PDA

View Full Version : TC Renegade .54 cal flintlock problem

smoked turkey
05-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Well I finally got to scratch the itch for a flintlock. Rifle is described above. I purchased it on GunBroker and got around to shooting it this afternoon. It is used and in good condition. However I ran into a problem in trying to remove the stainless steel touch hole insert that is the fire channel for the rifle. According to the manual the insert is to be removed each time it is cleaned. I can see why because on this rifle it seems to be sticking into the barrel slightly above the lands. I can see that this would be beneficial for more positive ignition. However it is in the way of being able to run a patch all the way into the very bottom of the barrel. It appears to be rusted in. Anyway I cannot get it out. The problem I ran into was after I fired two shots I ran a wet patch down the bore followed by a dry one. Unknown to me at the time I didn't get all the water out due to the insert being in the way. I ended up having to pull the patched ball and cleaning with hot water the best I could with the insert in the way. I have a couple of questions for other flintlock shooters particularily those familiar with the Renegade. Are all the touch hole inserts like this? If so, how do you clean between shots? Any suggestions for removal? Soak with KRoil for a few days was what I am tempted to do. Drilling it out is not my first choice since it is stainless and probably very hard. Thanks for any input.

waksupi
05-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Kroil is a good start. I have never, ever heard of anyone recommending the vent being removed from a flintlock like that. The only time I take one out, is if I am replacing it. If you do have to remove it, find a good fitting screw driver, put pressure on it, and tap the top of the screw driver with a light hammer. That should move it.
If you get it out, file some of the inside end off, so you don't hang up patches. Maybe someone more familiar with factory guns can help more, but that sounds like some of the most ridiculous instructions I have ever heard. Even on a cap lock, you should not be removing the nipple every time.

daddywpb
05-09-2011, 04:44 AM
If the vent liner has a screw slot, then it's one of the older ones. I have a used Renegade also, and the liner was stuck when I got it. I soaked the breech end of the barrel in boiling hot soapy water, and it came out easily after a few minutes. Something to try anyway. I remove the liner every time I clean the barrel to get the threads nice and clean. You can pick up a pack of the new T/C liners that use an allen wrench, They're inexpensive and easier to get in and out. I use Knight breech plug grease on mine when I reinstall it, and just snug it up with the wrench like you would a breech plug - don't tighten it. it has never been hard to remove since.

nicholst55
05-09-2011, 05:55 AM
I agree, put some Kroil in there and let it sit for a day. You may have to use an easy-out to remove it, but let the Kroil work for a day first. When you reinstall it (or a replacement), be certain to apply some kind of grease to the threads - either dedicated ML breech plug grease, or even choke tube lube.

I bought a used percussion Renegade, and found that the vent screw was rusted in place. I squirted some Kroil down the bore and turned the gun on its side for less than 10 minutes - the screw was now free to turn! Its good stuff!

smoked turkey
05-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Mine is soaking up the Kroil as we speak. I hope to give it a try tomorrow or next. My hope is that I experience the same as you that had similiar problems. I need to ask if either of you, nicholst55 or daddywpb have the protrusion of the liner protruding into the barrel far enough to hang up the ram rod when cleaning? I understand at the end of a shooting session you might want to clean it throughly by removing it but when swabbing the bore between shots how does that work. As I mentioned in my first post that is when I got in trouble with moisture because I couldn't get a patch far enough into the bottom of the barrel to dry it completely. I can see now that a damp patch will probably the thing to use rather than a "wet" one.

nicholst55
05-10-2011, 01:51 AM
My Renegade flinter does not suffer from that problem, but I've shot guns that did. The best thing to do is to determine how far its protruding into the bore and file it down enough to clear. I never remove the vent liner for cleaning - it simply isn't necessary and it causes unnecessary wear on the threads.

Once you get the vent liner removed, you can measure the barrel threads for depth. That will show you how much length needs to be removed from the vent liner.

I normally just use a 'spit patch' when swabbing between shots - wet one side with saliva and swab the bore, then flip it over and swab it dry.

NickSS
05-10-2011, 06:18 AM
I have had sticking nipples and vent liners over the years and usually soaking them with penetrating oil will get them loose. If not apply some heat with a torch and that should do it. I just had a stuck nipple in a zouave rifle I bought at a Rendezvous a few months ago. It was used and I do not think the former owner had ever pulled the nipple. I soaked it in Kroil and use a 1/4 inch wrench held by vice grips for leverage and it came right out. By the way I always put never seize compound on threads of nipples and screws that I need to take out. Since I have been doing this I have not had a single issue with not being able to remove a screw due to black powder fouling.

thunderthud
05-10-2011, 12:57 PM
when you get the touch hole / vent out grind it so its flush with the lands in the barrel put some no seize on it screw it in and leave it in! there is no need or reason to ever remove it unless the hole burns out too big, for most shooters that ain't happenin'. If for some reason you do need to remove it you drill out the center insert the correct size EZ out and remove it.
I like Waksupi have never heard of removing a vent for cleaning.

smoked turkey
05-10-2011, 11:41 PM
I let the touch hole/vent liner soak in Kroil a little over 24 hours. I tried to get it out this evening and no go! It is really stuck. I called TC this morning and talked to Kathy. She said the best thing would be to return the barrel to them for removal. She said that if anything gets damaged it would be on them and they would supply a new barrel to me. I like the sound of that, although I don't expect it to happen. I have already broken one of my good Chapman screw drivers on it. I am afraid I will gouge the barrel if the screwdriver slips. I hate to chicken out but I am planning to send the thing to TC and let them do the work. When it is back I plan on grinding the vent flush with the inside and using it that way as has been suggested. thanks for all your helpful comments.

Tammany42
05-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Why not have them address the Vent protrusion issue?

nicholst55
05-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Nothing wrong with having T/C do the job; as stated, if they muck it up, you get a new barrel. I think I would have them correct the vent protrusion while they had the barrel, as Tammany42 suggested.

smoked turkey
05-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Great Idea. I will and thanks!

Ohio Rusty
05-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Your touchhole liner should be flush with the barrel and not protruding at all. When you run your finger over the barrel and liner, you shouldn't feel any difference. I'd let them fix the issue for you.

With your T/C, the barrel is easily removable, and put down in a bucket of water. That makes cleaning the barrel easy with either the nipple on a caplock removed or the liner removed from a flinter when cleaning. Just a few drops of Dawn detergent in some warm water makes an excellent cleaning medium.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Omnivore
05-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Might there also be a burr inside the bore at the liner hole, from drilling and tapping?

Breech plugs are put in with anti-sieze and left in place for many years. Seems odd to remove a flash hole liner every cleaning. Keep it simple. It's more fun that way.

smoked turkey
05-12-2011, 10:27 PM
From several posts here, evidently many flintlock shooters leave their vent liners in place during cleaning and don't remove them very often. However, the TC manual for their flintlocks recommends removal after every shooting session. I believe the shooters on this site usually know what works and what doesn't. I have my Renegade boxed up and plan to mail it to TC tomorrow for them to remove the stuck liner. I believe there could be something wrong inside the barrel of mine because it is impossible to clean with the liner installed. It pulls the patch off the cleaning rod and must be fished out with the wire hook that goes on my ramrod. Once I get that taken care of I imagine I can leave my liner in place. I just have to see what the obstruction is. I suspect the liner is too long for the application. It has been suggested that it be ground down. I will have TC address that problem also.