PDA

View Full Version : newbee needs help

straightarrow
05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Started reloading a month ago for 38 caliber. Used store bought round nose. They were very accurate and I fell in love with reloading. The price was almost $50.00 for 500 so I wanted to try and pour my own. I live in Iowa and just retired after 35 years with a police department. I have always poured my own fishing jigs so I had the equipment as well as a five gallon bucket of bullets reclaimed from our old inside range.
I ordered a Lee 158 grn swc and a sizer. Poured 50 sized and reloaded 25 of them. They were horrible, very inaccurate, would not group and tumbled. Read on the internet that most guys don't size the tumble lube bullets so I tried that and was amazed what a difference it made they are very accurate - better than the store bought.
I have two Glock 40 S&W that were carried on duty so of course I wanted to reload for them also. Even after all the yes you can no you can't shoot lead in Glock barrels info I read I decide to try it. My Lee 175 grn swc mold came and I poured and loaded some. Had same problem as with the original 38's I loaded, no accuracy, no groups and the bullets tumbled.
There is so much info available on this web site that I am sure if I read enough I can find the answer but thought I would ask to see anyone else has had the same problem.
I know there are after market barrels but my research says they might work they might not so I don't want to go that route. I would rather take the money for a new barrel and buy another Ruger GP100 which may be the best revolver I have ever held in my hands.

05-08-2011, 09:14 PM
PM sent

GRUMPA
05-08-2011, 09:22 PM
It sounds like (to me) that you haven't slugged your barrel to get an accurate size for your boolits. You really (if that's the case) need to know what your diameter of your barrel is. A good pair of micrometers are the best to use. I do this with all my loads, and never been disappointed yet. The tumbling part you mentioned sounds like the bullet is kinda flopping around in the barrel as it's going thru it. The one thing I noticed about your post is your not mentioning what size your sizing your 38cal too. I make mine .001-.002 (mostly .001) over barrel diameter with excellent results at no matter what speed I push them.

littlejack
05-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the CastBoolits straightarrow.
Jack

geargnasher
05-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Do a search here on loading cast for the .40, it's a PITA to load for with cast, usually requires a custom-made expander spud to open up the tough cases enough so they don't mush your boolits way undersized when seating.

Three basic rules: Pull a seated boolit back out and measure it, make CERTAIN it is at least .001" over GROOOVE diameter. Use SLOW powder, like HS6, Longshot, Blue Dot, etc., and use hard boolits, that means water-quenched wheel weights or range scrap, try to get at least 16-18 bhn out of them, 20 is better.

Understand that this is one of the few calibers that really needs the harder boolits with higher-end loads, most of the time myself and others will recommend softer boolits, but the .40 needs hard lead and slow powder unless you shoot mild loads, then load it with Unique and 12 bhn alloy at 800 fps. If you go with softer boolits, an expander .001" smaller than sized boolit diameter is a must.

Gear

jmsj
05-08-2011, 10:00 PM
straightarrow,
First off, welcome to Castboolits !!
I have had the same problem before. I was using some old commercially cast .358, 158 SWC's and really light charges. The commercial .358 SWC's actually measured between .356 and .357. My gun needs bullets sized .359. Between the light charges and the undersized boolits the boolits never stabilized. I melted down the rest with some range lead and made some other boolits out of them.
I have the Lee TL358-158-SWC and it is a great boolit for me. I lube them using Recluse's 45/45/10 method, look for his "sticky" in the lube section. I lube, size and lube again.
Others have asked if you have slugged your bore, if you haven't you really should. It is one of the secrets to making cast really perform.
I wish I could help you out with the 40 S&W but I have never shot one. It is on my next to buy list (someday).
Welcome again and good luck, jmsj