as benzene, which would explain why it works so well. Benzene is probably the single best solvent for removing any type of gunk, old oil or corrosion from metal that I have ever come across, but it is also one of the most toxic and dangerous.

For that reason, I worried about leaving Kroil on my molds and firearms for months at a time. Seems like the fumes would be all over in the air, and I touch my firearms all the time, so easy to have it on my skin without being aware. Anyone else have similar concerns?

I had to stop using it (Kroil)as it drove my blood pressure to some very high numbers each and every time I used it. I'm one of the fortunate ones who feel like hell when my pressure is up, and my girlfriend who is a nurse is able to keep track of any changes by testing. Since I stopped using the Kroil (barrel cleaning), my pressure has stayed down in a good range.

After casting I hose my moulds down with RemOil, and then hose them out with Brake Part Cleaner before I cast. I know that the Brake Part Cleaner is some hazardous stuff too, but I don't have any known reaction to it. Since I started with the Brake Part Cleaner, all my bullets drop freely from the mould and no wrinkles even from the start provided the mould is up to temp.

MikeS
05-12-2011, 01:39 AM
I know this might be heresy even just asking this, but here goes... Kroil is a penetrating oil, so I was just wondering, I don't have any yet, but I do have a couple of 4oz. bottles of Liquid Wrench,could I use those in moulds like kroil? I also have a 4oz. bottle of NAPA Penetrant. The Liquid Wrench is a clear liquid, the NAPA stuff is yellow in color, even tho they all seem to have the same smell, so I don't know if the NAPA is just older, or what. All of these bottles are old, probably 10 years old or so.

I only ask if these can be used, as they're FREE, and a bottle of Kroil costs almost $10.00 at Midway, and being that my normal financial state is broke, FREE sounds real good to me!

rwsem
05-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Hey MikeS-
Here you go, two cans for 12 bucks. I've done this twice and both times, they delivered!
http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

That should help w/ the price..

nicholst55
05-12-2011, 06:18 AM
I know this might be heresy even just asking this, but here goes... Kroil is a penetrating oil, so I was just wondering, I don't have any yet, but I do have a couple of 4oz. bottles of Liquid Wrench,could I use those in moulds like kroil? I also have a 4oz. bottle of NAPA Penetrant. The Liquid Wrench is a clear liquid, the NAPA stuff is yellow in color, even tho they all seem to have the same smell, so I don't know if the NAPA is just older, or what. All of these bottles are old, probably 10 years old or so.

I only ask if these can be used, as they're FREE, and a bottle of Kroil costs almost $10.00 at Midway, and being that my normal financial state is broke, FREE sounds real good to me!

Mike:

I don't think anyone here is 'married' to Kroil. Why don't you try the LW and NAPA stuff and post the results here?

MikeS
05-12-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm doing just that! After reading the MSDS for Kroil I've decided that the NAPA stuff I have sounds like a closer match to Kroil than the Liquid Wrench, so I got out my 311041 mould and gave it a bath in the NAPA stuff, and my Lyman Big Dipper is heating up as I type this! I'm sitting in my backyard, typing this reply on my iPhone, as I don't like having a hot pot of lead unattended.

I also just started using a hot plate to preheat my mould & ladle, so I'm keeping an eye on them as well. When I'm done I'll let y'all know if the boolits jumped out of the mould or not.

pdawg_shooter
05-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Kroil, Brakefree CLP, and Ed's red (made with Kroil) are all the chemicals I have around any more.

Wally
05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
What stores carry Kroil..never found it at any that I've tried...

XWrench3
05-12-2011, 07:07 PM
you know, on an ingot mold, it might work fine. but i have tried it in a couple of lee aluminum boolit molds, and all it caused me was G R E I F ! it may work fine in cast iron molds, but for my experience, kroil will stay in the cleaning room for shooting. and no where in my casting room.

Ole
05-12-2011, 08:52 PM
What stores carry Kroil..never found it at any that I've tried...

I had to order mine online here (http://www.kanolabs.com/google/).

tomf52
05-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I've been using Liquid Wrench for a bore cleaner for a long time now. In my opinion there is nothing better.

Swindler1
05-12-2011, 11:16 PM
So you use the Kroil instead of trans fluid? (Eds Red)

pdawg_shooter
05-13-2011, 07:55 AM
I use Kroil WITH trany fluid and mineral spirits to make my version of Ed,s Red. Equal parts. If I have to clean jacketed, I add a little 20% ammonia.

markinalpine
05-13-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm doing just that! After reading the MSDS for Kroil I've decided that the NAPA stuff I have sounds like a closer match to Kroil than the Liquid Wrench, so I got out my 311041 mould and gave it a bath in the NAPA stuff, and my Lyman Big Dipper is heating up as I type this! I'm sitting in my backyard, typing this reply on my iPhone, as I don't like having a hot pot of lead unattended.

I also just started using a hot plate to preheat my mould & ladle, so I'm keeping an eye on them as well. When I'm done I'll let y'all know if the boolits jumped out of the mould or not.

WELL?
It's been a day and a half, dammit!
Mark :kidding:

gandydancer
12-11-2011, 11:59 PM
You gotta love Kroil!

Heck I even brush my teeth with the stuff! [smilie=p:

:kidding:
me too. and then leave them out all nite on a paper towel to dry.

MikeS
12-12-2011, 05:46 AM
WELL?
It's been a day and a half, dammit!
Mark :kidding:

Mark: Well, as they say, better late than never! The LW & the NAPA penetrating oils didn't do anything but make the moulds drop wrinkled boolits. Since then I went ahead and got the 'google deal' on 2 cans of AeroKroil, and have been using them for all sorts of tasks around here, cleaning guns, lubricating squeaky door hinges, etc. but the one thing I haven't done is try it in a mould! Well, I decided tonight to try it on a mould I have that doesn't really like dropping boolits (well, at least not as well as most of my other moulds). I sprayed the mould down pretty good, then I wiped off the external portions of the mould, and I'm going to leave it with the cavities along with the mould faces coated in kroil at least overnight, maybe even a day or two, and when I'm ready to start casting, I'll just preheat the mould like normal, then lube the tops of the blocks, bottom of the sprue plate with BullPlate (I'm pretty sure the kroil removed the coating that was there), wipe out the cavities with a Q-Tip (I'll remove the excess from the faces of the blocks before preheating, but leave the kroil in the cavities during the preheat). BTW, this one of my few aluminum moulds, and from what I've read I think folks basically say it works best with aluminum moulds, rather than brass or iron.

Gandy: My father used to say that he has teeth like the stars... They come out at night! Me OTOH don't have teeth like the stars, mine now live happily in a little covered cup in my bathroom, and every once in a while I put them in for a few hours, til I remember why I don't wear them! I've managed to adapt, and now can eat almost anything.

milprileb
12-12-2011, 08:34 AM
I posted this about Kroil working great in my ingot molds and it does.

However , buried in the Stickies is a thread on Kroil and I posted my results
with it in my bullet molds.

It was a disaster and I will never use Kroil in bullet molds again. Yes, the
bullets drop out of molds like lightning but are all wrinkled and like prunes.

Took forever to clean the molds to get Kroil out of them and get molds dropping
bullets correctly again.

If your molds work with Kroil, its amazing is all I can say

selmerfan
12-12-2011, 09:04 AM
I would like to see some photographic results of those of you who are using Kroil "successfully". It goes against every casting "rule" to put oil back in the mold if you want cleanly cast boolits. So...who can cast a boolit with a mold dipped in Kroil that doesn't have wrinkles all over it? Let's see 'em boys!

Flinchrock
12-12-2011, 09:19 AM
I would like to see some photographic results of those of you who are using Kroil "successfully". It goes against every casting "rule" to put oil back in the mold if you want cleanly cast boolits. So...who can cast a boolit with a mold dipped in Kroil that doesn't have wrinkles all over it? Let's see 'em boys!

I durn sure ain't had any luck with it!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes....what selmerfan said !

I have a RD 6 cav. mold (225-50) that is a sticky wicket.
I've polished the cavities once, it helped a little, but needs more.
I've thought about trying Kroil, but don't like the idea of cleaning
out the cooked on oil.
Jon

Lizard333
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I have used Kroil in every mold I own. Works fine. I add it when the molds are good and hot, after a dozen or so casts. I wipe out the excess and start casting again. I dump the next few casts, as they are wrinkled, but them I start getting jewels. Doing it this way I can go 5 or 6 casting sessions without having to do it again. I prefer to cast my boolits with a light frost, so maybe you guys aren't getting your molds hot enough to fully use the Kroil. Just my thoughts.