PDA

View Full Version : Pan Lubing Question ??

cigg52
12-21-2006, 02:22 PM
I have not tried it yet, but been reading a lot of post about pan lubing, what know one seen to say is how do you clean the lube off the rest of the bullet without knocking it of the grease grooves ? Do you just use your thumb and fingers or what ? Thanks

Dale53
12-21-2006, 05:02 PM
cigg52;
Write me direct at rmcgee 6 @ cinci.rr.com (remove spaces) and I'll send you my complete article on pan lubing.

Dale53

mooman76
12-21-2006, 05:16 PM
I just used another brass case to cut it like a cookie cutter. You have to wait for the lube to start to set a little so it sticks to the bullet yet is still soft enough to cut easy. I used brass casings that I cut the end off of and they have to be a hair larger than the bullet so it doesn't cut the lead bullet. Another thing I was doing was to put the bullets in the freezer to get them cold just 10 minutes or so and put the lube in one of those cheap crock pots at a warm setting just enough to melt the lube. Then dunk the bullets in one at a time and sit on wax paper to harden. They harden fast do to the cold bullet. If the bullet isn't cold you don't get enough stuck to the bullet to fill the grove. You could also dunk a second time if the first coat was too thin. A few might get messed up but you can just do them over.

John Boy
12-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Cigg ... Pan Lube 101 (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=301.0)

Goatlips
12-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Cigg, here's one with pitchers: [smilie=1:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

Goatlips

Howdy Doody
12-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Once again Goatlips has posted an easy to follow method and the pictures are great.:-D

I follow nearly the same method, however, I take my boolits and stick them in an empty plastic tray that loaded ammo comes in, nose first. Styrofoam trays will work too. Then I take my pan and place it on top of the boolits and turn the whole thing over. Now I have the boolit bases on the bottom of the pan. I carefully remove the tray that held the boolits and there they are in rows and all even. I then take my melted lube and pour. Once I have let the pan sit long enough to harden I then stick the ammo tray back on top of the boolits noses. I then turn over once again and simply push my now lubed boolits through the cake and into the tray with the eraser end of a pencil and when they are all pushed through, I dump the tray and continue on. It goes very fast for me. I take the cake and remelt it and do again.

1Shirt
12-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Hats off to Goatlips for one of the best threads on pan lubing around. Have used pan lubing much in the past, and don't knock it particularly for big long boolits like 311284, and the long 45-70 boolits. However, have secumed long ago to both Lyman Lubersizer and the Lee Mule snot and sizer method cause it is just faster, particularly with short, fat, and small boolits.
1Shirt!

bishopgrandpa
12-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Reminds me of the days when I first started casting. Some weird techniques were used in all facets of reloading but that is what gave us the equipment we have today. Necessity IS the mother of invention. If a thread was started on odd ideas we used it would never end.

Etienne Brule
12-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Write me direct at rmcgee 6 @ cinci.rr.com (remove spaces) and I'll send you my complete article on pan lubing.

Dale53

Dale53,

Your article answers all questions about pan lubing. It is GREAT.

Thank you

Etienne Brűlé, the first "coureur des bois".

Dale53
12-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Etienne Brule;
Thanks for the kind words.

Dale53

45nut
12-23-2006, 01:03 AM
cigg52;

Dale53

Dale,,would you agree to having that posted on our articles pages?

Dale53
12-23-2006, 01:42 AM
45nut;
I would love to do it but it is copyrighted by The Single Shot Rifle Journal. They will be putting it up on their web site. When that is accomplished I can then, as well as this forum, show a link direct to the article. That should work for both venues.

Dale53

45nut
12-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Sure,,,no problem with that!

The submission of articles here has been rather,,,lacking lately. If anyone wants to gain a bit of immortailty on our servers please contact me.
I know the www has many venues for creating your own space now,but having an article here is rather focused on a viable audience for our craft.

44man
12-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Here is my home made cake cutter. I can remove the punch out stem and run boolits all the way through but I like to do one at a time. I then use my thumb on the stem, push the boolit back out a little and wipe the base across a rag to clean it before pushing it out to where I stack them. This way I don't have to handle the boolit to clean the base.

Etienne Brule
12-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Here is my home made cake cutter. I can remove the punch out stem and run boolits all the way through but I like to do one at a time. I then use my thumb on the stem, push the boolit back out a little and wipe the base across a rag to clean it before pushing it out to where I stack them. This way I don't have to handle the boolit to clean the base.

Hi 44man,

What a great idea.

If you tell us how to do it, it would be a GREAT sticky.

Thank you to show us what you have made.

Joyeux Noel !

Etienne Brűlé.............. the first "coureur des bois".............../

44man
12-24-2006, 12:57 AM
I just drilled out a hunk of brass rod, turned the outside so it was thinner and lapped it so boolits just slide through. I made the handle on my wood lathe out of cherry. The rod is a piece of magnesium I had laying around. I turned it to fit the brass tube. No biggy with a lathe, I might have a few hours work in it. You can use anything for it, doesn't need to be hardened because it will never wear out. You could also use a cartridge case and expand it a little, then cut the back off and epoxy it in a hunk of wood with a hole all the way through. Sure easier then pushing boolits out through the flashhole.