PDA

View Full Version : "plain-base .357 magnum loads..."

exile
05-09-2011, 05:07 PM
So, I finally got some .357 magnum brass. To start with, I am going to load some plain-base .358 SWC boolits over AA # 9, using LLA, Johnson's Paste Wax and mineral spirits as lube.

Has anyone done this with much success? Just curious.

Later, I plan to cast the Lee gas-checked boolit and use gas checks and possibly pan-lube, but wanted to see how this worked first. Thanks.

exile

fecmech
05-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Exile--I have had excellent luck with plain base bullets in the .357 mag. I actually think the slower ball powders such as 296,H110, AA9 aid in a lead free PB experience by acting like COW in the throats and forcing cone. When I look at recovered bullets from these loads the bases have imprints of the powder granules which I think protects the base from the initial gas cutting. I have a .357 94 Winchester with a toilet bowl for a throat that tends to lead (in the throat) with faster powders. Two or 3 shots with my mag load of WC 820 cleans the throat of all lead. They also seem to give a less violent start to the acceleration. I have not done any work with mag loads and tumble lube so I can't speak to that but GC's are something easily lived without in the .357

exile
05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
That is good to hear. Don't want to pay for gas checks unless I need to. I had fairly good luck with the Lee 90 grain TL boolit with LLA, paste wax and mineral spirits in my .327 Federal revolver (no leading), but had not tried it in the .357 magnum.

exile

357shooter
05-09-2011, 07:41 PM
The Lee TL358-158-SWC is a fine bullet in a 357, others are probably good as well. I'm using 50/50 LLA/Mineral Spirits with mica and 3.5 grains of 700X. It a light enough load to not smack it to hard, and is very accurate.

I haven't used any magnum powders with it in a while and don't recall how it worked with a tumble lube.

MT Gianni
05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I have had lead free loads with the 357 max and PB boolits. [180 gr not yet chroned] I do OK with the LY 358477/RCBS 150 K and the 358429 all PB molds in 357.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I am using LEE 158 RNFP and it is pushed by 13 gr. of AA#9. No leading but the cases are sooty and there is some smoke. I use either 45-45-10 and Carnuba red for lube. Both seemed to work. I am going to bump up the powder charge and see what it looks like. I use the 158 RNFP sized to .3585 with 16.3 grains of H-110 and that is really clean. Just use Carnuba red so far on that one. Remember....... this is on my revolver. Fit is King as they say here. Oh ya. The lead is WW with 2% Tin.
I use a heavy crimp also. I am doing this by memory and I recommend checking those loads.......... I'd go on but I don't remember :)

357shooter
05-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Reread the original post, not sure why I thought 158 SWC's. Shooting a 170grain 358-429 (plain base) with 11.8 or 15.0 grains of H110 works well too.

exile
05-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I can't tell you guys how glad I am to here this! I have the Lee gas checked mold, but also the Lee 158 grain RNFP mold. I thought that RNFP profile might work well on deer if I could get a good load with no leading.

I have been shooting mostly .38 specials and .44 specials for the last 5 years. The only true magnum loads I have shot have been out of my .41 magnum, those just recently.

Truthfully though the history of the .357 magnum has always fascinated me. I remember reading articles about a priest in Alaska doing amazing things with the .357 magnum right after the cartridge had been developed. Sure, there are bigger cartridges out there, but the .357 started it all. So, I am looking forward to the journey.

exile

chuckbuster
05-09-2011, 08:58 PM
"Sure, there are bigger cartridges out there, but the .357 started it all. So, I am looking forward to the journey. "

I think the Keith loaded .44 Special "started" it all.....

williamwaco
05-09-2011, 09:27 PM
I have owned and loaded for at least two dozen .357 Magnums for 50 years. I have never loaded or fired a gas check bullet. Plain base bullets work fine with minimal to no leading up to the maximum velocity the .357 can achieve with 150+ grain bullets. This assumes proper sizing and good lube. ( another whole subject ).

I have just recently become a fan of the Lee Tumble Lube bullets and I am happy to report that that Lee TL-358-158 is one of the finest .357 bullets I have ever used. It is very easy to cast, and shoots 1" five shot groups at 50 yards from my Thompson Contender with 8x scope. Using LLA. ( No Johnson's paste wax - this seems like a lot of work for no discernable return to me. ) These work fine up to around 1400 fps.

A word about Accurate No.9. I am really worried about some of the loading data I have seen published for this powder in the .357 Mag. My first load using this powder was, by concidence, with this Lee bullet. The load was eight tenth of a grain below the maximum listed in two different manuals. It was also below one published suggested starting load. It was also less than the 13 grains listed in an answer above.

When I fired it, I was stunned - literally - by the recoil. It was almost 44 magnumish - significantly harder than any .357 Magnum load I have fired. I couldn't find anything visually wrong and no signs of excessive pressure so I fired two more rounds. At this point I heard a rattle and noticed that the forend was falling off the Contender. While looking for my screwdriver, I noticed that the scope rings had also come loose. I retired the rest of these loads, took them home and disassembled them to check the powder charge. It was correct.

I do NOT suggest that there is anything wrong with this powder. I AM suggesting that when using it with the .357, cut the recommended starting load by a full grain and work up a couple of tenths at a time.

exile
05-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Chuckbuster, I am sure you are right.

WilliamWaco, I was going to start with 12.4 grains of AA # 9, which is a tenth of a grain over the starting load in the Lee manual for a 158 grain lead boolit. Hope it works out. Like I said, I have worked with this powder in the .32 H & R magnum and the .41 magnum. So, I am hoping for good results with the .357 as well.

I have heard rumors about flame cutting with AA # 9 on the internet, supposedly because it is a "double-base" powder. I don't know enough to know what that means. I got interested in AA # 9 after reading an article by Brian Pearce in "Handloader" magazine. One of the things he said was that magnum primers were not necessary. At the time, primers were hard to find and I did not have any magnum primers, so I went this route.

I would like to try 2400, to duplicate what Brian Pearce said was the original .357 magnum load. Actually the first loads used something like Dupont 80, but from what I understand that is not being made anymore.

So, onward and upward.

exile

mpmarty
05-09-2011, 11:57 PM
AA-9 is my all time favorite powder in the 10mm. Easy to light, clean burning and plenty of power.

exile
05-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Someday when I get rich, I will buy a Dan Wesson 10mm. I remember going to visit a friend in Springfield when I was 16. He took me to a Bass Pro Shop. Everyone walked around and looked a clothes and fishing gear, I stood (for hours I think) and stared at the Delta Elite 10mm in the gun case. 35 years later, I still want one.

exile

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-10-2011, 01:24 AM
I'm glad to hear of the good reports on Lee's 358-158 SWC, as my mold arrived today!:mrgreen:

Char-Gar
05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
I have fired many thousands of rounds of 357 Magnum ammo with 150-160 PB cast bullets of my own making (SAECO/Cramer #12) with excellent results. Almost all have been with 2400 powder, but a few hundred with AA9. AA9 has been a good powder for me, but has a funky pressure curve. When the loads get near top end, the pressures can take off for the sky with very little more powder. So, when you get to the top end..go very slow! 2400 powder is more linear.

I have had nothing but bad luck with store bought bullets, except some custom hand cast bullets from small shops like Bullshop and Dry Creek. Those have been great.

1Shirt
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Never had a problem with plain base (hard) blts in 357 in vols up to 1600 fps. Over that, I go to gas checks. Prefer 2400 as pdr of choice.
1Shirt!:coffee: